Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Automakers' Report Card: Who Still Owes Taxpayers Money?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Automakers' Report Card: Who Still Owes Taxpayers Money?

I thought this was a very interesting article -

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmul...-surprise-you/

It’s been three years since General Motors and Chrysler filed for bankruptcy, but with the political season in full swing, the two presidential candidates have put the auto industry bailouts back in the public eye, at least through the November election. Yet there’s only one Detroit automaker still in hock to U.S. taxpayers and – guess what? – it’s not GM or Chrysler.

Ford Motor owes the government $5.9 billion it borrowed in June 2009, the same month GM filed for bankruptcy. By Sept. 15, Ford needs to start paying that money back. In a government filing, the carmaker said $577 million is due within the next year, and the full amount must be paid off by June 15, 2022.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

So, they have to pay back 5.9 billion in 10 years.

As of 8/13/12, the government stands to lose $25 billion on the bailout of GM and Chrysler.
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...TO01/208130392
Old 09-21-2012, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

Here we go again...
Old 09-21-2012, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just for clarification bailout funds and loans are not the same.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

"I'm buying a ford because they didn't take money from the government".

I just get a kick out of that, I don't care what people buy, I buy all kinds. I just laugh when people use that reason.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Having so many labels for the same things makes it easy for politicians and large corporations to lie to the public.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Marc3.4V6

I just get a kick out of that, I don't care what people buy, I buy all kinds. I just laugh when people use that reason.
Kind of like the whole "Japanese cars are more reliable" reason for buying a car. GAY!
Old 09-24-2012, 04:03 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Marc3.4V6

I just get a kick out of that
Me too LOL.

Salesman: "I will sell you this brand new 2013 SRT Viper for only $35k."

Consumer: "No, sorry, I can't do it, Chrysler accepted government loans so I will have to spend $55k+ on a Mustang GT500 instead."

Old 09-25-2012, 12:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Me too LOL.

Salesman: "I will sell you this brand new 2013 SRT Viper for only $35k."

Consumer: "No, sorry, I can't do it, Chrysler accepted government loans so I will have to spend $55k+ on a Mustang GT500 instead."

Totally believable scenario, dude.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by -Ross-
So, they have to pay back 5.9 billion in 10 years.

As of 8/13/12, the government stands to lose $25 billion on the bailout of GM and Chrysler.
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...TO01/208130392
plus
Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Just for clarification bailout funds and loans are not the same.
= /endthread
Old 09-26-2012, 12:25 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by -Ross-
Totally believable scenario, dude.
Well, then I guess I'd still have to commend that person for abiding by and adhering to their heartfelt principles, even as misguided and almost moronic as they might actually appear to others LOL.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Z Fury
plus

= /endthread
Not sure how you delineate, but GM paid back their "loan" portion of the "bailout" and if the gov't holds onto the stock - and we all hope it recovers to the $50+/share cost - and sells it for $50+ they were never really "given" money - are they not paying it back?

They all used/took gov't money and at least the Domestic three plan on paying it back. Now companies like Verizon, GE, Harley-Davidson, Caterpillar, BMW and Toyota all "took" US money and have either zero intention of paying it back or it hasn't surfaced that they will. That isn't including all the bank bailouts the gov't handed out either.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:01 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BanditTA
They all used/took gov't money and at least the Domestic three plan on paying it back. Now companies like Verizon, GE, Harley-Davidson, Caterpillar, BMW and Toyota all "took" US money and have either zero intention of paying it back or it hasn't surfaced that they will. That isn't including all the bank bailouts the gov't handed out either.
......... This.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:00 PM
TECH Addict

Not sure how you delineate, but GM paid back their "loan" portion of the "bailout"
Loans are funds given to be repaid on a predetermined schedule and interest rate.

Bailout funds were the Government injecting money, buying (appropriating) stock, and then giving those shares to the Unions to cover the unfunded liability of the pension plan.

Basically, GM owed $X to the pension fund of the UAW. They did not have the cash. In the structure of the bankruptcy the government bought (appropriated) the shares, and redistributed them to cover liabilities. In this case the UAW got X number of shares to cover the oustanding Unfunded Accrued Liability of the pension plan. GM has no obligation to pay that money back going forward, even though they were obligated to cover that funding in the past.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure how you delineate, but GM paid back their "loan" portion of the "bailout" and if the gov't holds onto the stock - and we all hope it recovers to the $50+/share cost - and sells it for $50+ they were never really "given" money - are they not paying it back?

GM did the following:
1. Took money.
2. Filed bankruptcy.
3. Took more money in exchange for stock in New GM.
4. Took more money in the form of loans.
5. Paid back item #4, which was by far the smallest of the amounts in items #1, #3, and #4.

We (taxpayers) all hope the Government can at least recoup the price per share for a breakeven, but I'm going to doubt that ever happens in actuality. It will happen, but at the point that inflation has tanked the value of a dollar to the point that the headlines look good ($50 today is worth more than $50 in five years).

Also, all car manufacturers on US soil took government money. The largest economy in the world had crashed - no one is prepared for that. But to lump GM in with Ford is misinformed. I won't argue the other companies. A lot of companies took bailout funds during the crisis - many were forced to whether they needed it or not (I recall a scandal involving a bank that didn't need bailout money using the money for big bonuses because Washington refused to allow early repayment of the money).
Old 10-02-2012, 11:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

One is a loan, the other is Governmental ownership of a public company. How much intrest are we paying on that potential 25 billion dollar loss anyways
Old 10-02-2012, 02:12 PM
TECH Veteran

the govt owns gm and stands to lose around 30 billion dollars

ford took a loan out from the govt. the govt does not own it.

Quick Reply: Automakers' Report Card: Who Still Owes Taxpayers Money?