Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

1 of 33 - 2014 Dodge SRT Viper Time Attack Special Edition

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 08:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1 of 33 - 2014 Dodge SRT Viper Time Attack Special Edition

Viper Time Attack – Ready to Attack Any Road Course]

• Viper TA (Time Attack) spec-package designed for extreme performance in a special road course focused handling package
  • Only 33 units in special "Crusher Orange" exterior paint color will be available beginning third quarter 2013
March 18, 2013 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - Configured in-house by the Chrysler Group's SRT (Street and Racing Technology) team in collaboration with professional road racers, the exclusive, street-legal and single-spec 2014 SRT Viper TA (Time Attack) package is specifically built for the performance enthusiast driver who likes to exercise their machines at the more than 150 road-race courses around North America.

Less than one year since the long-awaited world debut of the new 2013 SRT Viper at the New York International Auto Show, the 2014 SRT Viper TA is set to make its public debut on March 27, 2013 on the same show floor at the Jacob Javits Center in New York City.

Based on the SRT Viper model – the lightest vehicle in the lineup, the 2014 SRT Viper TA package builds upon the legendary on-track capability of the American hand-built supercar using a majority of pre-developed components straight from the SRT stable, that are combined into a carefully balanced package that extract the most out of the Viper ultralow center of gravity, 50/50 weight distribution and largest contact patch in the production car world.

"The new 2014 SRT Viper TA is being engineering for the dedicated track enthusiast, who still wants to drive to the track and take their hobby to the next level" said Ralph Gilles, President and CEO – SRT Brand and Motorsports, Chrysler Group LLC. "We're re-launching some of the fastest production-built cars that people can buy straight from the factory. Our engineers revised the suspension settings to refocus the Viper specifically for track duty, using a blend of components from the GTS and the SRT models, add in the extensively developed aero package and the new Time Attack package is born. We're not only saluting the existing capabilities of our current models, we're also targeting another niche in our customer base with a tremendously capable track machine."

The suspension on the 2014 SRT Viper TA is uniquely tuned and upgraded specifically for on-track usage and to maximize the performance of the Pirelli P Zero Corsa tires which are mounted on ultra-lightweight, multi-spoke Sidewinder II wheels. A two-mode Bilstein Damptronic suspension system features firmer levels of damping and a smaller spread between modes than what is found on the current Viper GTS models.

Shock dampers, springs and road racing derived stabilizer bars have been retuned for optimal on-track performance. The standard aluminum structural X-brace is replaced with a lighter carbon fiber brace that effectively ties the four corners of the engine compartment together and contributes to the 50-percent increase in torsional rigidity and stiffness across the Viper lineup.

Based on the outstanding performance of the world-class brake system on the 2013 SRT Viper, SRT engineers are working in parallel with Brembo on a system that increases thermal capacity and optimizes heat dissipation providing improved extreme use. The brake calipers on the 2014 SRT Viper TA feature a black anodized finish with the Viper logo shown in Crusher Orange.

The unmistakable exterior of the SRT Viper TA features exclusive Crusher Orange paint with black 2D TA logos behind both front wheels, black Stryker logo on the front fascia and matte black, ultra-lightweight Sidewinder II wheels.

An advanced exterior aerodynamics package includes carbon fiber front splitters and rear spoiler, while a carbon fiber rear applique accentuates the rear width proportions and adds another level of detail.

Under the hood of the 2014 SRT Viper TA is the handcrafted, all-aluminum 8.4-liter, mid-front
V-10 overhead-valve engine. Performance ratings are 640 horsepower and 600 lb.-ft. of torque – the most torque of any naturally aspirated sports-car engine in the world.

Inside, the performance driver-oriented cabin of the 2014 SRT Viper TA uses the same standard premium ballistic fabric racing seats from Sabelt, featuring a lightweight fiberglass shell created by a state-of-the-art resin transfer molding technology for mass reduction and long-term durability. Both driver and passenger seats can also accommodate a 3- or 6-point harness for racing belts.

The standard black interior combination includes unique Crusher Orange accent stitching on the cloth seats, instrument panel (through the cowl), center stack, console, pull brake, shifter boot, shifter head, steering wheel and upper doors.

Curb weight is an estimated 3,348 pounds.

Only 33 units of the 2014 SRT Viper TA in Crusher Orange will be built at the Conner Avenue Assembly Plant in Detroit, beginning in third quarter 2013.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:50 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya fergot the vidya:

Old 03-18-2013, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

It looks like a u-haul truck, but I like it
Old 03-18-2013, 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'll take 3 of them
Old 03-19-2013, 06:35 AM
Staging Lane

Sick. This is unquestionably among my top 3 cars currently manufactured.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, please.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:20 PM
Launching!

Awesome!

I love the looks of the new Viper. The lines are beautiful.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

The competition is cool.....but I hardly call a car they're only gonna make 33 of a "production" car. A limited production car would be what it is. More like SRT's vagina must have got hurt a little bit.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
The competition is cool.....but I hardly call a car they're only gonna make 33 of a "production" car. A limited production car would be what it is. More like SRT's vagina must have got hurt a little bit.
Is it only 33, or is it only 33 in orange? Either way, there's a reason this wasn't called the ACR, so we still have better performance Vipers to look forward too. And I would take a sexy slower Viper over a Corvette ZR1 any day.

Also, the article forgot to point out (unless I missed it) that the production Viper GTS and SRT are faster than the one they tested before. Here's the top 10 cars, with #10 being the pre-production GTS.

10. 2013 SRT Viper GTS* 1:35.77
9. 2012 Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4 1:35.40
8. 2008 Dodge Viper ACR 1:35.12
7. 2013 SRT Viper 1:34.63
6. 2012 McLaren MP4-12C 1:34.50
5. 2012 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 1:34.43
4. 2013 SRT Viper GTS 1:34.23
3. 2010 Dodge Viper ACR** 1:33.92
2. 2013 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 1:33.70
1. 2013 SRT Viper TA 1:33.62

IMO Randy still needs more seat time in the Viper as he has consistently gotten faster in the Corvette.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I took it as only 33 being made with that package.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:23 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

33 made in that orange...it will be offered in black and white too from what I've read.

Regardless, the parts themselves could be ordered and applied to any Gen V...it really wasn't that much stuff changed.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

I would have preferred testing the Z-Vette again, since different day, weather, etc. Still impressive that a 4 year old Vette is competing with a brand new Viper. Love the new Viper look too, just not the sound.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:04 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
I would have preferred testing the Z-Vette again, since different day, weather, etc. Still impressive that a 4 year old Vette is competing with a brand new Viper. Love the new Viper look too, just not the sound.
1 year old Vette...if it was 4 years old, it wouldn't have been rolling on MPSC tires, and it would have never been an issue. The 2009 ZR1 lapped LS in 1:35.80.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
1 year old Vette...if it was 4 years old, it wouldn't have been rolling on MPSC tires, and it would have never been an issue. The 2009 ZR1 lapped LS in 1:35.80.
Sorry Meents, should have been specific - 4 year old ZR1 platform, while yes that one did have the PDE option package.

Not trying to discredit the Viper TA, I really like the new Viper a lot, but at 0.08 seconds, that's hardly beating anything on a different day. The first comparo was back to back, to me that is a much better story of two cars. Maybe the same comparison would have been that much worse for the ZR1 against this TA Viper, who knows? But I would rather have seen it done that way.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:27 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry Meents, should have been specific - 4 year old ZR1 platform, while yes that one did have the PDE option package.

Not trying to discredit the Viper TA, I really like the new Viper a lot, but at 0.08 seconds, that's hardly beating anything on a different day. The first comparo was back to back, to me that is a much better story of two cars. Maybe the same comparison would have been that much worse for the ZR1 against this TA Viper, who knows? But I would rather have seen it done that way.
The first comparison was with a pre-production Viper, the production one went 1:34.22. Didn't the ZR1 get new traction management not that long ago too? I look at it as they are comparing a brand new car to one that's had 4 years to make improvements.

The other thing to remember is that Randy has had a ton of seat time in the Corvette on that track vs almost none in the new Vipers, and he always bitches about harder to drive cars. He would rather have a GTR than either, and that to me says a lot about someone as a driver.

Either way, these cars are going to be neck and neck when/if the new ZR1 comes out as they still have the ACR Viper coming.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:50 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

There's no getting around it - it's not that the Viper was bad, it's that the ZR1 is really that good. It'll be interesting to see what these next few years hold for the C7...they've set the bar pretty high.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

it needs a monster truck engine meants ( )
Old 03-20-2013, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gocartone
Either way, these cars are going to be neck and neck when/if the new ZR1 comes out as they still have the ACR Viper coming.
They already are neck and neck. I would hope the new ZR1 (if GM makes one) would out-perform the C6 version.

As for seat time, FIAT gave Motortrend the pre-production car willingly, so how is one supposed to get seat time in a car where no production model was available at the time?

Anyway, Randy's driving aside, I still appreciate the same day track times more than any other. Again, nothing against the new Viper, I quite like it!

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
There's no getting around it - it's not that the Viper was bad, it's that the ZR1 is really that good. It'll be interesting to see what these next few years hold for the C7...they've set the bar pretty high.
Agreed Also, I can't believe I'm saying this, but based on pics, I like the Viper interior better. Give me a TA Viper in white please.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:07 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Agreed Also, I can't believe I'm saying this, but based on pics, I like the Viper interior better. Give me a TA Viper in white please.
They put a lot of effort into that interior...it is light years beyond what came in the 2003-2010 Vipers. I'm not sure how accurate of an assumption it is, but it seems like that's where a lot of the small amount of money they had to develop the 2013 Viper went, and could explain why the drivetrain and suspension are nearly identical to what came in the 2008-2010 Vipers, minus a couple tweaks.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:39 PM
TECH Resident

^I'm glad that's the route they went as it turned a great car to an amazing one. The only thing I don't like is the fact that the Viper is horsepower limited by Fiat now as they can't have a cheaper car with a better power to weight ratio than the Ferrari's.

They already are neck and neck. I would hope the new ZR1 (if GM makes one) would out-perform the C6 version.

As for seat time, FIAT gave Motortrend the pre-production car willingly, so how is one supposed to get seat time in a car where no production model was available at the time?

Anyway, Randy's driving aside, I still appreciate the same day track times more than any other. Again, nothing against the new Viper, I quite like it!
When you compare the ZR1 to other cars out today I find it hard to believe that the C7 version is going to improve a whole lot in the handling department as it's already amazing.

I know he couldn't have got more seat time in the car, but IMO seat time makes a much larger impact on times than not testing the cars on the same day does. Even more so when you consider Randy has always heavily favored easier to drive cars.

Quick Reply: 1 of 33 - 2014 Dodge SRT Viper Time Attack Special Edition