Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

This may be the precursor of future cars

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default This may be the precursor of future cars

http://news.yahoo.com/solar-powered-...180400958.html

I've been waiting for something more like a mass production solar powered car for ...20yrs or more. This isn't quite it, but definitely seems to be a strong forward step in the direction of cheapest to operate cars. I only wonder why the installed panels don't simply tilt rather than having a canopy for home use. I suppose it's just that difficult.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:31 AM
TECH Regular

Can't believe it until I see it. There have been so many novel idea's that haven't caught on in terms of energy storage while touchscreens and social media has taken off like a rocket. Our roads could power our cards. But car manufacturers seem content with the way things are, and unless it is due to competition like Tesla or the prius, they'd rather not move forward with technology unless it's "comfort." I don't trust them in the least, it's all for show until you see it with your own eyes or until new companies like Tesla push it forward in a serious manner.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:12 AM
TECH Addict

Seems that Ford is doing this for the same reason other manufacturers are doing their thing... CAFE!

Gotta make big brother happy, even if only for a moment.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can it power a small herb garden in the backseat is my question..
Old 01-05-2014, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

Not sure, but i suspect it could. Of course, that would probably smoke its ability to recharge the battery system.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:48 PM
Teching In

A Fresnel lens that large would be, well, hot. Mine is only 3 feet squared, about the size of one of those 20, and it will light a log on fire the moment it's placed in the focal point. It'll melt a chunk of aluminum in a matter of seconds, royally screw pavement, and bring a quart of water to a rolling boil in a few minutes. I have to wear a welding helmet to look at the focal point when trying to sight it in. Now you essentially have 20 of them. Granted, I'm sure all the focal points don't coalesce, and they would likely be set so the solar panels are either before or beyond the focal point, but that wouldn't prevent other objects from getting there. I can't see something like this ever coming to market. I'm sure there would be safety's in place, but a lens that large would be dangerous, let alone your car rolling around in your driveway. There have been many more practical concepts that have never made it. I just can't fathom how this could. I do appreciate people thinking outside the box though, even if I don't think it's practical.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

Well, they're apparently showing it off somewhere, so I guess we'll find out in time. Obviously, if it's too dangerous, they'll never bring it to market, but it seems weird they'd even bring to public attention if they haven't made it safe.

Quick Reply: This may be the precursor of future cars