Honda fined $70 Million

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

Default Honda fined $70 Million

Shady business making automobiles!

By Elvina Nawaguna

Honda Motor Co. has agreed to pay $70 million to the U.S. government in penalties for failing to report hundreds of injuries, deaths and other consumer claims involving its cars, transportation officials said on Thursday.

Honda will pay two $35 million fines, making it the largest amount ever paid by an automaker as a result of an investigation by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration. The agency's fines are capped by law at $35 million per incident. Other automakers have settled civil claims with the U.S. government over safety defects for far more.

The automaker has been under investigation for violations of NHTSA's Early Warning Reporting regulations. The rules require automakers to report quickly any information about possible defects, deaths and injuries or damage and warranty claims made by consumers.

In November, Honda revealed it had failed to report 1,729 cases involving deaths or injuries between July 2003 and June 2014.

Eight of those incidents involved Takata Corp air bags that had ruptured and have been the subject of massive recalls and federal investigations.

"One thing we cannot tolerate and will not tolerate is an automaker failing to report to us any safety issues, because if we don't know about these problems, we're missing an essential piece of the puzzle in the recall efforts we use to fix them and to protect the public," U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx said during a news call.

The automaker had earlier attributed its disclosure transgressions to data entry and computer programing errors, and also said it had relied on an "overly narrow interpretation" of its legal reporting requirements

"We have resolved this matter and will move forward to build on the important actions Honda has already taken to address our past shortcomings in early warning reporting,” Rick Schostek, executive vice president of Honda North America Inc, said in a statement.

The company said it was initiating new training regimens, changing internal reporting policy and enhancing oversight of its early warning reporting process.

Foxx said the $35 million cap per case need to be lifted, because a single violation could lead to a death.

"In this situation, we're talking about 11 years - 11 years of information we did not have. It's egregious and I think the penalties reflect that," Foxx said.

https://ca.autos.yahoo.com/news/hond...193743954.html
Old 01-10-2015, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THAT is a serious story! I wonder how similar stories might play out with other companies using the same air bags... of course, other issues aside. Other companies may not have failed to report...
Old 01-11-2015, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by It'llrun
THAT is a serious story! I wonder how similar stories might play out with other companies using the same air bags... of course, other issues aside. Other companies may not have failed to report...
Agreed, and it occurred over 10 years. Surprised no one else seems to care.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
Agreed, and it occurred over 10 years. Surprised no one else seems to care.
I guess they just know they'll never buy a Honda... heh
Old 01-11-2015, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess they just know they'll never buy a Honda... heh
Lol, I guess.

Just thought it was interesting given the GM ignition problems, and all the buzz around that - here is Honda hiding 10 years worth of faulty equipment and deaths and no one bats an eye.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
Lol, I guess.

Just thought it was interesting given the GM ignition problems, and all the buzz around that - here is Honda hiding 10 years worth of faulty equipment and deaths and no one bats an eye.

It's much like Toyota... people just think it's worthy anyway. I've owned 2 Honda vehicles... well 1 and a slew of motorcycles and there have been enough owned by family and friends that I realize, they're not special. Go to a dealership though, and ask about any of them and you'll quickly be in the middle of a brain-washing! It's weird...
Old 01-12-2015, 07:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's much like Toyota... people just think it's worthy anyway. I've owned 2 Honda vehicles... well 1 and a slew of motorcycles and there have been enough owned by family and friends that I realize, they're not special. Go to a dealership though, and ask about any of them and you'll quickly be in the middle of a brain-washing! It's weird...
Agreed, especially on the Toyota part. I have owned two CBRs (plan on another sooner than later hopefully), and currently have a Honda quad 700XX. I'm not against Hondas, I like their small engine reliability, but I don't think I will ever a Honda car/SUV.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well if nothing else, the article made me take the time to check and find out that my wife's '07 Accord is on the recall list. ****, now I've got to take it to the dealer.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:43 AM
***Repost Police***

Luckily my Civic isn't on the last, and neither is my sister's TL.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

More folks really should look at this... many here have Honda's, I'm sure. The older ones are cheap enough and people like their reliability or looks, etc.

Quick Reply: Honda fined $70 Million