Go Back   LS1TECH > WEBSITE ACTIVITY FORUMS > Automotive News, Media & Press
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 08-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
***Repost Police***
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0
Default Is GM in trouble again?

Something about learning from mistakes...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/louiswoo...kruptcy-again/
I just don't see how 1k lbs extra would make that truck have shittier mpg. I know weight and gearing help mpg but if they can make a vette with 450hp n trq or more get 30mpg im sure they can make a truck to do the same with an NA gas engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irunelevens View Post
Seriously? Weight, gearing, AERO-MOTHAF*CKING-DYNAMICS!! I can't believe you are seriously an engineering student. Are you a freshman?
Quote:
Originally Posted by "MAC" View Post
Yea i am a freshman.
Irunelevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
TECH Addict
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 1

Interesting:

1 segment. Isn't Impala on the same architecture, but stretched, giving you effectively two players.

Data points from the 60's, when most foreign cars were absent.

Malibu Eco. Not even reeally a full hybrid, cheaper price point than other hybrids. Tested against non hybrid cars.

Not really sure there is enough there to make a blanket statement.

It is almost like saying becasue VW does not have a full size truck, that they are doomed.
1999 Silver Camaro SS #3347
TS&P Lid, SSRA, ASP Pulley, LS6 Intake, Hotcam, Jet-Hot LT's, True Duals

381 rwhp/373 rwtq
SSCamaro99_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
***Repost Police***
Garage is empty, add now

The problem was that the Malibu Eco didn't get any better gas mileage than the regular cars it was tested against, and wasn't good enough in other areas. Did you read the article, or just skim it?
I just don't see how 1k lbs extra would make that truck have shittier mpg. I know weight and gearing help mpg but if they can make a vette with 450hp n trq or more get 30mpg im sure they can make a truck to do the same with an NA gas engine
Quote:
Seriously? Weight, gearing, AERO-MOTHAF*CKING-DYNAMICS!! I can't believe you are seriously an engineering student. Are you a freshman?
Quote:
Yea i am a freshman.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
Old School Heavy
1965 Buick Skylark

Trader Rating: 14

The Ford Fusion is the best car in that class and the best value. That is the bread and butter car. They need to get a clue and make that target car great. Since it is the best seller, it has the most effect on their overall brand reputation.

65 Skylark My Build Thread - LQ9, 3.90 Gears, TH200-4Rr w/4000 ~ 2013 BMP NMCA Nationals True Street 12.00 Winner
Best on motor 11.05 @ 121.31 ~ 10.04 @ 133.35 on spray ~ 10 second pass track video

Last edited by speedtigger; 08-16-2012 at 03:50 PM..
speedtigger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #5
TECH Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 4

in trouble again? if it was not so sad it would be funny.

as much as a supporter ive been of GM theres times i could care less if they go away forever.

415/391 MD.
more stuff coming soon!

QS m6 05 GTO. LPE CAI, magnaflow catback. ported 243s, ls3 cam. tune. 345/340 stock manifolds.MD. its for sale.
ULTIMATEORANGESS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now

Not surprised. I anticipated the slide to continue when their first financials were being released that showed the profitability of a company fresh out of bankruptcy was quite low
88blackgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #7
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now

Politics at its finest.

Forbes - Leadership, Not Another Bailout, Will Fix GM (And No, It Is Not Going Bankrupt)
Old 08-16-2012, 09:29 PM   #8
***Repost Police***
Garage is empty, add now

Also a good read
Quote:
Quote:
Yea i am a freshman.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:01 AM   #9
ZV8
12 Second Club
1968 Chevrolet C-Series
My Garage

Trader Rating: 2

They only invested $85B into GM, but GAVE over $800B of US TAX MONEY to INTERNATIONAL banks and they want to ask why GM is struggling in a doomed economy??? ******* traitors in office need to be imprisoned

1963 Chevy Biscayne - 327/TH350 cruiser...Pro-touring project.
ZV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:14 AM   #10
TECH Veteran
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 12
Send a message via AIM to Wnts2Go10O

lol but i thought once we bailed out gm itd be lollipops and rainbows
I think the national anthem ought to be sung in English, and I think people who want to be a citizen of this country ought to learn English and they ought to learn to sing the national anthem in English.
May 1 2011
Wnts2Go10O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:53 AM   #11
TECH Addict
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 6
Send a message via ICQ to HioSSilver

A few years ago I had a chance to ride in a Malibu, a Accord and a my ex gf had a Camery. To me the Malibu was far nicer. It and the accord were rentals. The Accord felt rough, rode rough, and had less power. I could not stand riding in the her Camery. The interior in it was decent but the car was gutless. It felt like I was driving a appliance not a car. I don't know how either of those could be chosen over the Malibu. The Malibu handled great and was a much better looking car imo.

I think part of the problem is the press. When I go drive these cars back to back I rarely see it the way the mags do.
'99 SS Camaro #3789 6m hard top, crate ls6
new #'s 417whp 395wtq on a Dyno Dynamics
new best 11.2 @ 129.x
old best 11.05 @ 131.3 N/A... stop asking Mike how much I'm sprayin
Ain't **** with out a faceplated t56
Terminated Notch super swap
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw07gt View Post
Hio is actually right
HioSSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:02 AM   #12
Douchebag On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by HioSSilver View Post
A few years ago I had a chance to ride in a Malibu, a Accord and a my ex gf had a Camery. To me the Malibu was far nicer. It and the accord were rentals. The Accord felt rough, rode rough, and had less power. I could not stand riding in the her Camery. The interior in it was decent but the car was gutless. It felt like I was driving a appliance not a car. I don't know how either of those could be chosen over the Malibu. The Malibu handled great and was a much better looking car imo.

I think part of the problem is the press. When I go drive these cars back to back I rarely see it the way the mags do.

This times a billion.
justin455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:44 PM   #13
TECH Fanatic
2000 Chevrolet Camaro

I think the shitty attitude of the people at the GM dealerships and their bullshit him-hawing over warranty work with do more to make people not buy GM cars than the magazine bias. I'll never buy another new GM car after all the bullshit I have had to put up with at the dealership about warranty work. Even when I was shopping I wanted to bitch slap the finance manager, I didn't even HAVE to finance the thing and told him if it was such a big deal I would just pay cash.

Dealership level issues are minuscule when your looking at earning reports and market share percentages, but they aren't so minuscule when you stop and think that this is what leaves impressions with people in the real world and the experience is what they are going to remember when it comes time for another vehicle, NOT the latest magazine articles or JD Power reviews.

I also think their commercials could use some work, to convince people that they are better than they used to be. But, no matter how good your commercials are they can only get the consumers to the dealerships, the dealership itself has to make the person want to spend the money; and from my experience... the ones in this area fail miserably.

I guess this is why the Chinese market is so important to GM, since they buy more cars than the US does I guess they don't give a **** about us.

Oh you drift?... Thats cute.
My6speedZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:49 PM   #14
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 3

It's probably better to read Lutz's rebuttal.....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/boblutz/...-op-ed-pieces/
02 Collector Edition Trans Am WS6 ASC#1956
and a garage full
http://www.fquick.com/banditgs
BanditTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:53 PM   #15
TECH Addict
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
The problem was that the Malibu Eco didn't get any better gas mileage than the regular cars it was tested against, and wasn't good enough in other areas. Did you read the article, or just skim it?
I read it. My point is that his example is based on staistical noise. He is making an assumption based on one car, in one test. LAst years quarter numbers were skewed by Japanese production shutdowns. Really not that great of a study.

381 rwhp/373 rwtq
Old 08-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #16
TECH Fanatic
2000 Chevrolet Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3 View Post
I read it. My point is that his example is based on staistical noise. He is making an assumption based on one car, in one test. LAst years quarter numbers were skewed by Japanese production shutdowns. Really not that great of a study.
Not to mention less brands to contribute to market share percentages or earnings figures.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:49 PM   #17
TECH Addict
Garage is empty, add now

YOu could basically subsitute Tundra/Titan into ths article, against Silverado/F-Series/Ram. By his logic Nissan and or Toyota would be doomed to failure.

381 rwhp/373 rwtq
Old 08-17-2012, 02:55 PM   #18
TECH Fanatic
2000 Chevrolet Camaro

He also talks about GM loosing money on the Opel subsidiary but what he fails to make light of in the article would be the fact that every Japanese, Korean, and other US auto manufacture is also loosing money in the Europeans markets not solely because of the holy awesome and bad *** Passat (I'm being sarcastic, I've driven lots of VW's and hated almost everyone of them), but because of the current European economy.

Every auto maker is going to be shedding jobs in Europe to cover their payroll and expenses in the European market. So its not just GM that is struggling in that area of the globe.

GM has the strongest foothold in the Chinese market out of almost anyone. So how does he expect that to play out with the others struggling for market share there while everyone is reeling from the crumbling Euro market?

Last edited by My6speedZ; 08-17-2012 at 03:21 PM..
Old 08-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #19
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditTA View Post

Man, I love it when Bob comes in and lays the hammer down.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #20
TECH Senior Member
1999 Chevrolet Camaro
My Garage

Trader Rating: 10
Send a message via AIM to SparkyJJO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditTA View Post

Cliffs:

Woodhill is a moron.

I've wondered about the share prices but short term means very little vs long term, plus I'm no market analyst. At the same time a lot of market analysts are stupid anyway.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:08 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
again, agains, cadillac, damian, financial, general, gm, latest, logging, ls1, lutz, motors, news, problems, rebuttal, tech, troble, trouble