Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Automobile Mag: Overall, '12 ZL1 outshines the '13 GT500, Part 3 of 3

Old 06-22-2012, 01:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Automobile Mag: Overall, '12 ZL1 outshines the '13 GT500, Part 3 of 3

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...d/viewall.html

The GT500 will likely still win buyers over looking for the meanest, most brutal muscle car available from the factory. The power is insane, the look is intoxicating, and as we've found, the 662 hp on tap (along with launch control) makes it one of the quickest factory-built muscle cars. If quarter-mile times, a 200-mph top speed, horsepower bragging rights, and a raw, muscle-bound feel are what you seek in a muscle car, the GT500 is far and away your dream machine.

That said, the Camaro ZL1 objectively feels like the all-around victor. Despite its 82-hp and 268-pound disadvantage, it managed to set outstanding times on a road course, impressive times at the strip, and feels far more genteel and tractable on a daily basis. It may aim at the same customer demographic as the GT500, and share a similar powertrain configuration and price tag, but drive the two back to back, and they hardly feel as if they're direct competitors. The ZL1's well-rounded behavior, both on and off the track, and respectable performance numbers earn it a victory - though it may well be short lived. Ford is hard at work on a new Mustang that finally gains independent rear suspension. We know little about that car, but it should be obvious to all that the pony car wars are far from reaching a cease-fire.
Both winners IMO.

Last edited by texas94z; 06-22-2012 at 01:31 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 06-22-2012, 06:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

it seems GMs approach is staying the same as its original intent with a 5th gen.

while it has good power and handling its still a nice car to drive and looks great imo.

still, i wish they concentrated just a little more on 1/4 mile performance.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and feels far more genteel and tractable on a daily basis.

nice proof reading magazine author!
Old 06-22-2012, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tainted
and feels far more genteel and tractable on a daily basis.

nice proof reading magazine author!
gen·teel/jenˈtēl/
Adjective:
Polite, refined, or respectable, often in an affected or ostentatious way.
Synonyms:
polite - refined - courteous
Old 06-22-2012, 08:26 PM
TECH Resident

what is their deal with this?

We still wish Ford would bless Mustangs - all Mustangs -- with a telescoping steering column. A heavy clutch with lots of travel may tempt you to scoot the driver's seat forward, but doing so places tall drivers uncomfortably close to the dashboard.

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...#ixzz1yZhSNI4J

i think at 6'2 i qualify as tall. i sit close to the wheel, so as to clutch, and shift better. yet there is zero discomfort for me.

and this?
while the six-speed transmission's short-throw shifter requires a firm hand and a hefty throw
they're complaining about it here? but they loved it on the drag strip/>?

on broken back-county roads, the GT500's tail hops and skitters over road imperfections, resulting in a car that feels busier than it feels composed.

i have yet to feel this in my gt.

These buckets, which are the same as those in the Camaro SS save for embroidered logos and grippier Alcantara inserts, don't match the lateral grip and comfort of the Shelby's optional Recaros.

this is a half assed comparison. of course the stock seats aren't gonna match the recaros. ******* retard.
that said, my buddys 010 seats feel more comfy to me than my seats do.

objectively feels like the all-around victor

what a crock of ****. as stated in the second installment, there was nothing objective about this test.

all that said, i'd gladly take the keys to either of them.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anytime you test a cars worth on the streets it's always going to be subjective nothing you can do about that so you have to decide if your going to accept that persons opinion or not.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:06 PM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by texas94z
Both winners IMO.
Nice try, but you cannot stop it.

A **** storm is coming.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by firebird99
Anytime you test a cars worth on the streets it's always going to be subjective nothing you can do about that so you have to decide if your going to accept that persons opinion or not.
i'm still sticking with my "german that hates both ford and chevy" theory. regardless of what they say, we know it'll be a totally unbiased, objective opinion......'cause they'll hate being in either of them.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:11 AM
On The Tree

If quarter-mile times, a 200-mph top speed, horsepower bragging rights, and a raw, muscle-bound feel are what you seek in a muscle car, the GT500 is far and away your dream machine.
Enough Said, that's what it's used to be around here before that magneto suspension!!!!!!
Old 06-23-2012, 10:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The GT500 will likely still win buyers over looking for the meanest, most brutal muscle car available from the factory. The power is insane, the look is intoxicating, and as we've found, the 662 hp on tap (along with launch control) makes it one of the quickest factory-built muscle cars. If quarter-mile times, a 200-mph top speed, horsepower bragging rights, and a raw, muscle-bound feel are what you seek in a muscle car, the GT500 is far and away your dream machine.

That said, the Camaro ZL1 objectively feels like the all-around victor. Despite its 82-hp and 268-pound disadvantage, it managed to set outstanding times on a road course, impressive times at the strip, and feels far more genteel and tractable on a daily basis. It may aim at the same customer demographic as the GT500, and share a similar powertrain configuration and price tag, but drive the two back to back, and they hardly feel as if they're direct competitors. The ZL1's well-rounded behavior, both on and off the track, and respectable performance numbers earn it a victory - though it may well be short lived. Ford is hard at work on a new Mustang that finally gains independent rear suspension. We know little about that car, but it should be obvious to all that the pony car wars are far from reaching a cease-fire. .
The only problem I have with their outcome is that it sounds like they're awarding the car that was easiest to drive. I don't have a problem with that per se, as it was a big selling point for the new Nissan GT-R. I just don't think I'd purchase a 500+hp pony car based on its "ease of driving" characteristics. You go into a purchase like that looking for violence and thrills...IMO. Still, a potential buyer can read between the lines here and still make a good decision based on these results...as subjective as they may be.

Get the ZL1 if you want a well behaved beast, get the Shelby if you want an old school adrenaline rush.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:52 AM
TECH Resident

well....the whole idea of something like either of these cars IS that rush......
Old 06-23-2012, 01:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
The only problem I have with their outcome is that it sounds like they're awarding the car that was easiest to drive. I don't have a problem with that per se, as it was a big selling point for the new Nissan GT-R. I just don't think I'd purchase a 500+hp pony car based on its "ease of driving" characteristics. You go into a purchase like that looking for violence and thrills...IMO. Still, a potential buyer can read between the lines here and still make a good decision based on these results...as subjective as they may be.

Get the ZL1 if you want a well behaved beast, get the Shelby if you want an old school adrenaline rush.
That's what I got out of reading this, this guy likes a car that is easy to drive and that's why he picked the ZL1. I want a car that has the ability to scare the **** out of me, not one that anyone can hop in and run near-pro times with.

Anyone looking for a car that's fun on a road course should get a Corvette GS and have something that is made for track duty, rather than a 1000lb heavier Camaro. The Camaro/Mustang battle has ALWAYS been about speed and horsepower, and the GT500 has a major advantage in both of those categories.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
what is their deal with this?

We still wish Ford would bless Mustangs - all Mustangs -- with a telescoping steering column. A heavy clutch with lots of travel may tempt you to scoot the driver's seat forward, but doing so places tall drivers uncomfortably close to the dashboard.
None of these new hydraulic clutches are what I would call heavy. The old cable clutches had a lot more resistence. Maybe they are comparing it to the clutches in the Inline 4 cars. The Cobalt SS I drove was a challenge just becasue there was soo little resitence inn the pedal. Got used to it quick, but right off the lot, it was a little odd.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
None of these new hydraulic clutches are what I would call heavy. The old cable clutches had a lot more resistence. Maybe they are comparing it to the clutches in the Inline 4 cars. The Cobalt SS I drove was a challenge just becasue there was soo little resitence inn the pedal. Got used to it quick, but right off the lot, it was a little odd.
you could be right. the clutch in my gt is too light. not light enough that i'm even remotley unhappy......but it should be a little heavier feeling in my opinion.
if i could get it to feel just like the one in my fox mustang felt, i'd be happy.

i think they're complaining about the extra effort, for a couple of reasons. first off, they're looking for something to complain about. i mean....c'mon.....they couldn't find anything legit, so they bring up a telescoping wheel and clutch effort? i'd bet the ranch that they wouldn't complain about those same things on the camaro.
secondly, ford made it known that they put a heavier duty pressure plate, and clutch disc in this car for the extra power. that's probably helping focus them on this part of the car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Automobile Mag: Overall, '12 ZL1 outshines the '13 GT500, Part 3 of 3