Subaru BRZ vs Ford Mustang!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 11:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru BRZ vs Ford Mustang!

Thought you guys would enjoy this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD3hg...eature=related

Pretty impressive of the Subaru only being 1.5sec slower on the track if you ask me. Specially when it has 105 less hp and incredibly low about of torque of the BRZ.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:01 AM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

That video was just posted in another thread here as well.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automotiv...d-coupe-2.html

Originally Posted by D3VIL
Pretty impressive of the Subaru only being 1.5sec slower on the track if you ask me. Specially when it has 105 less hp and incredibly low about of torque of the BRZ.
Then again, the Mustang is also 700+ pounds heavier too.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:19 AM
TECH Regular

I'm kind of impressed with both cars.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

We've already debated this, as noted above. The little car is cute, but almost totally senseless for the person who wants either true performance or a semi-comfortable daily driver. This new Toyaru falls short impo.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by It'llrun
We've already debated this, as noted above. The little car is cute, but almost totally senseless for the person who wants either true performance or a semi-comfortable daily driver. This new Toyaru falls short impo.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:20 PM
***Repost Police***

It doesn't "fall short" of anything. It has literally no direct competitors. People who want a car like that are people that just flat don't want a car like the Mustang. What it can or can't beat is irrelevant.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

x2

Everyone was saying how I just don't get it, that this car's not meant for the dragstrip, it's for corners! But wait, it was slower around Willow Springs than a V6 Mustang. Huh.

I guess it comes down to this: are you willing to be slower than just about everyone else on the track just so you can feel warm and fuzzy inside by the way the brakes and the gear changes feel.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol that's all I saw
Old 05-08-2012, 12:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

1.5 seconds is a pretty good gap. That car was designed to be on the track and this every day Mustang put it in it's place.

Not impressed with that little turd at all.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 146 Likes on 118 Posts

I can see what the host, and the test driver are trying to say. Namely, that the Mustang accomplishes, along with most other American performance cars, with blunt force trauma what the Subaru accomplishes almost as well, with performance in things other than HP.

That's not a new critique. The cars being compared are mismatched, but in my opinion what they are saying has merit: "You can make a performance car just as capable, with less horsepower, but more precision."
Old 05-08-2012, 02:32 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
It has literally no direct competitors.
True, probably no direct competitors...but the Hyundai Genesis and the Mazda Miata might come close to being possible competitors for it.

And this might even further reaffirm the potential Miata parallels/comparisons:
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...+and+Driver%29
Old 05-08-2012, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
True, probably no direct competitors...but the Hyundai Genesis and the Mazda Miata might come close to being possible competitors for it.

And this might even further reaffirm the potential Miata parallels/comparisons:
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...+and+Driver%29
the Genesis is massive compared to the FR-S/BRZ. the FR-S/BRZ are basically the same size as the Miata. so i wouldn't even bother trying to compare them.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

It doesn't "fall short" of anything. It has literally no direct competitors. People who want a car like that are people that just flat don't want a car like the Mustang. What it can or can't beat is irrelevant.
No competitors? So, I guess there's no Toyota 86 and no Subaru BRZ...

By the way, it falls short of just about every performance sports car built over the past 20 years... Other than the Miata, which isn't really a performance car in general, what does this car actually out-perform in the sports car performance world?

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
I can see what the host, and the test driver are trying to say. Namely, that the Mustang accomplishes, along with most other American performance cars, with blunt force trauma what the Subaru accomplishes almost as well, with performance in things other than HP.

That's not a new critique. The cars being compared are mismatched, but in my opinion what they are saying has merit: "You can make a performance car just as capable, with less horsepower, but more precision."
Or dropping about 800 lb and making it sit almost as low as a Ford GT...

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I don't wonder why the magazine test did use the Mustang and not the Hyundai Genesis... If that car beats the BR-S, they'd have to admit there's no point in buying that over the Hyundai, which performs about as well as the V6 Mustang. That would shoot down any ideas of "gotta have this precision driving" altogether.

Originally Posted by CaptainDirtymax
the Genesis is massive compared to the FR-S/BRZ. the FR-S/BRZ are basically the same size as the Miata. so i wouldn't even bother trying to compare them.
That massive size difference didn't stop the ragazines from comparing the little thing to the Mustang, which essentially dwarfs the Genesis.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:18 PM
***Repost Police***

This car is obviously not for you, and that's fine. But it is perfect for what some people want. And I wouldn't call the Toyota 86 and Subaru BR-Z "direct competitors" with this car, considering they are the same car...
Old 05-08-2012, 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

This car is obviously not for you, and that's fine. But it is perfect for what some people want. And I wouldn't call the Toyota 86 and Subaru BR-Z "direct competitors" with this car, considering they are the same car...
How much more of a competitor can there be, but an identical car?

I'm not the only one who doesn't think it's all that(looks like most agree). I can't figure out why anyone thinks it's worth the price of admission... Honestly, more comfort, more room, more power, more creature comforts and around the same price(no question, the Mustang can in fact be had for less)... Yet somehow the "feel" of the tiny wannabe makes it worthy... It L O S T ... Lost the acceleration contest, lost the handling and power contest(on the race track)... LOST!
Old 05-08-2012, 10:02 PM
***Repost Police***

S2000 would "lose" in most performance contests against an LS1 F-body as well, but there are still people that would take the S2000 any day off the week (myself included). It is a DIFFERENT CAR, and in many cases that is all that matters. Like I said, it's fine that you don't agree.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:05 PM
TECH Resident

Size gap between the Miata and BRZ is almost the same as the Genesis to BRZ. 2400lbs for the Miata, 2800 for the BRZ, 3400 for the Genesis, and 3500 for the Mustang. I think it's a great car IF it was around $17k, or had around 300hp, but not where it stands. Same goes for the Miata, too much for too little IMO.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:21 PM
***Repost Police***

Size isn't necessarily weight. And $17k? Seriously? Have you looked at what cars in general cost today?
Old 05-08-2012, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gocartone
Size gap between the Miata and BRZ is almost the same as the Genesis to BRZ. 2400lbs for the Miata, 2800 for the BRZ, 3400 for the Genesis, and 3500 for the Mustang. I think it's a great car IF it was around $17k, or had around 300hp, but not where it stands. Same goes for the Miata, too much for too little IMO.
physical size.

Subaru BRZ vs Ford Mustang!-vkl7g.png

i know i've posted that on here before. but nearly 20" in physical size difference is huge between the BRZ and the Genesis.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:09 PM
10 Second Club

i know i've posted that on here before. but nearly 20" in physical size difference is huge between the BRZ and the Genesis.
Yes it is, I hadn't realized it was that much smaller. I was merely mentioning the Genesis coupe and the Miata based on them all having a 'front engined 4 cylinder RWD' configuration along with similar base MSRP prices but there's more to it than that I suppose.
I would've even mentioned the 370Z as well except that it MSRPs for a notably higher amount and is 6 cylinder only (Genesis being 'V6 optional' of course).
But damn, this new Scion/Subaru is tiny.

Quick Reply: Subaru BRZ vs Ford Mustang!