Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Cadillac ATS-V+

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Cadillac ATS-V+

Anyone else hear about this?!?! Throwing the LS7 into a ATS-V! GAME OVER for its competitors! The things I would do for this car...

http://wot.motortrend.com/1505_cadil...ls7_power.html
Old 05-24-2015, 09:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn..... Thats badass. Considering the Z28 is already 75k I think this car might be stupidly priced though...
Old 05-25-2015, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

An LS7 can't POSSIBLY require a price increase! They'll add one for the exclusivity, but it's not required, so maybe they'll make it only a small increase.

There's the next Z28 though, right? It would be weird if they continue building that engine, but okay by me.

Also, I'm confident it would beat the V6, but not by all that much. That little thing puts out some pow-A!
Old 05-25-2015, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

NOW I'm very interested in an ATS-V. Curious to see how much the price climbs for this.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Personally I think the ATS-V looks bad ***!
Old 05-26-2015, 01:22 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool, but a little unnecessary IMO. An intake and tune will have the V6 putting out more power than the LS7. GM really needs to add DI to it if they want it to be any sort of upgrade. 530-550hp and 500 ft/lbs of torque would be solid in a lighter package. Not to mention it's been on the edge of meeting emissions for a bit now, I wonder how long they can keep producing the LS7 in its current form.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DoggyB22
Personally I think the ATS-V looks bad ***!
I really love the look as well, but the 3.6 engine (even with 2 turbos) does nothing for me. I hate the 3.6. Every time I drive my wife's Equinox I can feel myself dying inside a little bit...

Originally Posted by justin455
Cool, but a little unnecessary IMO. An intake and tune will have the V6 putting out more power than the LS7. GM really needs to add DI to it if they want it to be any sort of upgrade. 530-550hp and 500 ft/lbs of torque would be solid in a lighter package. Not to mention it's been on the edge of meeting emissions for a bit now, I wonder how long they can keep producing the LS7 in its current form.
I think this is to appeal to the people who were hoping for an LT1 in the V but got the 3.6TT instead. I do agree that adding DI to the LS7 would be awesome, but that could possibly require too much engineering work for them to realistically consider it. My bet is they have extra LS7s sitting around, and instead of letting them go in a fire sale, they thought about showcasing this new chassis by stuffing it into a limited run vehicle. I wish GM would do more of this.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:09 AM
TECH Addict

Switching to DI, they may as well just use the LT1, even if they need a slightly larger cam or something. That's more weight and I know they don't want more weight in that car.

Besides, no big deal that the V6 can exceed LS7 power w/ an intake & tune. 1st, who makes an intake? Next, the LS7 can except readily available intakes and tunes and God knows what else. In the end, aside from the known LS7 issues(which people know how to work around), you'll simply never be able to match the LS7 w/ that V6.

I believe they could use an LT1 and get over 500hp w/ little effort if they want and that the LS7 may get switched to that over time... for now though, the LS7 has such broad appeal, it's borderline brilliant to start w/ that as the V8 for the ATS. It also keeps them from direct competition(sales) w/ the CTS-V by not using the LT... at 1st. Nobody here(I'm sure), but there will be people who confuse the LT1 and LT4 and those people will be Cadillac/GM bashers primarily, which could hurt the reputation and if they go LS7, that's no concern. Then a later switch will be largely ignored by those folks.

Originally Posted by Z Fury
I think this is to appeal to the people who were hoping for an LT1 in the V but got the 3.6TT instead. I do agree that adding DI to the LS7 would be awesome, but that could possibly require too much engineering work for them to realistically consider it. My bet is they have extra LS7s sitting around, and instead of letting them go in a fire sale, they thought about showcasing this new chassis by stuffing it into a limited run vehicle. I wish GM would do more of this.
That's the 2nd thing that came to my mind. The 1st was, "Oh, cool!"

Then, I thought the rest of what you mentioned, except the "fire sale" part. It sounds reasonable to me that they offer an LT1 or the V6, but the LS7... that's steppin' up! Granted, I expect the LT will prove better in the long run, but for now the LS is surely easier for anyone to modify.

Dare I say it, GM in general is doing to OUTSTANDING marketing lately... I mean, thinking about the future before deciding today. It's really looking good and has been since about 3 days after Mary Barra took over. I tell ya, I like this woman!
Old 05-26-2015, 11:56 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

I really love the look as well, but the 3.6 engine (even with 2 turbos) does nothing for me. I hate the 3.6. Every time I drive my wife's Equinox I can feel myself dying inside a little bit...

I'm betting it's far more likely they had extras lying around than keeping a few people happy because they don't like a V6. Pretty much every competing car is a powered by a boosted 6 and everyone is pretty happy with those. Afterall, the extra stock reasoning is the same one we got for the Z/28.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

I'm betting it's far more likely they had extras lying around than keeping a few people happy because they don't like a V6. Pretty much every competing car is a powered by a boosted 6 and everyone is pretty happy with those. Afterall, the extra stock reasoning is the same one we got for the Z/28.
I don't actually disagree w/ you here, but I'll point out, 2 competitors (w/ more power) - the Lexus RC F @ 467hp and the AMG C63 @ 469hp, which both use V-8 engines. Even so, that power is CLOSE, but obviously the V8's still have more potential.

I can't only think of a few competitors and I kinda like 'em all, except I really don't care for the Lexus(not that I'm buying any).

One thing is a bit baffling: Why would they have so many left-overs? Seems they're either not selling well in the aftermarket, or... they purposely made "too many" just for ... use.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:26 PM
TECH Veteran

psst, it will likely be the test bed for a GM DCG
Old 05-27-2015, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

This rumor can be put to rest now. Cadillac is now quoted saying there will not be a V8 option for the ATS-V.

Link to story.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was no way it was ever going to happen. The LS series is a dead platform from a Corporate point of view. Why would you take up production capacity from the LT series (think about making money, not what we think is badass)? The LS7 has been skirting the edge of hydrocarbon emissions since it came out, and GM admitted as much when it was released. Motor Trend was fishing for hits.

I love the LS1tech double speak. Grand Nationals are cool, but the TTV6 in the ATS-V is junk. There is a CTS-V with V8 power available.

he ATS-V TTV6 is the new generation V6, and shares very little with the V6 found in any Equinox at this point. It has titanium rods for goodness sake. Does anybody read the articles anymore.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
There was no way it was ever going to happen. The LS series is a dead platform from a Corporate point of view. Why would you take up production capacity from the LT series (think about making money, not what we think is badass)? The LS7 has been skirting the edge of hydrocarbon emissions since it came out, and GM admitted as much when it was released. Motor Trend was fishing for hits.

I love the LS1tech double speak. Grand Nationals are cool, but the TTV6 in the ATS-V is junk. There is a CTS-V with V8 power available.

he ATS-V TTV6 is the new generation V6, and shares very little with the V6 found in any Equinox at this point. It has titanium rods for goodness sake. Does anybody read the articles anymore.
GM has yet to solve the timing chain stretch issue on any of the 3.6s, no matter what generation they are. Titanium rods don't fix that.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless I am entirely off base only the Cadillacs of the last 2 years are so are running the new V6 platform. Are there known issues with those, perhaps they figured it out. Subscribing issues from one thing to another without data is not statistically useful. No reason to get ahead of ourselves.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

This rumor can be put to rest now. Cadillac is now quoted saying there will not be a V8 option for the ATS-V.

Link to story.
"“The obvious question is, 'why not' have V8 power in both? The answer is that there’s no need for the two V product lines to be twins. Brothers, yes. Twins, no. This new era of V-Series gives us the chance to dial-in two types of performance character – both track capable, both premium. "

Yup. This is almost exactly what I said a few months ago in response to not having a V8 in the ATS, but I was still quite hopeful here, for a very limited run... maybe 37 of 'em.

I have to agree with the bold part. We were pretty much all in line for a new RWD GN w/ this engine or the smaller European version and still, many here are all pissy about a V6 making another 100hp.

Unless I am entirely off base only the Cadillacs of the last 2 years are so are running the new V6 platform. Are there known issues with those, perhaps they figured it out. Subscribing issues from one thing to another without data is not statistically useful. No reason to get ahead of ourselves.
A good GM parts guy could quickly tell us if these are the same timing sets or what minor or major differences there are.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:20 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Originally Posted by It'llrun
I don't actually disagree w/ you here, but I'll point out, 2 competitors (w/ more power) - the Lexus RC F @ 467hp and the AMG C63 @ 469hp, which both use V-8 engines. Even so, that power is CLOSE, but obviously the V8's still have more potential.

I can't only think of a few competitors and I kinda like 'em all, except I really don't care for the Lexus(not that I'm buying any).

One thing is a bit baffling: Why would they have so many left-overs? Seems they're either not selling well in the aftermarket, or... they purposely made "too many" just for ... use.
The whole "has more potential" thing doesn't carry much weight for me. Yeah, of course that's true...if we're talking about ***** to the wall making 1,000hp beasts out of brand new luxury cars. But for the average buyer they're either leaving it stock or doing light mods. And in that instance of light mods, the DI turbo turbo engine has more potential.

The LS7 really didn't make much sense to me, and now we know why. It was just heresay. It was too close in power to the V6, barely meets emissions, and honestly isn't what the average buyer in that market is looking for. They like technology and regardless of how OHV weighs less, takes up less space, and etc. they see an engine like the V6TT and they see shiny, new technology.

As far as the timing chain stretch goes, I don't see how it took GM that long to remedy the issue. They had problems from the first CTS up to the later of the first gen Lamda vehicles (that's the latest I had heard of the issues). They've had a TSB for a bit with a revised chain design, sometimes more easily installed and comped than other times. If it's actual fix and if the issues have been resolved on later engines are not in my knowledge and require more research than I care to do.

One thing I do know is that I would gladly take the keys to an ATS-V despite the V6 under hood. Hell, I might even prefer it to the CTS-V at this point.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

I think the AMG C63 power is actually lower now anyway. I just remembered those 2 in an article and went with it, but now I've looked & M-B claims 451hp. It also shows "only" 443 tq, but that may not matter since this thing is a V8 and may carry a higher curve. It also weighs a bit over 3,800 ... seems this car, not the BMW, was GM's real target!

Even w/ light mods, the others will flat out cruise too and we already know a tuned M3 will pump out 500 and it's a few hundred lighter than the V. It has the obvious advantage here. It has even more tech than the ATS based on the reading I've done, but I would prefer the M3/4 personally and have felt that way all along, so I'm biased here.

The CTS-V remains my favorite in this segment(luxury performance), though it's bigger & heavier and not a direct competitor w/ the ATS, etc. I also totally enjoy the M5 and it's amenities over the CTS, but ultimately, I think that Cadillac is more of a car I'd like. After a short stint w/ an M5, I'm not that kind of buyer, which is why I'll not be in that market again.

Quick Reply: Cadillac ATS-V+