Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 02:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spied - Chrysler Hellcat HEMI Supercharged V8

Dodge Challenger spied exercising supercharged Hellcat Hemi V8

By Brandon Turkus
Posted Oct 23rd 2013 2:28PM

We reported on this engine in May, and suggested that the Hellcat, a supercharged powerplant based on a 6.4-liter V8, would easily generate 500 to 570 hp and could likely arrive boasting more than 600 ponies.

Chrysler's ace in its sleeve has now been spied testing, with a number of Hellcat-equipped Challengers running the potent new engine both in more urbanized areas and under the sun of Death Valley. The hoods on these testers have been raised to accommodate the engine, and that camouflage over the fascias of these prototypes is there to hide a larger air intake. We also note what appears to be a new split grille under wraps. As for power output, our spies are now suggesting a Viper-equalling 640 hp from the Hellcat-equipped cars.

Although the Hellcat is being tested in the Challenger, it certainly shouldn't be ruled out for the coupe's platform-mates, the 300 and Charger. As for when we'll see a production car equipped with the Hellcat, it remains to be seen if it will replace the current 6.4-liter Hemi V8 or serve alongside it as the new flagship engine for the Challenger, 300 and Charger.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

Even with 600hp, the car is too heavy to compete with the Shelby or the ZL1.

Gives the Mopar guys something to drool for though. However, I find it unlikely that Chrysler would put the same power in a Challenger as the Viper, but possible.

Split grille will make it look like a 71 Trans Am, not what a Dodge guy probably wants.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:07 PM
Teching In

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not seeing a "raised hood" here.

If they get the torque up to around 650 it might get interesting even with
4200 lbs!
Old 10-23-2013, 11:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

When are they planning on re-styling the Challenger? Seems like they are due for a refresh no?
Old 10-23-2013, 11:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like they are lagging behind. By the time they make a mark and become something to look at the Camaro and Mustang are going to be out with their redesigns out performing it again leaving it to play catch up, still...
Old 10-24-2013, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rawr256
Seems like they are lagging behind. By the time they make a mark and become something to look at the Camaro and Mustang are going to be out with their redesigns out performing it again leaving it to play catch up, still...
This.

With the new Mustang coming and soon after the 6th gen Camaro both which will be smaller and lighter just makes me wonder why doesn't Dodge just get the ball rolling on a new design instead of slapping a S/C on this big pig.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:44 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jmurray87
With the new Mustang coming and soon after the 6th gen Camaro both which will be smaller and lighter just makes me wonder why doesn't Dodge just get the ball rolling on a new design instead of slapping a S/C on this big pig.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...da-future-cars

They are, probably around the time of the 6th gen camaro. Hell maybe before if we've already seen a concept. Fiat-Chrysler isn't going to make the same mistakes the Cuda is going to be a legit threat to both.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
Even with 600hp, the car is too heavy to compete with the Shelby or the ZL1.

Gives the Mopar guys something to drool for though. However, I find it unlikely that Chrysler would put the same power in a Challenger as the Viper, but possible.

Split grille will make it look like a 71 Trans Am, not what a Dodge guy probably wants.
GM put more power in the CTS-V and the ZL-1 than they did the Z06 Vettes, so I don't think Chrysler should have a problem doing something similar. As we've learned with the GT500, having the most power doesn't automatically make you the best performer. Most rational people would take a Viper over any other high-powered Chrysler car any day of the week.

I still love the look of the Challenger, and if I weren't such a GM loyalist I would strongly consider one.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Z Fury
GM put more power in the CTS-V and the ZL-1 than they did the Z06 Vettes, so I don't think Chrysler should have a problem doing something similar. As we've learned with the GT500, having the most power doesn't automatically make you the best performer. Most rational people would take a Viper over any other high-powered Chrysler car any day of the week.

I still love the look of the Challenger, and if I weren't such a GM loyalist I would strongly consider one.
The ZR1 was out and GM didn't top that HP in any other car...

I agree with your statement, which is why I questioned whether they would do it. I didn't say they absolutely would NOT, just not likely is all.

And yes, we all know that a Viper with 640hp SHOULD out perform the Chally with 650.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:37 PM
TECH Junkie

I like the wheels on that challenger...maybe its me getting old but I'd rather have a challenger over a camaro just for looks and ride quality, that and they have alot of options from the factory which is nice.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
The ZR1 was out and GM didn't top that HP in any other car...

I agree with your statement, which is why I questioned whether they would do it. I didn't say they absolutely would NOT, just not likely is all.

And yes, we all know that a Viper with 640hp SHOULD out perform the Chally with 650.
If a 700hp Challenger outperforms a 640hp Viper in anything beyond cargo capacity, everyone at SRT should be fired and shamed out of the auto industry for the rest of their lives.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jmurray87
Maybe they have. Also, some people like big engined, big power, big looks vehicles.

Why does Chevrolet put a 6.2 V8 with 455hp in their new Corvette when they could easily throw in an equally powerful twin-turbo V6? Because, for lack of a better words, people like "Hot Rods".
Old 10-24-2013, 11:32 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Colesitzy
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...da-future-cars

They are, probably around the time of the 6th gen camaro. Hell maybe before if we've already seen a concept. Fiat-Chrysler isn't going to make the same mistakes the Cuda is going to be a legit threat to both.
That isn't a concept. It's a drawing.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
That isn't a concept. It's a drawing.
Rendering, drawing, concept, I don't care what you call it my point was that they intend to be competitive .
Old 10-25-2013, 03:31 PM
***Repost Police***

Right. But that also means it is several years away. Hell, the 5th gen Camaro concept debuted in '06 in real life, and it wasn't production-ready until '09.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Right. But that also means it is several years away. Hell, the 5th gen Camaro concept debuted in '06 in real life, and it wasn't production-ready until '09.
The articular is like 2 years old, it can't be that far out, 3 or 4 years even.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:42 PM
***Repost Police***

The article is one year old. Bank on production 2-3 years after we see an actual concept car.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

The article is one year old. Bank on production 2-3 years after we see an actual concept car.
I say 1-2.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by -Ross-
Maybe they have. Also, some people like big engined, big power, big looks vehicles.

Why does Chevrolet put a 6.2 V8 with 455hp in their new Corvette when they could easily throw in an equally powerful twin-turbo V6? Because, for lack of a better words, people like "Hot Rods".
I see where you are going with this, but bad analogy.
The TT V6 would be bigger/bulkier (especially with the turbos and intercooler), heavier, and more expensive.

Quick Reply: Spied - Chrysler Hellcat HEMI Supercharged V8