Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

REMATCH: C7 Z06 beats Nismo GTR

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 09:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default REMATCH: C7 Z06 beats Nismo GTR

I posted in the previous thread about the C7 Z06 having been out of alignment and that resulting in major oversteer.
GM realigned the car and updated the dampener software for softer settings (this will be available to download for owners) and returned to the track, beating the Nislow GTR. (would love to see some laps with octane booster like the GTR used)
How did this happen? Rear caster adjustability is pretty rare. Outside of a race shop, most people will tell you it's not a real thing, that caster adjustment only affects the front wheels (the steering wheels). Usually, rear caster is set at the factory and can't be changed even if you want to. It's something Chevrolet engineers added to the C7 Z06 so it could be better aligned for track duty, and when you change the rear camber and toe, you can mess up the caster if you don't check for it. This is apparently what happened at Chevy's alignment shop. Let's answer the obvious question then: How does the Z06 perform when the rear end is aligned properly? Better. Much better. Recall the car previously did a good-but-not-great 1:27.10 during our comparison test. This time? 1:25.00. A massive 2.1-second difference.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz3UqRnqmAd
Old 03-23-2015, 02:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmm very interesting! Glad they were able to clear that up. Seemed weird to me as well 2 seconds is definitely impressive though
Old 03-23-2015, 12:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Rear caster? Hmmm... anyone have pics of how it's adjusted? Seems like just a different name for enhanced toe settings to me. Changing rear caster would have the greatest effect on the toe angle when applied to wheels that aren't connected to steering. Guess it would also change the center distance to the front wheels, but, not enough to make a difference.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was really disappointing when the original came out. Seems like GM really made this a track orientated car over previous z06's. I'm glad they straighten out the problems and beat the gtr. Just wish they did it the first time and didn't need a redo...

Quick Reply: REMATCH: C7 Z06 beats Nismo GTR