Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Even faster EVO...but for $57K?...ACK!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Even faster EVO...but for $57K?...ACK!

From:http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...._code=02978820
(08:30 May 18, 2004)

Frighteningly Quick: Mitsu’s special Evo isn’t for the faint of heart

By MIKE DUFF

2005 MITSUBISHI LANCER EVO VIII FQ-330
ON SALE: Now (in England)
PRICE: $57,300 (est.)
POWERTRAIN: 2.0-liter, 330-hp, 305-lb-ft turbo I4; awd, six-speed manual
0 to 62 MPH: 4.7 seconds (mfr.)

SO THE MITSUBISHI Lancer Evo VIII isn’t extreme enough for you? A bit too comfort-oriented, dynamically compromised and generally soft-edged? No, not the sort of criticism most folks would level at Mitsubishi’s fire-breathing rally replica. But over in England, where hot Mitsubishis and Subarus have long been a national obsession, there is now an Evo aimed squarely at those who need even more: the FQ-330.

As you can probably guess, the “330” stands for the engine’s horsepower rating, comfortably out-cranking even the 280-hp MR spec Evo headed Stateside this fall (AW, April 19). And “FQ”? Let’s just say that, in a break with traditional Brit decorum, it stands for—um—very quick. Which it is. Even cautious figures issued by Mitsubishi in the United Kingdom suggest it hits 62 mph in just 4.7 seconds, and one British auto book has already clipped half a second from that on the test track. This is the four-door sedan with Ferrari 360 pace.

The FQ-330 owes its existence to Britain’s famously broadminded approval rules, allowing a performance pack to be fitted by Mitsubishi U.K. to preregistered cars. It is officially approved though, and comes with full warranty support. The modifications consist of an aggressively programmed supplementary ECU, plus a revised wastegate actuator, which raises peak boost to 21 psi.

Suspension remains stock, the standard Evo’s granite springs, concrete dampers and tireless brakes considered sufficient to deal with the increased power. Other changes are limited to badges, Alcantara sports seats and some slightly more upscale door inserts. Ride quality remains terrible at low speeds, but in open country the chassis smooths out and vindicates the faith placed in it, rewarding endeavor with awesome body control and scalpel-sharp steering. The extra power makes the Lancer more tail-happy on longer and wider corners, as the additional ponies make their presence felt. The only complaint is the snappy on-off quality the new ECU gives the throttle response.

Silly car, silly price tag, too. The list price of £32,000 (about $57,300) looks exorbitant, even in England. But it is filling a hole in the market—an even hotter and even more expensive FQ-340 is about to be launched.

So there are how many versions of this car now?
EVO "normal"
EVO RS
EVO MR
EVO FQ(******* quick?)-330

Sheesh!
Old 05-19-2004, 08:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Didn't the VIII do naught to sixty in 4.7??? That is what MT said it did...
Old 05-19-2004, 09:06 AM
12 Second Club

Frigging brilliant. $57,000 for a car with increased boost. Simply stunning engineering. Oh it has a quick 0-60? No ****, it's all wheel drive!!!! Definetly not fast for an AWD 21lb boosted go kart. I wonder where the 1/4 mile times are? Probably not reported because they suck. Would be a fun scca car though.
Old 05-31-2004, 04:39 PM
Teching In

Who cares, Mitsu is about to join Eagle, Plymoth, Oldsmobile, Nash, Studebaker, etc, etc..............
Old 05-31-2004, 04:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bluezaire
Who cares, Mitsu is about to join Eagle, Plymoth, Oldsmobile, Nash, Studebaker, etc, etc..............
I agree with you on that one
Old 05-31-2004, 05:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bluezaire
I'm gonna have to call BS on that one. The EVO is NOT rice. Show me another Sedan that comes close to the EVO's performance, especially for the price. Personally I'm more interested in the CTS-V and S4, but lets give credit where it's due the EVO is a great car.

-Adam
PS...the wing is tacky as hell though but at least it's functional and is the product of Facotry road race testing.
Old 05-31-2004, 06:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Adam Bruce
I'm gonna have to call BS on that one. The EVO is NOT rice. Show me another Sedan that comes close to the EVO's performance, especially for the price. Personally I'm more interested in the CTS-V and S4, but lets give credit where it's due the EVO is a great car.

-Adam
PS...the wing is tacky as hell though but at least it's functional and is the product of Facotry road race testing.
I'm willing to concede that point.
Old 05-31-2004, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

I dont understand why this model is so much more.

my friend has an evo. has some BPU upgrades, IC, intake, boostcontroller, race gas, full exhaust, and cams.

I think hes spent 5K in parts and im sure hes at 350whp if not higher.

why on earth would you buy this car when the cars are so easy to mod with aftermarket parts?
Old 05-31-2004, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jamie33
I dont understand why this model is so much more.

my friend has an evo. has some BPU upgrades, IC, intake, boostcontroller, race gas, full exhaust, and cams.

I think hes spent 5K in parts and im sure hes at 350whp if not higher.

why on earth would you buy this car when the cars are so easy to mod with aftermarket parts?
I imagine it's sort of like the Z06 vs the regular vette. You can mod it for less to get similar performance, but this car is many many many little touches here and there. For instance they mentioned Alcantera seat inserts among other things. At any rate, factory performance tends to cost more as they we have to eat R&D dollars on a smaller run. (testing, certification, proof the car won't be a warranty lemon, etc). There are many costs a car company has to eat that a hi-po parts manufacturer doesn't

all that said I wouldn't pay that much for the car.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

I'm gonna have to side with Bruce here. The upgrades are a bit pricey in my eyes and I would have liked it if they focused on the suspension a bit more since that is where the Evo really shines. But honestly wtf is up with all the rice comments. I love the rumble of the latest LS1 products to come from GM but all this "Evo is rice" nonsense is just as bad and ignorant as the old hp/l arguement ricers throw at LS1 and other American V8 enthusiasts. Geez no wonder the bickering never ends, neither side is willing to grow up and at least accept the other side. You guys sound like Mopar guys from back in the day. Bow Tie and Blue Oval boys could always shake hands at the end of drag races, but Mopar guys tended to despise the competition with a fury. At least that's what I've heard from my grandfather.

I do agree that this car seems way overpriced though. And regarding Mitsubishi as a whole, it needs to do some restructuring in terms of its portfolio, marketing, positioning, management otherwise yes, it will be going the way of Olds and Plymouth. Mitsubishi is Japan's Mercury. No clear cut direction, but while Mercurys are nothing but rebadged Fords, Mitsubishis are different just to be different without offering something special.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:46 PM
Staging Lane

To bad Mitsubishi will be out of business in about a year.

Quick Reply: Even faster EVO...but for $57K?...ACK!