Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Gt350 official press release 11/17/14

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 10:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Gt350 official press release 11/17/14

http://jalopnik.com/2015-ford-shelby...-it-1659587138

MOST POWERFUL NATURALLY ASPIRIATED FORD ENGINE EVER.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC6tKvEy6t0#t=46
Old 11-17-2014, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Shelby GT350 Mustang: The Legend Returns

• All-new Shelby® GT350 Mustang is a thoroughbred capable of tackling the world's most
challenging roads and racetracks

• GT350 is powered by a unique, high-revving flat-plane crankshaft 5.2-liter V8 engine that will produce more than 500 horsepower – the most powerful naturally aspirated Ford production engine ever

• Advanced materials, MagneRide dampers, aggressive brakes and finely tuned aerodynamics push the performance of Mustang to previously unmatched levels

LOS ANGELES, Nov. 17, 2014 – One of the most iconic performance Mustang nameplates of all time is returning, Ford confirmed today with the reveal of the all-new Shelby® GT350
Mustang.

The original Shelby GT350 introduced in 1965 established Mustang's performance credentials. The all-new Shelby GT350 Mustang, featuring the most powerful naturally aspirated Ford production engine ever, is a world-class performance vehicle, designed to tackle the planet's most challenging roads – an all-day track car that's also street legal.

The new GT350 builds on Carroll Shelby's original idea – transforming a great every-day car into a dominant road racer – by taking advantage of a dramatically improved sixth-generation Mustang to create a truly special driving experience. Driving enthusiasts behind the wheel of a Shelby GT350 can expect to be treated to the most balanced, nimble and exhilarating production Mustang yet.

Ford engineers took an innovative approach with GT350. Rather than develop individual systems to perform well independently, every component and shape is optimized to work in concert; balance is the key. While paying rigorous attention to detail, the team pushed the envelope with cutting-edge materials and technologies.

"When we started working on this car, we wanted to build the best possible Mustang for the places we most love to drive – challenging back roads with a variety of corners and elevation changes – and the track on weekends," said Raj Nair, Ford group vice president, Global Product Development. "Every change we made to this car was driven by the functional requirements of a powerful, responsive powerplant – nimble, precise handling and massive stopping power."

Track-tuned driveline
Early in development of the GT350, it was decided a high-revving, naturally aspirated V8 engine would best suit a track-focused Mustang.

"The final product is essentially an all-new powerplant unique to GT350 – and one that takes true advantage of the new chassis dynamics of the Mustang platform," said Jamal Hameedi, chief engineer, Ford Global Performance Vehicles.

The new 5.2-liter engine is the first-ever production V8 from Ford with a flat-plane crankshaft, an architecture typically found only in racing applications or exotic European sports cars. Unlike a traditional V8, where the connecting rods are attached to the crankshaft at 90-degree intervals, this design evenly spaces all crank pins at 180-degree intervals.

The 180-degree, flat-plane layout permits a cylinder firing order that alternates between cylinder banks, reducing the overlap of exhaust pressure pulses. When combined with cylinder-head
and valvetrain advancements, this permits better cylinder breathing, further extending the
performance envelope of the V8.

The result is the most powerful naturally aspirated production Ford engine ever, at more than
500 horsepower, with a torque peak above 400 lb.-ft. The track capability is enhanced by the output characteristics of the engine – the 5.2-liter V8 features an exceptionally broad torque
curve. Combined with its high-revving ability, the flat-plane 5.2-liter V8 gives drivers an
enormous amount of performance and flexibility within each gear of the lightweight six-speed manual transmission. A standard Ford-tuned Torsen limited-slip differential optimizes cornering
grip and straight-line traction.

"Make no mistake, this is an American interpretation of a flat-plane crankshaft V8, and the 5.2-
liter produces a distinctive, throaty howl from its four exhaust tips," said Hameedi.

Balanced dynamics
The new Mustang platform is the strongest in the history of the brand, with torsional stiffness increased 28 percent over the previous model. That stiff structure ensures the suspension geometry remains consistent, even under hard driving on back roads and tracks. Front stiffness is further improved on GT350 with a cutting-edge injection-molded carbon fiber composite grille opening and optional lightweight tower-to-tower brace. The front track has been increased while spring rates and bushings have been recalibrated all around, with ride height reduced compared to Mustang GT.

For optimum handling, the wheels need to respond quickly to the contours of the road and driver input. Reducing unsprung mass is key to improving that response, but a balance must be struck between taking mass out of a suspension and delivering truly capable braking performance.

Due to the significant speeds the car can develop, GT350 features the most track-credible brake system ever offered on a Ford vehicle in terms of absolute stopping power, fade resistance and brake pedal feel. The brakes are two-piece cross-drilled iron discs mounted to aluminum hats.

At the front are massive 394-millimeter rotors clamped by Brembo six-piston fixed calipers with integrated caliper bridges, while 380-millimeter rotors at the rear utilize four-piston calipers.

GT350 makes use of extra-stiff 19-inch aluminum-alloy wheels – 10.5 inches wide in front, 11.0 inches in the rear – clad in state-of-the-art Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires with GT350-specific sidewall construction, tread face and compound. The custom tires are designed to deliver maximum grip on the road or at the track.

Ultra-quick responsiveness to changing conditions is provided by the first-ever Ford application of continuously controlled MagneRide dampers. The dampers are filled with a hydraulic fluid impregnated with iron particles; when an electric current is passed through the fluid, a near- instant adjustment of the suspension performance can be made. With wheel position sensors monitoring motion thousands of times per second combined with other vehicle data, changes can be made to each corner independently every 10 milliseconds for optimum handling performance. This is a system designed not just to make the car handle better but to instill greater confidence in even the best driver.

Obsession to detail
"Everything we changed on GT350 is purely functional-driven design, with the goal of improving the overall performance of the car," said Chris Svensson, Ford design director, The Americas. "We optimized the aero shape of the car, and then fine-tuned what was left to increase downforce and cooling airflow." All bodywork from the windshield forward is unique to this high- performance model and up to two inches lower than Mustang GT.

The new aluminum hood has been lowered and sloped, compared to the base Mustang, tightly wrapped around the engine for the smallest possible aerodynamic signature. Front and rear aero elements have been balanced to work together on the track. The fascia has been resculpted to provide the aggressive lower front splitter with maximum pressure and a ducted belly pan delivers significant downforce. The hood outlet acts as a heat extractor while also reducing underhood lift at high speed. At the rear, much of the engineering was focused on creating an aggressive functional diffuser doing double duty to increase downforce and provide cooling air to the optional differential cooler, and a subtle lip spoiler across the trailing edge of the decklid increases downforce without adding excess drag.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Brace yourselves.

HioSSilver is coming to defend GM's honor.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

That looks waaay better than the GT and has some impressive stats to boot. Ready to see some go around a track for sure.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all that info! I saw this.. https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motora...111623841.html and decided to come here and see what's new and... BLAM!

The new GT350 is going to, if these articles are any indication, SLAUGHTER and new Camaro short of the Z/28 and likely edge it out.

The only real question is, how much... $60,000.00 to start, I would expect. I wouldn't be shocked if it were 65-70k just because they can. Considering the current new pricing, 50k would be too close and who cares how much sense it would make, anyway??

Originally Posted by -Ross-
Brace yourselves.

You know you're right! Thank God, I have him on ignore and my time here is much nicer now. I do get a kick out of his attempts to attack me, which are sometimes quoted by others, but it's less bothersome than to read his direct... you know...

On that note: Prepare for the: 'but but but, it's no ZL1, er... ZO6! It can't possibly beat the top version of the Corvette and errbody nose it, so Ford still sucks! Price only matters on paper.' Like the new GT350, it's coming...
Old 11-17-2014, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

5.2 liter 500+ hp flat plane modular V8.

7 liter 505hp ls7

6.2 liter AMG m156 518hp

ferarri 4.5l f136fl 597hp.

BMW S85 5 liter V-10 507hp

audi 5.2 FSI liter v10 525hp

it is in elite company.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
That looks waaay better than the GT and has some impressive stats to boot. Ready to see some go around a track for sure.
Most impressive part... not so much the engine, although that's cool and all... the 4 corners! Noting the size of the wheels, the tires will simply have to be MONUMENTAL for the Mustang. There's where the handling gets juiced. Of course, magnetic ride won't hurt handling, except added weight. Plus, the positively massive brakes, evidently for the 1st time, all Brembos... will remove fade. In fact, the currently available upgrade brakes work wonderfully by all accounts and these will simply serve to stop shorter still. I'd love to see sub 100' 60-0's, but that's asking too much. I'd expect 102ish.

Thanks to the suspension, this will surely also be the most expensive Mustang ever, even without the 662hp V8 anywhere nearby.

Incidentally, this reminds me of a video I saw with .. can't remember, but a Ford bigwig... he talked about how the wheel houses were larger on the new car, specifically to accept a larger wheel/tire package. Well, finally, we'll see larger tires and wheels! The standard GT should have nearly this size wheel/tire package, but I'd be good with matching... 285 to 305's would be fine for a street car, but they're concerned about economy, I'm sure.

Originally Posted by assasinator

7 liter 505hp ls7

6.2 liter AMG m156 518hp <~M159 is the bad *** these days, eh?

it is in elite company.
The odd man out... the single OHV offering, which happens to be nearly 1 liter larger than the next biggest and nearly(or over) 2 liters larger than the rest. OHC has not just come a long way, it's showing off... Cadillac is next!

For the record, I didn't even check the other engines. I just know the other major manufacturers have generally altogether been using OHC for decades if not at least years and years.

Numbers for the new Ford 5.2L have been all over the board, from 500hp, to "over" to 550... to 570hp. I'd expect as much as 525 and an 8,000rpm redline.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by It'llrun
The odd man out... the single OHV offering, which happens to be nearly 1 liter larger than the next biggest and nearly(or over) 2 liters larger than the rest. OHC has not just come a long way, it's showing off... Cadillac is next!
The LS7 is nearly a decade old and built on a nearly 20 year old platform. What's the heritage of the others in the list?

Furthermore, look at it from the other angle. You're comparing the BEST the world has to offer, the most technologically advanced naturally aspirated engines in mass production. The fact that someone decided to use a decade old GM "dinosaur" pushrod engine as a benchmark shows just the opposite of your "conclusion".

Last edited by Marc 85Z28; 11-17-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brace yourselves.

Per this instruction, we're left to infer that all involved parties are already summarily and sufficiently braced against those who initiate(d) and post(ed) in threads of this despondent nature.

The flat plane is quite interesting. Beyond that, this presents as a laughably abject copy of a certain well-appointed vehicle.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
The LS7 is nearly a decade old and built on a nearly 20 year old platform. What's the heritage of the others in the list?

Furthermore, look at it from the other angle. You're comparing the BEST the world has to offer, the most technologically advanced naturally aspirated engines in mass production. The fact that someone decided to use a decade old GM "dinosaur" pushrod engine as a benchmark shows just the opposite of your "conclusion".
agreed.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

flat plane crank

a flat plane crank! ****!
Old 11-17-2014, 02:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by fruitsalad
Per this instruction, we're left to infer that all involved parties are already summarily and sufficiently braced against those who initiate(d) and post(ed) in threads of this despondent nature.

The flat plane is quite interesting. Beyond that, this presents as a laughably abject copy of a certain well-appointed vehicle.
Oh. I see HioSSilver's brother decided to participate and brought his dictionary, but not his sense of humor.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

First off I love to see the envelope being pushed.

second.....the problem with the envelope getting pushed so does price

Brace yourselves.

Hhhuuuuhh......what's to defend? This car has beat anything yet. Nice to see I'm living in your mind rent free.....lol
Originally Posted by It'llrun
Thanks for all that info! I saw this.. https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motora...111623841.html and decided to come here and see what's new and... BLAM!

The new GT350 is going to, if these articles are any indication, SLAUGHTER and new Camaro short of the Z/28 and likely edge it out.

The only real question is, how much... $60,000.00 to start, I would expect. I wouldn't be shocked if it were 65-70k just because they can. Considering the current new pricing, 50k would be too close and who cares how much sense it would make, anyway??

You know you're right! Thank God, I have him on ignore and my time here is much nicer now. I do get a kick out of his attempts to attack me, which are sometimes quoted by others, but it's less bothersome than to read his direct... you know...

On that note: Prepare for the: 'but but but, it's no ZL1, er... ZO6! It can't possibly beat the top version of the Corvette and errbody nose it, so Ford still sucks! Price only matters on paper.' Like the new GT350, it's coming...
Why would you even compare a base 6gen to this car? So far it looks like the new mustang has enough problems with the 5gen.
Originally Posted by assasinator

7 liter 505hp ls7

6.2 liter AMG m156 518hp

it is in elite company.
Eehhhh......not really. Late to the party is more like it.
Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28

This.

hopefully gm continues with NA development to compete with this car. If they do I don't think this gt350 power plant will seem very impressive.

I see this car goin around $70k...... to much for my blood.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've always been a GM guy, but this GT350 is bad ***. Impressive numbers, I like the look (subjective, I know), and the sound of that engine is amazing. I doubt I'd ever own a Mustang over a Camaro, but it nice to see Ford building cars like this so GM doesn't slack when making the next Camaro.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:16 PM
TECH Junkie

I will also assume the price will be dumb. I think they will try to get under the Z28 price. Maybe around $65k?
Old 11-17-2014, 03:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Hhhuuuuhh......what's to defend? This car has beat anything yet. Nice to see I'm living in your mind rent free.....lol
I'm just messing with you. No big deal.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I will also assume the price will be dumb. I think they will try to get under the Z28 price. Maybe around $65k?
If they were smart they'd target the ZL1's price point, but I think you're closer to right. I'm betting a couple grand more than the Hellcats.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:55 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The thought of a flat plane crank modular V8 gets my dick hard. I wanna hear it under load and deceleration. Free revving is nice, but I wanna hear it pop off the redline on a hard shift.

Quick Reply: Gt350 official press release 11/17/14