Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Is GM in trouble again?

Old 08-16-2012, 01:13 PM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is GM in trouble again?

Something about learning from mistakes...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/louiswoo...kruptcy-again/
Old 08-16-2012, 01:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting:

1 segment. Isn't Impala on the same architecture, but stretched, giving you effectively two players.

Data points from the 60's, when most foreign cars were absent.

Malibu Eco. Not even reeally a full hybrid, cheaper price point than other hybrids. Tested against non hybrid cars.

Not really sure there is enough there to make a blanket statement.

It is almost like saying becasue VW does not have a full size truck, that they are doomed.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:02 PM
***Repost Police***

The problem was that the Malibu Eco didn't get any better gas mileage than the regular cars it was tested against, and wasn't good enough in other areas. Did you read the article, or just skim it?
Old 08-16-2012, 02:19 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

The Ford Fusion is the best car in that class and the best value. That is the bread and butter car. They need to get a clue and make that target car great. Since it is the best seller, it has the most effect on their overall brand reputation.

Last edited by speedtigger; 08-16-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

in trouble again? if it was not so sad it would be funny.

as much as a supporter ive been of GM theres times i could care less if they go away forever.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not surprised. I anticipated the slide to continue when their first financials were being released that showed the profitability of a company fresh out of bankruptcy was quite low
Old 08-16-2012, 08:31 PM
TECH Regular

Politics at its finest.

Forbes - Leadership, Not Another Bailout, Will Fix GM (And No, It Is Not Going Bankrupt)
Old 08-16-2012, 09:29 PM
***Repost Police***

Also a good read
Old 08-17-2012, 02:01 AM
ZV8
12 Second Club

They only invested $85B into GM, but GAVE over $800B of US TAX MONEY to INTERNATIONAL banks and they want to ask why GM is struggling in a doomed economy??? ******* traitors in office need to be imprisoned
Old 08-17-2012, 02:14 AM
TECH Veteran

lol but i thought once we bailed out gm itd be lollipops and rainbows
Old 08-17-2012, 06:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

A few years ago I had a chance to ride in a Malibu, a Accord and a my ex gf had a Camery. To me the Malibu was far nicer. It and the accord were rentals. The Accord felt rough, rode rough, and had less power. I could not stand riding in the her Camery. The interior in it was decent but the car was gutless. It felt like I was driving a appliance not a car. I don't know how either of those could be chosen over the Malibu. The Malibu handled great and was a much better looking car imo.

I think part of the problem is the press. When I go drive these cars back to back I rarely see it the way the mags do.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:02 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
A few years ago I had a chance to ride in a Malibu, a Accord and a my ex gf had a Camery. To me the Malibu was far nicer. It and the accord were rentals. The Accord felt rough, rode rough, and had less power. I could not stand riding in the her Camery. The interior in it was decent but the car was gutless. It felt like I was driving a appliance not a car. I don't know how either of those could be chosen over the Malibu. The Malibu handled great and was a much better looking car imo.

I think part of the problem is the press. When I go drive these cars back to back I rarely see it the way the mags do.

This times a billion.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think the shitty attitude of the people at the GM dealerships and their bullshit him-hawing over warranty work with do more to make people not buy GM cars than the magazine bias. I'll never buy another new GM car after all the bullshit I have had to put up with at the dealership about warranty work. Even when I was shopping I wanted to bitch slap the finance manager, I didn't even HAVE to finance the thing and told him if it was such a big deal I would just pay cash.

Dealership level issues are minuscule when your looking at earning reports and market share percentages, but they aren't so minuscule when you stop and think that this is what leaves impressions with people in the real world and the experience is what they are going to remember when it comes time for another vehicle, NOT the latest magazine articles or JD Power reviews.

I also think their commercials could use some work, to convince people that they are better than they used to be. But, no matter how good your commercials are they can only get the consumers to the dealerships, the dealership itself has to make the person want to spend the money; and from my experience... the ones in this area fail miserably.

I guess this is why the Chinese market is so important to GM, since they buy more cars than the US does I guess they don't give a **** about us.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's probably better to read Lutz's rebuttal.....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/boblutz/...-op-ed-pieces/
Old 08-17-2012, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
The problem was that the Malibu Eco didn't get any better gas mileage than the regular cars it was tested against, and wasn't good enough in other areas. Did you read the article, or just skim it?
I read it. My point is that his example is based on staistical noise. He is making an assumption based on one car, in one test. LAst years quarter numbers were skewed by Japanese production shutdowns. Really not that great of a study.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
I read it. My point is that his example is based on staistical noise. He is making an assumption based on one car, in one test. LAst years quarter numbers were skewed by Japanese production shutdowns. Really not that great of a study.
Not to mention less brands to contribute to market share percentages or earnings figures.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

YOu could basically subsitute Tundra/Titan into ths article, against Silverado/F-Series/Ram. By his logic Nissan and or Toyota would be doomed to failure.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

He also talks about GM loosing money on the Opel subsidiary but what he fails to make light of in the article would be the fact that every Japanese, Korean, and other US auto manufacture is also loosing money in the Europeans markets not solely because of the holy awesome and bad *** Passat (I'm being sarcastic, I've driven lots of VW's and hated almost everyone of them), but because of the current European economy.

Every auto maker is going to be shedding jobs in Europe to cover their payroll and expenses in the European market. So its not just GM that is struggling in that area of the globe.

GM has the strongest foothold in the Chinese market out of almost anyone. So how does he expect that to play out with the others struggling for market share there while everyone is reeling from the crumbling Euro market?

Last edited by My6speedZ; 08-17-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BanditTA

Man, I love it when Bob comes in and lays the hammer down.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BanditTA

Cliffs:

Woodhill is a moron.

I've wondered about the share prices but short term means very little vs long term, plus I'm no market analyst. At the same time a lot of market analysts are stupid anyway.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is GM in trouble again?