• The throttle body measures 87mm
• Cylinder heads feature active exhaust valves and cams with 14mm of lift
• Crankshaft is rifle drilled
• Block is honed with torque plates
• 12:1 compression and burns 93-octane fuel
• The rev limiter cuts fuel at 8,250 rpm
• The crankshaft is only 15 percent of the rotational inertia of the engine
• The oil pan and windage tray are all one piece
• Cylinder heads machined for reduced weight, 6-percent lighter than Coyote heads
• Intake flows better than a Boss 302 intake
• The 87mm throttle body is the largest single-bore unit ever used by Ford

Last edited by big reg; 06-04-2015 at 03:30 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice. Need to find a nice used one in a few years.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Thumbs up

bad *** for sure.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:40 PM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 06-02-2015, 05:07 PM
TECH Addict

The only drawback I'm considering for the car is that crazy high compression. Aside from the little concern, that dog is gonna HUNT! I can see why it ran well on the ring.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by It'llrun
The only drawback I'm considering for the car is that crazy high compression. Aside from the little concern, that dog is gonna HUNT! I can see why it ran well on the ring.
Yeah, numbers quoted were on 93 octane so guys in Cali and other places with only 91 will be putting less to the ground. Sorry guys.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

It ran well on the ring? Published real numbers with a video or documents yet? All has been hear say so far from Horse Power Kings which have posted so many BS stories I doubt any are true.

I think the horse power is lower than most of Ford guys thought.

The pictures of the parts look like some pretty low end quality parts. The crank machining and the welds on the headers are not the best I have seen.

The Z28 will be a lot closer to the GT350 than most think, even with the weight penalty.

Nice to see Ford stepping it up the handling game though, it will put the pressure on GM to make the next Z28 something special. Hoping GM makes another 500+ hp NA motor from the LT1.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I really wanna like this engine but those power number disappoint me. I knew it wouldnt be 600 but thats a little weak imo. Sure the flat plane crank is cool but I wonder how it will be when you take that heavy mass flywheel off. Flat planes have a vibration problem which ford claims to have fixed however if that flywheel is part of the solution then removing it could be bad.

The ls7 is 9 years old and makes within 20hp of this thing, but makes 50-60 more ft lbs of torque. Thats a little sad, so what its 5.2 liters; its almost 10 years newer and has 4 cams. The ls7 is gonna stomp this thing in the avg tq department which is a pretty damn important aspect of road racing.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

Old 06-02-2015, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Early rumor is the next Z28 will be a wide body with an LT4.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Z Fury
Supercharger and Z/28 is not true to heritage. That would be a big mistake IMO.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:28 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by big reg
I'd rather them keep the current formula for the models too. Something like an LT1 with a hotter cam, higher flowing intake, and special high rpm heads for the Z/28 and save the LT4 for the ZL1. That hotter LT1 could easily match the horsepower numbers of the the Voodoo engine while matching the torque of the outgoing LS7.
Pulling the same performance tricks on the 6th gen as they did on the 5th gen Z/28 combined with the lighter chassis would probably compete just fine against the GT350R. Forego the carbon ceramic brakes (I will cry a little) and there's you're price drop to keep it competitive.

Getting back to the Ford; this thing looks like it will be pretty wicked. Though I thought 550hp was pretty much a given, I'm still pretty impressed by their decision to go flat plane crank and can't wait to hear it being wound up past 8,000rpm.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:49 PM
TECH Resident

As said above, considering how new this engine is, and how high the compression is, I'm not all that impressed with the power output. However I can't wait to hear it as the flat plane crank and 8200rpm is going to sound like pure sex. I would love for GM to come out with an 8000+rpm N/A engine in the next Z28. Unfortunately GM probably won't deliver. I'm sure the ZL1 will get the LT4 but I'm going to be beyond disappointed if they also throw the LT4 in the Z28 or use some other supercharged variant. Hoping for a high revving monster in the 570bhp+ range but for now LS7 FTW.

The real seller here with the GT350 is the price. It is going to be significantly cheaper than the current Z28. As it stands I feel the current Z28 is way overpriced... Hopefully GM is smart and allows the Z28 to compete with the GT350 in terms of affordability as well as performance.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RAMPANT
It ran well on the ring? Published real numbers with a video or documents yet? All has been hear say so far from Horse Power Kings which have posted so many BS stories I doubt any are true.

I think the horse power is lower than most of Ford guys thought.

The pictures of the parts look like some pretty low end quality parts. The crank machining and the welds on the headers are not the best I have seen.

The Z28 will be a lot closer to the GT350 than most think, even with the weight penalty.

Nice to see Ford stepping it up the handling game though, it will put the pressure on GM to make the next Z28 something special. Hoping GM makes another 500+ hp NA motor from the LT1.
Funny, your take on "cheap parts" is totally acceptable to you and all you have are a few photos from the internet... but when a website "leaks" a track ET... it's untrustworthy.

Clearly, you're a hater. It's all good, but why not simply say so and leave it at that?

Oh, and for the "stepping it up the handling game" comment... GT500 w/ live axle handling and being totally overpowered, did well enough. Look up the stats. It's still better than most, including the 2015 Mustang GT. To that end, Ford isn't really stepping up so much, but showing up... w/ great tires and correct sizing.

Originally Posted by redbird555
I really wanna like this engine but those power number disappoint me. I knew it wouldnt be 600 but thats a little weak imo. Sure the flat plane crank is cool but I wonder how it will be when you take that heavy mass flywheel off. Flat planes have a vibration problem which ford claims to have fixed however if that flywheel is part of the solution then removing it could be bad.

The ls7 is 9 years old and makes within 20hp of this thing, but makes 50-60 more ft lbs of torque. Thats a little sad, so what its 5.2 liters; its almost 10 years newer and has 4 cams. The ls7 is gonna stomp this thing in the avg tq department which is a pretty damn important aspect of road racing.
C'mon... you're saying that the 526hp 429tq flat plane V8 is weak because the 9yr old LS7 makes almost as much power and more torque?

The OHV makes more torque, but hello... 427 cubic inches is likely to make more torque than 317.

Even so, the 5.2L revs to 8,250 and I wouldn't recommend that with an LS7. Point is, everything has its detractors. When the case is this much power from this much engine, it's impressive based on just how rare it is.

Ford may have "fixed" the weight issue a bit, but lightening the crank and it is said they really did that.

Originally Posted by Z Fury
All I can say is... It would be awesome though.

The original ZL1 had no S/C ... nor did the original ZO6 or any ZO6, till the current LT4 version. Moving forward isn't so bad and I don't see many complaining about those two S/C'd cars.

Originally Posted by justin455
I'd rather them keep the current formula for the models too. Something like an LT1 with a hotter cam, higher flowing intake, and special high rpm heads for the Z/28 and save the LT4 for the ZL1. That hotter LT1 could easily match the horsepower numbers of the the Voodoo engine while matching the torque of the outgoing LS7.
Pulling the same performance tricks on the 6th gen as they did on the 5th gen Z/28 combined with the lighter chassis would probably compete just fine against the GT350R. Forego the carbon ceramic brakes (I will cry a little) and there's you're price drop to keep it competitive.

Getting back to the Ford; this thing looks like it will be pretty wicked. Though I thought 550hp was pretty much a given, I'm still pretty impressed by their decision to go flat plane crank and can't wait to hear it being wound up past 8,000rpm.
I'm pretty much right with you on this. I'm not convinced GM will leave the LT4 for a ZL1 though. It may just be exactly that, but they may drop the ZL1 and just go with the Z/28, as they did the ZR1, going only w/ ZO6. It's still good.

Originally Posted by badformulaLS1
As said above, considering how new this engine is, and how high the compression is, I'm not all that impressed with the power output. However I can't wait to hear it as the flat plane crank and 8200rpm is going to sound like pure sex. I would love for GM to come out with an 8000+rpm N/A engine in the next Z28. Unfortunately GM probably won't deliver. I'm sure the ZL1 will get the LT4 but I'm going to be beyond disappointed if they also throw the LT4 in the Z28 or use some other supercharged variant. Hoping for a high revving monster in the 570bhp+ range but for now LS7 FTW.

The real seller here with the GT350 is the price. It is going to be significantly cheaper than the current Z28. As it stands I feel the current Z28 is way overpriced... Hopefully GM is smart and allows the Z28 to compete with the GT350 in terms of affordability as well as performance.
There's a real selling point, indeed... $20,000 less ($10,000 less for R) than Z/28. Losing the pricey brakes could help alleviate that issue. On the other hand, will that slow the track times on Z/28? I say, in terms of a 2016/17... Nope. The 200 lb or so difference can be that much a difference maker.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:20 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^Agreed. The 6th gen Z/28 can do without the carbon ceramic brakes with the switch to the lighter chassis. It would be awesome if they stayed, but that could easily drop the price right in line with the GT350R, going by the last Z/28 pricing. And they would be sacrificing almost no performance for 99% of the customer base going to a more traditional setup.

As far as the 5th gen Z/28 being overpriced...I still don't understand that statement. I think it was priced very accurately. The GT350 are 350R are just huge performance bargains from the information we have.
When all said and done I think we'll end up with a 1LE that has a bit more to it than last gen to compete with the 350 and a Z/28 that has a little less to be more accessible and more in line with the 350R. I just hope we get a few great track focused cars and more GT style ZL1 again instead of GM trying to make the Z/28 be too many things with the LT4.

Last edited by justin455; 06-02-2015 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:21 PM
10 Second Club

No hater here. I like the formula, light weight, NA and handling.

Just saying the source is crap. Same goes for their claim the Vette went 6:59.

If Ford did it, they would post the video or some form of proof. None has been shown.

Being quiet and not having to prove anything has been brilliant propaganda on Ford's part.

http://horsepowerkings.com/hail-to-t...e-nurburgring/

The source is proven to be crap.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RAMPANT
No hater here. I like the formula, light weight, NA and handling.

Just saying the source is crap. Same goes for their claim the Vette went 6:59.

If Ford did it, they would post the video of some form of proof. None has been shown.

http://horsepowerkings.com/hail-to-t...e-nurburgring/

The source is proven to be crap.
How about this source... https://nurburgringlaptimes.com/lap-times-top-100/ Is it crap too, or what? I mean, it's apparent you're only on board with the "impossible unless Ford says so and they're probably only lying if they do!" and that's just not always going to be the case.

Look at all the advantages the GT350R has over the Z/28. There's no reason, aside from giving up 51 ft-lb torque, it wouldn't run better. It's lighter, has at least equal brakes(insofar as how well they're working) and tires and apparently even more rubber on the road. It revs higher, which allows for more time in the upper area of the power band, though the Z/28 clearly has no problems there. It's got arguably better suspension... even GM says MR is best. It's everything it needs to be for the stated performance.

Your comment about low quality and handing is what makes you look like a hater... come on already. You've seen like 5 photographs from the internet and not from all the needed angles to determine quality, if you could do that via pictures, but you say it looks low quality. That's just hateful and based on... nothing but your opinion. I heard the drilled the crank for less weight... see that in the pictures? I didn't, but there were pics of the crank/s.

Handling isn't just stepping up either. The last Mustang handled better than the current has to date. The GT350 simply "shows up" w/ the correct wheels/tires and tuning, along with lightened wheels and even suspension parts.

I was more skeptical than YOU when the ET was 1st mentioned, but at some point, you start to see things posted in more clear terms and on more and more forums... is everyone stupid or gullible or being had? I think it was NW99SS who showed me the link here, but I cannot remember.

Ford didn't show any video of the GT500 running less than 2 seconds slower than the Z/28, but that video surfaced... http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...burgring-video
Old 06-03-2015, 06:52 AM
TECH Resident

The time was already stated to be false by Ford. Jamal Hameedi debunked it the day Horsepower Kings claimed it. Even the guys on The Ford based sites realize it's not true from the interviews given by him and others.

Ford has stated they do not release lap times as there is no official timing method, and the track is never closed as multiple manufacturers run at the same time in cars of varying performance. There is also no method of verifying cars being run are in OEM state. He equated it to taking qualifying times and not inspecting the car afterwards to make sure it meets the rules and regs. Manufacturers also don't video every run as they never know when they will get a full clean run. The Z/28 was said to run as fast as 7:31 by Al O but no video on that run. See how this stuff works. It has become a marketing tool.

I don't know or care if it's faster than a Gen 5 Z/28. With 2 yrs of benchmarking it better be though. Ford admitted to buying a Z/28 as well as a C7, 911 Carrera S and Ferrari California for benchmarking. The first 3 for performance and the Ferrari for NVH reasons (front engine FPC).

I've been holding off picking up a used Z/28 because of this car. Used ones with 4-5k miles can be had for mid to high 50's. Once I see the performance measurables for the GT350 I'll make a decision although I will admit I am leaning heavily towards it right now. Unless GM blows us away with a properly priced Z/28 based on the 6th gen as it was confirmed on Monday it was coming.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:06 AM
10 Second Club

Did you read this? Look at the bottom paragraph.

https://nurburgringlaptimes.com/2015...p-time-record/

GM on the other hand came clean after the Horsepower Kings BS claim and set it straight. Guess what website released those times.

https://nurburgringlaptimes.com/2015...han-7-minutes/

It is not impossible, but Ford has milked this BS websites claim by saying nothing. Either prove it or clarify with the truth.

It is on the internet so it must be true. Give your head a shake.

As for my comment on the quality of the looks of the machining and welds came from my review of this thread.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24373

Welds are not terrible, but not great looking.

I do have a bit of a manufacturing back ground with more than 25 years involvement in designing and building automation. I have seen a few machined and welded parts. I also had welding inspectors qualifications over 20 years ago.

I could not find any pics of the LS1 crank, so here is my own from the LS1 in the basement. I must admit, the finish is not as good as I recalled, but for a base motor crank, it is as clean or a little cleaner than the flat plane crank shown. Figured 15 years later, machining might look a little cleaner on a top shelf motor.

This is the Callies Magnum crank in my current motor, a much better looking part than the Ford flat plane shown. I tried to find a stock LS7 part for reference, but all seem to find is after market ones. These are for comparison purposes, and why I felt that way looking at the cranks finish.

LS7 factory manifold. With my trained eye, look better.

How about this source... https://nurburgringlaptimes.com/lap-times-top-100/ Is it crap too, or what? I mean, it's apparent you're only on board with the "impossible unless Ford says so and they're probably only lying if they do!" and that's just not always going to be the case.

Look at all the advantages the GT350R has over the Z/28. There's no reason, aside from giving up 51 ft-lb torque, it wouldn't run better. It's lighter, has at least equal brakes(insofar as how well they're working) and tires and apparently even more rubber on the road. It revs higher, which allows for more time in the upper area of the power band, though the Z/28 clearly has no problems there. It's got arguably better suspension... even GM says MR is best. It's everything it needs to be for the stated performance.

Your comment about low quality and handing is what makes you look like a hater... come on already. You've seen like 5 photographs from the internet and not from all the needed angles to determine quality, if you could do that via pictures, but you say it looks low quality. That's just hateful and based on... nothing but your opinion. I heard the drilled the crank for less weight... see that in the pictures? I didn't, but there were pics of the crank/s.

Handling isn't just stepping up either. The last Mustang handled better than the current has to date. The GT350 simply "shows up" w/ the correct wheels/tires and tuning, along with lightened wheels and even suspension parts.

I was more skeptical than YOU when the ET was 1st mentioned, but at some point, you start to see things posted in more clear terms and on more and more forums... is everyone stupid or gullible or being had? I think it was NW99SS who showed me the link here, but I cannot remember.

Ford didn't show any video of the GT500 running less than 2 seconds slower than the Z/28, but that video surfaced... http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...burgring-video

Last edited by RAMPANT; 06-03-2015 at 07:26 AM.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I completely agree, but it isn't exactly heritage to the Z06 badge either...

The original ZL1 had no S/C ... nor did the original ZO6 or any ZO6, till the current LT4 version. Moving forward isn't so bad and I don't see many complaining about those two S/C'd cars.
Actually, people are complaining a lot about the new Z06. I spent my morning reading about the overheating issues. Even the LT1 in the Vette is running into overheat issues when tracked and it isn't even summer yet. Maybe the larger Camaro will be better suited to cool off this new LT4 setup, but the Vette isn't fairing so well. I've read very few issues with the LSA though. Maybe the larger car helps...?

Quick Reply: GT350 Numbers Released