Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Automobile Mag: '13 GT500 kills the '12 ZL1 on the strip, Part 2 of 3

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 12:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Automobile Mag: '13 GT500 kills the '12 ZL1 on the strip, Part 2 of 3

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...0/viewall.html

The ZL1 did its best pass in 12.38 seconds at 114.5 mph, while the GT500 turned the quarter-mile in 11.78 seconds at 125 mph. So there you have it, Ford beats Chevy. But like we said, drag racing is about more than time slips.

Chevrolet made a modern-in-every-way pony car, and Ford built something with the character of an old-school muscle car, overlaid with track-focused technology. The two have very distinct, individual ways of making it down the strip, but the common thread between the two is gratification. Every single pass in the GT500 and ZL1 was a ball, and was so involving that we couldn't care less about our time slips. Sure, we were happy to be turning times less than a second off those that require a full roll cage, but we cared more about soaking up every second we could with these two.

Everyone at Milan Dragway felt the attraction as well. Ford guys loved the look of the ZL1, the GT500's sub-12 second runs blew Chevy guys away, and everyone agreed that both cars are sensational. And since both cars have a base price of $54,995, there was much debate over which car was more of a steal. What surprised us was the ease with which Chevy and Ford guys admitted that. Warring factions of people finally fessing up to the fact that the other side can do something right -- that's pretty cool.
I completely disagree with this quote from the article.

Ford beats Chevy. But like we said, drag racing is about more than time slips.
Getting your time slip after a pass is all what matters.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now I've heard it all
Old 06-20-2012, 12:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

ze1 mph isnt too impressive for the hp , the 125 on the other hand is nice .
Old 06-20-2012, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

12.3 isnt great.

im sure we'll be constantly reminded of it i have a feeling.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
12.3 isnt great.

im sure we'll be constantly reminded of it i have a feeling.
If I were a ZL! fan I would be far more concerned with the trap speed that is 11mph slower.

On a set of tires it is going to be ugly at the strip, and embarassing from a roll.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It is starting to look (to me anyway) like the GT500 is consistently .5 seconds faster in the 1/4 mile. We knew this result was coming though.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTEGetting your time slip after a pass is all what matters.[/QUOTE]
You are correct but you posted that part without posting his reasoning behind it. They are testing street cars on the strip and how well the drive and yes I know most of us don't care as long as we like our et and mph but it's a complete test not just drag car testing. In the end it just shows that the GT500 is a beast when trying to put down that power with such a small tire and the ZL1 is more composed even in a straight line.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:56 PM
Launching!

11mph difference is MONSTER
Old 06-20-2012, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That didn't tell anybody anything they didn't already know. GT500 is way faster in a straight line and the ZL1 handles better.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by firebird99
[QUOTEGetting your time slip after a pass is all what matters.
You are correct but you posted that part without posting his reasoning behind it. They are testing street cars on the strip and how well the drive and yes I know most of us don't care as long as we like our et and mph but it's a complete test not just drag car testing. In the end it just shows that the GT500 is a beast when trying to put down that power with such a small tire and the ZL1 is more composed even in a straight line.[/QUOTE]

when i was running the camaro, i always had a pretty good idea of my time i ran. i knew i was in the 9's when i'd get the shift light flickering in the traps, as she hit 6400rpm at that point. other than that, i knew i was in the low 10's, unless i seriously messed up. i always liked getting my timeslips, because i wanted to see just WHAT i did, and my reaction time. in the pic below, i thought i redlighted, but in fact it was a perfect light....as evidenced by the picture.

also, i judst started reading it......how is it that they so love the shifter here to drag race, yet they pretty much said it sucked in the road race? could it be an excuse for a shitty driver?
i also noted that they didn't give the camaro's rear ratio

Last edited by 1ltcap; 06-20-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well so far it's 1-1 for this comparison I wonder what's going to happen when they test them on the street and the ZL1 comes out the better car and wins overall how many people are gonna cry "that it's bs because the GT500 is faster" like they did on the other comparasion except this time they have actual timed data so peolpe can cry it wasn't a "real" test.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:49 PM
Launching!

the writers of the article had the winner picked before they ever drove either of the vehicles.

they were seriously trying to give the dragstrip win to the ZL1 even after they had times/mphs.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sax1031
11mph difference is MONSTER
Originally Posted by nanokpsi
If I were a ZL! fan I would be far more concerned with the trap speed that is 11mph slower.

On a set of tires it is going to be ugly at the strip, and embarassing from a roll.
I agree with both posts. I'm glad the ZL1 is easy to drive and handles great; but the fact is the ET and mph of the ZL1 is underwhelming at best. The ZL1 doesn't ET any better than 09-12 CTS-V even though the V is heavier, which doesn't make sense considering it's the same motor.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:30 PM
TECH Resident

the writers of the article had the winner picked before they ever drove either of the vehicles.

they were seriously trying to give the dragstrip win to the ZL1 even after they had times/mphs.
Yes. If them flat out saying they wanted the ZL1 to win doesn't say they are bias I don't know what does.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by nanokpsi

Old 06-20-2012, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It seems that until a source comes out with the stang on top peolpe like yourself are going to find every little reason you can to call it biased. There's really no need for them to be since we all know the out comes GT500 straight line king and the ZL1 track king after that it comes down to its street manors and the ZL1 will win so that's why it's gonna win " best all around car".
Old 06-20-2012, 09:04 PM
Launching!

It seems that until a source comes out with the stang on top peolpe like yourself are going to find every little reason you can to call it biased. There's really no need for them to be since we all know the out comes GT500 straight line king and the ZL1 track king after that it comes down to its street manors and the ZL1 will win so that's why it's gonna win " best all around car".
lol

I don't care if the ZL1 wins some mag review. Personally I could care less about road/track racing, and if I did I certainly wouldn't be shopping 2 3800+ lb vehicles that are supercharged to build a track car.

You know it is biased when they flat out tell you they want the ZL1 to win. And then after it gets demolished on the dragstrip, they tell you that for about 60 years now we have all been doing it wrong because the time slips don't matter.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:22 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How is it finding "every little reason you can to call it biased" when the author of the article blatantly shows his bias in black and white? Or did you not even read the article?
Old 06-20-2012, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think most of us had it called weeks ago...the ZL1 handles better and the GT500 is faster. Pick your weapon and put a smile on your face.

Outside of this revelation, these comparo's aren't going to accomplish anything that they haven't during the past couple of years. Those who prefer the new Camaro are going to choose the Camaro, magazine tests be damned. Same goes for the Shelby. I still have little interest in these "halo" ponies...the Boss 302's and 1LE's are more my cup of tea. Ford still isn't giving the Shelby the kind of boxing shoes that a 600+hp 200mph car should be wearing, and regardless of how impressive the technology behind it is....the ZL1 weighing in at nearly 4200 lbs is just not acceptable (to me).
Old 06-20-2012, 09:27 PM
Launching!

I honestly don't know where the 1LE is going to fit in.

With how bad the ZL1 is showing at the drags the 1LE might perform nearly as well, for what you would think would be about $10k less.

Quick Reply: Automobile Mag: '13 GT500 kills the '12 ZL1 on the strip, Part 2 of 3