Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Edmunds Full-Test - 2014 LS3 Chevrolet Super Sport

Old 12-24-2013, 12:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Edmunds Full-Test - 2014 LS3 Chevrolet Super Sport

The Half-Price M5 Returns. As a Chevrolet

The SS's styling isn't full of flourish but it is clean and mean.

Published: 12/19/2013 - by Josh Jacquot, Senior Editor

America, it seems, remains bent on ignoring some truly good stuff. Stuff like wagons, diesels and Parker Posey, not to mention big, fast sedans like the new 2014 Chevrolet SS.

This is, after all, the sort of car that built this country. Heck, it's the car that built Chevrolet. So there's some irony in the fact that the Chevrolet SS sedan is from Australia, not to mention that it's called the Holden VF Commodore in that country.

But there's no irony in the fact that the Chevy SS is a for-real driver's car and a genuine people hauler. After all, its hard parts are the same as those of the Pontiac G8, which was a fun and respected machine. But you may already know that. What you don't know is how it drives, how it rides and whether it's worth the asking price. We're here to tell you it does all of the above better than you might think.

Will Hold Its Own Against the BMW M5

The acceleration impresses, but the SS really shines on these types of roads.

With 48 percent of its mass on the rear axle, the SS has physics on its side when it comes to spreading out the load of hard driving. Also aiding that task are standard 19-inch Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tires: 245/40 up front and 275/35 out back. Along with the balanced chassis, these meats aid the SS in a 0.92g circumnavigation of our skid pad, making it marginally less grippy than the wildly more costly 2014 Cadillac CTS Vsport sedan.

The SS confidently slipped through our 600-foot slalom at 68.8 mph while exhibiting a level of control more often demonstrated by cars lighter than the SS's 4,016 pounds. Also consider that both of these handling numbers are virtually identical to those of the last BMW M5 we tested.

Electrically assisted steering is used, but it hasn't dulled this sedan's responses compared to more traditional hydraulic setups. In fact, one of the SS's biggest strengths is steering so well endowed with feedback that we'd confidently toss the big sedan into a powerslide with our mother-in-law in the passenger seat.

A Little Bit of Corvette Under the Hood

The LS3 makes it easy.

GM's proven LS3 V8 powers the 2014 Chevrolet SS. It was used in the last-generation Corvette and in this application it's rated to produce 415 horsepower and 415 pound-feet of torque. A standard 6L80 six-speed automatic transmission snaps off downshifts with aggressive rev matching actuated by wheel-mounted paddles. Power hits the ground through a clutch-type limited-slip differential, which also comes as standard equipment.

The use of the older engine became less of a downer after the SS ripped off a 13.2-second quarter-mile at 107.4 mph at our test track. In the process it hit 60 mph in 4.9 seconds (4.7 seconds with a 1-foot rollout like at a drag strip). That's a fast car, new V8 or not.

It has no trouble slowing down either. Four-piston Brembo calipers coupled with 14-inch front rotors combine to consistently haul the SS down from 60 mph in 110 feet with no fade.

All that and the engine still managed to match the EPA's combined fuel economy rating of 17 mpg (14 city/21 highway) after 475 miles of driving.

A Firm Ride That You Will Like

Tuned for there, not here.

But it's not the powertrain that validates the Chevy SS to enthusiasts and family haulers alike. Rather, it's the chassis — MacPherson struts up front and a multilink arrangement in the rear — that deserves attention. Sure, these are essentially the same hard parts that have been around for the better part of the last decade in various Australian and American models. But here they've been retuned specifically for hard-charging-sedan-loving Aussies.

Wait, what?

Sure, there was development work done on the SS in the U.S., but this doesn't feel like a sedan tuned for American roads. The SS feels like it's built for shaking off pricey German hangers-on in one quick shot of back-road glory. From behind the wheel, where it matters, the SS is clearly dedicated to just that task.

There's solidity to every response that was, for years, the sole domain of the Germans. Now, however, taut dampers and an unyielding structure are the realm of this performance sedan, a change that makes the SS's ride busier than an equally capable German sedan.

Manson stands by the SS's static suspension tuning, calling it a "solid compromise," but he's not shy in pointing out that GM's Magnetic Selective ride control can be adapted to the SS. He says the car's primary benchmark was the 2014 Dodge Charger SRT8, which comes with two-mode active dampers but lacks a compliant ride and can't match the SS's handling numbers.

This Is Not a G8

New look, same great taste.

If you remember the Pontiac G8 you'll likely recognize the SS despite its distinctly different look and feel. The revisions are vast enough that Manson discounts comparisons to the former car sold in the U.S.

"People like to think because the SS shares hard parts with previous cars that it's the same," says Manson. "But so much is different. We've got an aluminum hood and trunk lid that save 22.1 pounds over the old Commodore, and we save another 27 pounds using high-grade steel in critical areas."

The result of that latter change is a 5-6 percent gain in torsional rigidity. In non-engineering-speak, that means the chassis flexes less, which contributes to the more precise handling.

Spacious, High-Quality Interior

The SS's interior is on a different level than the Pontiac G8. It's easily on par with the car's mid-$40,000 asking price.

Possibly the most easily appreciated differences are inside the 2014 Chevrolet SS. The interior is an incredible leap forward. Leather-wrapped trim covers the dash and door panels. The heavily bolstered leather seats offer suede detailing, and a proprietary thick-rimmed steering wheel adds a sense of purpose. There's an 8-inch touchscreen display for navigation, audio and other functions, plus two ***** to manage dual-zone climate control.

Possibly the only interior component of the G8 that remains was its biggest strength: ample rear-seat room. Whether you plan to haul full-size adults or install child seats you'll find enough space to accommodate your needs. Rear access, thanks to wide door openings, doesn't hurt, and neither does a massive 16.4-cubic-foot trunk.

Front collision and lane departure warning systems as well as Automatic Parking assist — which manages steering during parallel parking maneuvers — are standard equipment on the SS. Only two options are available: a $900 sunroof and a $500 full-size spare tire.

A Smoking Deal

Get it while it lasts.

In probably the least fortunate car-launch timing in history, GM announced — just as SS sedans rolled onto dealer lots this month — that it plans to close Holden's Elizabeth, South Australia, plant that builds the Chevy SS in 2017.

Does this mean the end of the SS before it's even had a chance to get started? We have no idea. After driving the 2014 Chevy SS we sure hope it finds a way to stick around. With a starting price of $44,470, the SS is a solid value among large performance sedans. Our test car fitted with both options, and including the $1,300 gas-guzzler tax, totaled $47,170.

That's no small price for a Chevrolet sedan, but compare its capabilities to the competition and the value is clear. At that price, America's wholesale rejection of good stuff (especially the V8-powered rear-drive sedan) looks even sillier.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its grrrrowing on me and it does look good in black.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I love it & wouldn't mind having one as a daily! Hopefully its as popular as lets say a Charger
Old 12-25-2013, 01:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Beautiful Car!! Hope it does well! Would love to romp around in one!!
Old 12-25-2013, 09:14 AM
TECH Addict

The car seems fine... the article, on the other hand, is more than just a little questionable... It starts off claiming this car will hold its own against the BMW M5 and from all indications, that's a rather bad joke, at best. I like it and it is about $40,000 less than the M5. That said, it's NO M5!

Also, the article claims "it's the car that built Chevrolet" and that's so far off reality, it's inexplicable. There was no SS when Chevrolet came about, yet it managed to survive. When the SS came out, it was a sub-model package. Somehow, the 1965 Impala sold over 1million units, but it wasn't actually because GM offered a few thousand SS models that year... In 1961, when SS was introduced (on Impala), Chevy sold nearly half a million and less than 500 were SS models. That is to say, about 1% of them were SS models. Forgive me for thinking Chevrolet made the SS, not that SS made the Chevrolet.

Plus, it's "the sort of car that build this country" simply doesn't compute either. Far more mundane cars are the actual type that built this country(in and automotive sense), unless they're subliminally telling us this car is just as normal as any.... I don't think they meant it that way.

Nice car, poor word choices.

Last edited by TriShield; 12-25-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

13.2 for 45k I think I'll pass. I'd take a low mileage m3 with an extended warranty and be faster everywhere. And you can get the m3 with a stick.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:04 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by It'llrun
The car seems fine... the article, on the other hand, is more than just a little questionable... It starts off claiming this car will hold its own against the BMW M5 and from all indications, that's a rather bad joke, at best. I like it and it is about $40,000 less than the M5. That said, it's NO M5!

Also, the article claims "it's the car that built Chevrolet" and that's so far off reality, it's inexplicable. There was no SS when Chevrolet came about, yet it managed to survive. When the SS came out, it was a sub-model package. Somehow, the 1965 Impala sold over 1million units, but it wasn't actually because GM offered a few thousand SS models that year... In 1961, when SS was introduced (on Impala), Chevy sold nearly half a million and less than 500 were SS models. That is to say, about 1% of them were SS models. Forgive me for thinking Chevrolet made the SS, not that SS made the Chevrolet.

Plus, it's "the sort of car that build this country" simply doesn't compute either. Far more mundane cars are the actual type that built this country(in and automotive sense), unless they're subliminally telling us this car is just as normal as any.... I don't think they meant it that way.

Nice car, poor word choices.
I don't think they meant the SS per say, even as the badge, that built Chevy. I think they meant the big, RWD, V8, family hauler. Basically the Impala and etc., not just the Impala SS.

The author definitely takes some liberties in their writing, but I don't think it's that bad.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:58 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bamalt1
13.2 for 45k I think I'll pass. I'd take a low mileage m3 with an extended warranty and be faster everywhere. And you can get the m3 with a stick.
Well, 13.2 isn't bad for a car this size and while I'd prefer the M3 myself in most cases, I'd take this Chevy over a used M3 unless it were a V8 and the same price. The main reason... comfort. The M5, on the other hand, simply smokes this(as it should). Stick shift is fine, but too many people here seem to put a premium on half-steps in that regard. PADDLE SHIFTERS ARE AWESOME! It's like having a stick shift without the hassle and wasted time...

Originally Posted by justin455
I don't think they meant the SS per say, even as the badge, that built Chevy. I think they meant the big, RWD, V8, family hauler. Basically the Impala and etc., not just the Impala SS.

The author definitely takes some liberties in their writing, but I don't think it's that bad.
I think it's bad. Yes, there is plenty of good in it(the car is good), but when you start on a false premise, you lose big points. Claiming it will hold it's own against the M5 was a wretchedly stupid start. The M runs the 1/4, for example, more than 1 second quicker... It doesn't really get any better from there, except perhaps the Chevy stops quite well. Otherwise, these cars aren't really comparable.

The way it was written, he's saying the SS is the type of car that built Chevy... That tells me he thinks the performance "Sports Sedan" is what did it and I contend there were several cars prior to that which truly did make Chevy. The Impala came from the Bel Air, which is a fine example of what built Chevy... Big 'ol smooth lines on a behemoth of a family sedan. He even says "big, fast sedans like the new 2014 SS" and to me, that's just too far.

I don't need to rant over it, but gee, I wonder why people "ignore" stuff.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:21 PM
11 Second Club

Agreed on the M5 nonsense...a 550i would be a better comparison.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

fyi - the 2014 550i makes 444 hp from a twin turbo v8 and has a base price if $63k.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:43 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by justin455

That's also what I inferred; however, I always have my defenses up when reading anything from Edmunds. Not saying their testing is "bad," but I've always had the impression that they try their hardest to inject a caveat when complimenting American vehicles ("it's good, but...").

Nonetheless, I'm just happy Chevrolet is offering these things -- even if I'm not in the market for it
Old 12-27-2013, 01:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They mentioned in the article that one of the benchmarks for comparisons was the Charger SRT. Running 13.2 compared to 12.40's in the Charger is not a good comparison.

While styling is very subjective, I'd say that the SRT treatment on the Charger/Superbee is way more aggressive looking than this Malibu look-a-like.

IMO, this car is a fail. Too pricey, too slow, too bland, and no manual transmission.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by MikeG
Agreed on the M5 nonsense...a 550i would be a better comparison.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automotiv...-392-hemi.html

C/D's newest comparo says the same thing. As a former owner of a G8 GXP I would say the comparison is valid and very descriptive of the SS regarding how it feels to drive.

Yes, it doesn't match the materials or level of engineering of a BMW but it does match how good one feels to hustle, and at a Chevrolet price. Plus this time around it has all the features everyone wanted in 2008/2009 as well as the ambience the GTO was known for.

It is the best Holden GM has sold yet on these shores and it will be the last one. As C/D said, the car is a bargain at MSRP for what you get. Even better, as time goes by the real transaction prices for them new will drop.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Edmunds Full-Test - 2014 LS3 Chevrolet Super Sport