Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

GT350 one second faster than Z28 and equal to GT3

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 05:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Surely you know that ring times aren't allowed to be published by manufacturers anymore, so it doesn't matter what happened there anymore.

In all honesty, it simply never did matter what happened there, considering that about 99% of Camaro and Mustang owners will never get to Germany, even w/o their cars. At least most have a CHANCE to get to Grattan... or any number of hundreds of other American tracks. If an American track time doesn't matter to you, why would a time from a German track you'll likely never see for yourself? I don't mean you specifically, but the masses specifically.
You probably won't understand/comprehend this because you have the brain power of a small infant(and maturity level to go along with it), but there is a good reason the 'ring times are used world wide for comparison.
The ring tests a cars capabilities to the utmost extreme, if a car can run well and hold together at the ring, it can do it anywhere else because no other track is as extreme. Every type of turn (multiple times), numerous large altitude changes, an extremely bumpy and tight track with little room for error. When tuned at the ring, cars will handle, brake and feel great anywhere else including and especially the street, where most cars are driven anyway.
In comparison its easy to setup a car to run well at many American tracks, and often a car will be setup too stiff for the street or any other track that doesn't have a smooth surface.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by -Ross-
What are the exact differences between the GT350 and the R? Wheels, wing, no radio, no AC? What else?
The exacts are kinda odd, because you can basically add on to 1 or the other...
The R gets standard MRS and it's an option on the non R.
The non R gets A/C, stereo and rear seats... apparently those can be added into the R. So I guess it just depends on how it's ordered.

Originally Posted by transamtom
Oh I know and agree with most of what you say.

I am sure GM could go find a track that suits the Z/28 better(they probably won't)

The new Gen 6 will take care of the new kids on the block at some point.
I think the real question is, what point? It won't be 2016 MY from the looks and it's gonna be a SERIOUS car when it gets there. My concern isn't winning, but cost. Considering how much a Camaro can cost today(well over $60,000 for a 2SS), I'm not too interested in "winning" in stock form. The correct base means much more to me.

As for finding a better track for the Z, it's been raced all over by now. The GT350 is just too much right now. Look at the IMSA Continental series... the GT350R-C is cleaning house, having been entered into 3 races, it's won 2 of them, took 4th in the 1st race and took 1st and 2nd in the 3rd, even though a 50 lb weight disadvantage was administered after the 1st win. This is a good car. That's all there is to it.

Originally Posted by twinturbo496
Unfortunately the Ring has a new owner, and it is not 100% certain that it will be available as the benchmark for fast street cars in the future...
I don't think it's that bad a thing. After all, it didn't matter in America till around 2008... why should it?

We have plenty of good tracks here and the big deal is, people here actually use these tracks and so very few Americans use or ever even get to see the ring.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
You probably won't understand/comprehend this because you have the brain power of a small infant(and maturity level to go along with it), but there is a good reason the 'ring times are used world wide for comparison.
The ring tests a cars capabilities to the utmost extreme, if a car can run well and hold together at the ring, it can do it anywhere else because no other track is as extreme. Every type of turn (multiple times), numerous large altitude changes, an extremely bumpy and tight track with little room for error. When tuned at the ring, cars will handle, brake and feel great anywhere else including and especially the street, where most cars are driven anyway.
In comparison its easy to setup a car to run well at many American tracks, and often a car will be setup too stiff for the street or any other track that doesn't have a smooth surface.

Old 08-01-2015, 06:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Don't be angry little man.
Like the way that CTS-V of yours drives/rides/handles? Like no other cadillac or American sedan before it, eh? It didn't get that way from tuning on American race tracks...
Old 08-01-2015, 08:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Don't be angry little man.
Like the way that CTS-V of yours drives/rides/handles? Like no other cadillac or American sedan before it, eh? It didn't get that way from tuning on American race tracks...

Old 08-01-2015, 08:24 AM
TECH Resident

I think the real question is, what point? It won't be 2016 MY from the looks and it's gonna be a SERIOUS car when it gets there. My concern isn't winning, but cost. Considering how much a Camaro can cost today(well over $60,000 for a 2SS), I'm not too interested in "winning" in stock form. The correct base means much more to me.
Calm down.... lol.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Sup
Old 08-01-2015, 10:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Sup

Old 08-01-2015, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

A little immature there Ross don't you think

I'm laughing a little inside about the weight. Mustang guys were all "oh 5th gen Camaro sooo heavy lulz" and now look at the Mustang pushing 3800 pounds. But just goes to show weight, while a factor, isn't everything either.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO

I'm laughing a little inside about the weight. Mustang guys were all "oh 5th gen Camaro sooo heavy lulz" and now look at the Mustang pushing 3800 pounds. But just goes to show weight, while a factor, isn't everything either.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

It's kinda funny... no, quite funny!

People like him, who've in all liklihood never even been to Germany, come up with silly arguments because they believe this or that. Truth is, a properly tuned car will run well, period. The idea that if it's tuned for the ring, it will run its best everywhere is based on ignorance obtained by listening to too many fools in real life. Only a total moron would purposely tune for the ring, then use the car daily in south Florida or Colorado with no changes, expecting perfection. Too many simply don't realize that, or the fact, most people simply don't even consider this stuff because they just don't care.
Originally Posted by badformulaLS1
Calm down.... lol.
Nothing to calm down about... facts is facts, as they say. Today, you can go to chevrolet.com and "build" a 2015 Camaro SS for $65,000.00 and you won't even have a supercharger on the engine or special suspension underneath!

http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro-spor...iT1BUSU9OUyJ9@

I hate using their links... they take sooooo much space!
He's givin' what he's gettin' though and... its funny.

That's what I've said... except, the Mustang still weighs plenty less than the 5th gen. Still, it's heavy now and like the Camaro, it still performs well.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

It's kinda funny... no, quite funny!

People like him, who've in all liklihood never even been to Germany, come up with silly arguments because they believe this or that. Truth is, a properly tuned car will run well, period. The idea that if it's tuned for the ring, it will run its best everywhere is based on ignorance obtained by listening to too many fools in real life. Only a total moron would purposely tune for the ring, then use the car daily in south Florida or Colorado with no changes, expecting perfection. Too many simply don't realize that, or the fact, most people simply don't even consider this stuff because they just don't care.
Nothing to calm down about... facts is facts, as they say. Today, you can go to chevrolet.com and "build" a 2015 Camaro SS for $65,000.00 and you won't even have a supercharger on the engine or special suspension underneath!

http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro-spor...iT1BUSU9OUyJ9@

I hate using their links... they take sooooo much space!
He's givin' what he's gettin' though and... its funny.

That's what I've said... except, the Mustang still weighs plenty less than the 5th gen. Still, it's heavy now and like the Camaro, it still performs well.
You do realize you have 10k i 2 options alone on there right?

Hell with ecopoop mustangs nearing 40k a 2ss camaro sounds like a deal @ 38k
Old 08-02-2015, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

"Plenty" less? I don't think so. Obviously it depends on what options each has, but an SS is 3800-3900 pounds? So, within 100-ish pounds of each other now.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

"Plenty" less? I don't think so. Obviously it depends on what options each has, but an SS is 3800-3900 pounds? So, within 100-ish pounds of each other now.
It's not that close. As I've said before, I recently saw a GT on the scales... 3,593 ... not very close to 3,900, all things considered. I didn't ask which model, but will gladly presume it was a base GT. Still, the heavy ones are around 3,810(heaviest I've seen), convertibles excluded. Ford says 3,729 for that auto GT ... still about 200 lb less than the current Camaro.

While I've heard of several weights for the SS, I'm certain none is 3,700 or less, so the Mustang still has a large advantage. Chevy says the lightest SS is 3,908 ... that's heavier than a loaded Mustang GT by about 100 lb.

The new Camaro SS is going to even that score, but I don't think for 1 second it will be lighter than Mustang. I'd laugh if it is, but I don't see it happening at this point.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

My buddy's 12 ss weighex 3830 bonestock with 3/4 tank of gas.....for a reference.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone can make a claim, its if you can prove you claim that matters. I hear a whole lot of rumors surrounding this car and what it "can" do, but nothing to prove what it "is" doing.

I seriously hope you are not talking about the rumor that Horsepower Kings started up, they're the biggest retards in the business...

Same people who said the C7 Z06 ran a 6:57, same people that said that Ford would be discontinuing V8 product completely by 2018...

Correct me if I am wrong, but from what I have seen is that Ford has never confirmed or released any laptimes around Nordschleife, but rather laps are run by people like Motor Trend and Car & Driver for their articles and publishing.

It's going to be great to see these cars run, but the proof is in the pudding, and from what I can find, there is no pudding on Fords table right now.

Originally Posted by twinturbo496
Unfortunately the Ring has a new owner, and it is not 100% certain that it will be available as the benchmark for fast street cars in the future...
The plot of land was purchased more than a year ago, several cars have run there for testing and have since released laptimes...
Old 08-03-2015, 07:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Only a total moron would think that's what was said, or even implied, then again look who I'm working with here. ..
Companies dont spend all that time and money devolping thier cars at the ring, and few if any other race tracks, just for fun...
Old 08-03-2015, 07:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
My buddy's 12 ss weighex 3830 bonestock with 3/4 tank of gas.....for a reference.
My loaded out(no moon roof) 2SS/RS with a full tank weighs 3850lbs.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Sup
Ross, thanks for the good laugh!! I'm tired a bit but that was funny!!
Old 08-03-2015, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RikkiTorment
Anyone can make a claim, its if you can prove you claim that matters. I hear a whole lot of rumors surrounding this car and what it "can" do, but nothing to prove what it "is" doing.

Correct me if I am wrong, but from what I have seen is that Ford has never confirmed or released any laptimes around Nordschleife, but rather laps are run by people like Motor Trend and Car & Driver for their articles and publishing.

It's going to be great to see these cars run, but the proof is in the pudding, and from what I can find, there is no pudding on Fords table right now.
The GT350R-C is already racing in a TUDOR series... it's been entered into 3 races... taking 4th in the 1st, then taking 1st in the 2nd and then 1st and 2nd in the 3rd. That's proof for me. IMSA Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge.

It's not the ring... but unlike the ring, it actually counts.

Since Ford claimed that the GT350 beat the Z/28 and tied the 911 GT3 (RS), I'd say it's believable. That was probably the story where testing was done on Grattan Raceway.

The plot of land was purchased more than a year ago, several cars have run there for testing and have since released laptimes...
How many manufacturers have done that since it was banned in June?

Quick Reply: GT350 one second faster than Z28 and equal to GT3