Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Is GM in trouble again?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 02:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lightbulb

A friend of mine got a new Malibu Eco recently and I rode in it a couple of weeks ago, I am VERY impressed with how solid and quiet it is, real comfortable ride too.

On a trip to Maryland last month he got over 44mpg averaging over 70mph and the car/engine still isn't even fully broken in yet (low miles).
Old 08-18-2012, 09:18 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

GM being in trouble wouldn't surprise me. Their passenger line of vehicles is still a complete joke in comparison to their competitors. The only thing GM makes that's still appealing to the public are their trucks and performance cars. Unfortunately trucks and performance cars alone won't keep a company alive.

Of course there's always the rental car lots to buy up all their bland **** they keep pumping out every year.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:24 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian
GM being in trouble wouldn't surprise me. Their passenger line of vehicles is still a complete joke in comparison to their competitors. The only thing GM makes that's still appealing to the public are their trucks and performance cars. Unfortunately trucks and performance cars alone won't keep a company alive.

Of course there's always the rental car lots to buy up all their bland **** they keep pumping out every year.
Umm...wat? Almost every single one of their passenger vehicles is newish design that is, at least, comparable to the rest of the vehicles in it's class, if not one of the best. The only real weak spot is the Impala, but it has an all new design coming very soon.

The Equinox/Terrain twins aren't that great in their class and have ho-hum consumer reviews from what I've seen, but they're selling like hotcakes in my area at least.

The Buck lineup are all great cars...their direct competition is kind of vague (higher class than your normal family sedans, but not enough car for the likes of the true luxury/sport brands) However Cadillac has most of the latter covered very well.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian

chevy cruzes are good cars and solid sellers. GM had a solid month in june so who knows.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2012/07/...y-the-numbers/
Old 08-20-2012, 01:08 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by justin455
Umm...wat? Almost every single one of their passenger vehicles is newish design that is, at least, comparable to the rest of the vehicles in it's class, if not one of the best. The only real weak spot is the Impala, but it has an all new design coming very soon.

The Equinox/Terrain twins aren't that great in their class and have ho-hum consumer reviews from what I've seen, but they're selling like hotcakes in my area at least.

The Buick lineup are all great cars...their direct competition is kind of vague (higher class than your normal family sedans, but not enough car for the likes of the true luxury/sport brands) However Cadillac has most of the latter covered very well.
Exactly.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
A few years ago I had a chance to ride in a Malibu, a Accord and a my ex gf had a Camery. To me the Malibu was far nicer. It and the accord were rentals. The Accord felt rough, rode rough, and had less power. I could not stand riding in the her Camery. The interior in it was decent but the car was gutless. It felt like I was driving a appliance not a car. I don't know how either of those could be chosen over the Malibu. The Malibu handled great and was a much better looking car imo.

I think part of the problem is the press. When I go drive these cars back to back I rarely see it the way the mags do.

We're talking about today's cars. Sure the 2008 Camry was so so. But my wife's 2012 Camry SE poops all over the current Mali and Impala. I also daily drive 2009 Nissan Altima and wish I had a 2013 Ford Fusion Titanium with the 2.0 Ecoboost.

If GM ever does die, I hope Ford buys the corvette brand and slaps a 3.7 twin turbo in it.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by caseypayne69
If GM ever does die, I hope Ford buys the corvette brand and slaps a 3.7 twin turbo in it.
You WANT to see a V6 powered Ford Corvette? I've read a lot of dumb **** on the internet, but you just eclipsed everything else. Do us all a favor - don't have kids.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:44 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
You WANT to see a V6 powered Ford Corvette? I've read a lot of dumb **** on the internet, but you just eclipsed everything else. Do us all a favor - don't have kids.

oh man, that may be sig worthy
Old 08-21-2012, 09:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

We're talking about today's cars. Sure the 2008 Camry was so so. But my wife's 2012 Camry SE poops all over the current Mali and Impala. I also daily drive 2009 Nissan Altima and wish I had a 2013 Ford Fusion Titanium with the 2.0 Ecoboost.

They were all comparable same year cars. Now you want to compare the brand new latest greatest from toyankmyjunk. Figures, coming from someone that wants a ford v6 in a vette. From what I could tell the toyota needed a hell of a improve in the handleing and power department just to carry the Malibue's groceries.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

So we could have a heavier, bigger, more complex/expensive Corvette that makes less power, get comparable gas mileage and sounds worse?
Good idea.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:50 PM
TECH Regular

I was just trolling and being a punk.

That comment was based on rumors. I've heard we could see a V6 turbo as an option some day.

I'm saving for either a 2013 Focus ST or the 2015 50th Mustang. Can't wait to see it.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:59 PM
TECH Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
So we could have a heavier, bigger, more complex/expensive Corvette that makes less power, get comparable gas mileage and sounds worse?
Good idea.
I'll respond to you.

Lighter? I know the LS engine is lighter the the 5.0 Coyota engine but at least Ford can design a lighter chassis with more trunk and rear seat space.

I'm sure a 3.7 V6 turbo can be designed lighter than a 5.7 OHV engine.

Apparently small turbo engines are in. Look at Ford and now look at GM. Who is getting negative news with there financials and market share? GM.

F-150 is the number one sold pick-up. The 3.5 Ecoboost is the most purchased engine option.
Ford owners are in open arms over smaller engines with turbo's. A v6 turbo Vette could be a breathe of fresh air.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:58 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Possibly, but not likely.
DOHC 24 valve V6 with turbocharger, intercooler(s) and all of the associated turbo/intercooler plumbing versus compact naturally aspirated OHV V8, I dunno.
And Corvettes aren't 5.7L any more, although I suppose that the base C7 could be 5.7L once again.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'll respond to you.

Lighter? I know the LS engine is lighter the the 5.0 Coyota engine but at least Ford can design a lighter chassis with more trunk and rear seat space.
Trolling again?
Gm used a sedan chassis for the camaro we all know this, get over it.
Ford finally made a respectable mustang, and now the Camaro has some actual competition, I see this as a good thing.

Unlikely. The OHC engine itself will likely be the same weight or more (and bigger in size) as an LS engine (roughly 400lbs), then add the turbo(s), intercooler and all the piping...

Apparently small turbo engines are in. Look at Ford and now look at GM. Who is getting negative news with there financials and market share? GM.
And this has everything to do with a turbo V6 right? Really? Really?

F-150 is the number one sold pick-up. The 3.5 Ecoboost is the most purchased engine option.
Ford owners are in open arms over smaller engines with turbo's.
Cool story bro.
Those are trucks, not purpose built sports cars. If I were to buy a new F150 Id likely go with the ecoboost as well, but only because their V8 is nothing special, and the ecoboost does the same thing except with better gas mileage. - I wouldn't care about engine size/weight/sound with a work truck...
A v6 turbo Vette could be a breathe of fresh air.
Or an utter failure. I don't see the point of adding weight, size, cost and complexity for no power gains(and a much worse exhaust note) ,only to be "different".
Old 08-22-2012, 08:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
DOHC 24 valve V6 with turbocharger, intercooler(s) and all of the associated turbo/intercooler plumbing versus compact naturally aspirated OHV V8, I dunno.
And Corvettes aren't 5.7L any more, although I suppose that the base C7 could be 5.7L once again.
The 5.0 Coyote is only 15lbs heavier than the LS3 with 32 valves, 4 cams instead of one, etc. I'm not sure what the 3.7 weighs (is it aluminum even?), but they could easily make it lighter if the 5.0 is only 15lbs more than the LS3.

GM really needs to get the ball rolling on some more interesting cars. Aside from the Corvette and Camaro, I never hear anyone talking about how good the new Chevy XXXX is.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by gocartone
The 5.0 Coyote is only 15lbs heavier than the LS3 with 32 valves, 4 cams instead of one, etc. I'm not sure what the 3.7 weighs (is it aluminum even?), but they could easily make it lighter if the 5.0 is only 15lbs more than the LS3.

GM really needs to get the ball rolling on some more interesting cars. Aside from the Corvette and Camaro, I never hear anyone talking about how good the new Chevy XXXX is.
cruze, sonic and volt seem to be highly regarded.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:08 PM
***Repost Police***

The Cruze and Sonic are good, but neither is segment-leading...which is what GM needs right now.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gocartone
Apples to oranges.
undressed vs undressed the LS3 is closer to being 100lbs lighter than the coyotee: (444lbs vs 357lbs)
-looks like Ford is weighing theirs with no flywheel, exhaust manifolds, starter or anything else while GM's crate engines come with all that (and are included in the weight)
http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com...-6007-m50b.htm
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ed-engine.html
Old 08-22-2012, 10:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

^^^^This is more accurate. I have weighed aluminum 4.6's in race trim vs ls in race trim.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
its not going to be 5.7l. gm already said 6.2

Quick Reply: Is GM in trouble again?