Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

2015 Chevrolet Colorado Z71

Old 07-02-2015, 11:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Chevrolet Colorado Z71

I had the new Colorado in the garage a month ago, super nice truck that really has grown up. What do you think? Good winter car? Let me know if you'd drive a small truck or not. Thanks for reading/watching!

http://www.hoagiegarage.com/blog/201...vroletcolorado

JT
Hoagies Garage
Old 07-02-2015, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I love the look of the trucks, but despise the 3.6 engine. I was 100% set on buying a new Canyon All-Terrain with the diesel, but "life happened," so my priorities changed. They do look like great vehicles though. It seems like GM is determined to screw up the powertrain options in anything that isn't the Vette, Camaro, or a full-sized SUV/Truck.

And yes, I was one who was clamoring for the 4.3 over the 3.6.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Z Fury
I love the look of the trucks, but despise the 3.6 engine. I was 100% set on buying a new Canyon All-Terrain with the diesel, but "life happened," so my priorities changed. They do look like great vehicles though. It seems like GM is determined to screw up the powertrain options in anything that isn't the Vette, Camaro, or a full-sized SUV/Truck.

I'm going to be by 2018 it'll be changed to the 4.3... Just my guess. Also, wait for the ZR2
Old 07-02-2015, 08:28 PM
Teching In

I agree. My neighbor has one and I had to do a double-take the first few times I drove by. Looks more aggressive and "beefier" than I would have expected.

I'd drive one.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 79CMC
I agree. My neighbor has one and I had to do a double-take the first few times I drove by. Looks more aggressive and "beefier" than I would have expected.

I'd drive one.

Yea it's not too bad, Z71 is pricey, but overall a nice product they're putting out now.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Z Fury

Is the new 4.3 even being made yet or is it still in design phase?
Old 07-16-2015, 07:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Is the new 4.3 even being made yet or is it still in design phase?
The new 4.3 has been used for about 2 years now in the Silverado/Sierra trucks, and probably some new vans too (not sure on that one). It came out with all of the other Gen V motors (new 5.3, new 6.2 LT1).
Old 07-16-2015, 03:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Makes no sense it isn't in the Colorado then.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:47 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The CO has always played third string on options compared to the C/K.
Makes no sense comes as no surprise.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Makes no sense it isn't in the Colorado then.
The main reason the 4.3 isn't in the new Colorado/Canyon is likely due to R&D costs. The overseas version of this truck already had the 3.6 in it, so getting that drivetrain approved for the US was more of a slam-dunk that getting the 4.3 certified for the market.

The optimist in me wants to think GM will at least look at the 4.3, if not the 5.3, for a "coming soon" Canyon Denali.
The pessimist in me knows GM doesn't give a ****, and is looking to maximize profit over anything else. If people are buying the 3.6 version, which cost them a lot less to get ready, then they have little incentive to change anything.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:57 AM
TECH Addict

I was planning to get one w/ the 3.6L and be happy, but when I test drove, it made no sense for me to get the Colorado over a Silverado, considering price. Sure, it gets better fuel economy(part of why I think they're using the engines they are rather than the ones we want) and that really is adequate power, but the price was right there with Silverado, which HAS the engine I prefer and the size is very similar, but Colorado lacks tow capacity in a big way compared to Silverado(back to engines, +weight I'm sure).

Overall, I couldn't justify spending $41,000 for a Colorado when I could get an All Star Edition Silverado for $43,500 and simply get more truck. I also wanted a '15 F150 and passed on that, simply due to cost as I wanted it equipped. Had I waited till this month, I could've gotten it as I want for a price I was willing to pay. I may also be able to get the Colorado for a better price today, but I don't know(or care). In the end, I just wish the CC Silverado was built in America. If it were, I'd have another one in my driveway right now.

There's my take. I tested and liked the Colorado, but it was too expensive in my view, because I compared to (and bought) full size.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Silverado isn't made in the USA? I'm pretty sure mine was...
Old 07-19-2015, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

Silverado isn't made in the USA? I'm pretty sure mine was...
CC = Crew Cab. None of those have been made in America for a very long time. They're 100% built in Mexico these days, hence the 1st VIN digit being 3.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I test drove a Colorado back when my wife got her new Equinox. I wanted to have knowledge of their performance and not just speculate. The 3.6, in my opinion, just doesn't work in this truck. They can talk about the HP/TQ numbers all they want, but this engine needs to rev to get to those numbers. The test drive proved it. Much like the Equinox, the Colorado just felt gutless until about 10 MPH - almost like a turbo spooling up. I couldn't imagine trying to get a 6,000 pound load started off of a red light with this engine.

It'llrun covered the pricing vs. the Silverado well enough that I don't even need to weigh in. He is spot on.

Originally Posted by It'llrun
CC = Crew Cab. None of those have been made in America for a very long time. They're 100% built in Mexico these days, hence the 1st VIN digit being 3.
Correct. From what I've read, all crew cab models are made in Mexico, and the extended cab and regular cab configurations are made in America.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 Chevrolet Colorado Z71