Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

6th gens sales starting off slow

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 07:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Fusion is a good looking sedan. Neither it or Mustang is ugly at all IMO. Styling similarity within a given brand is nothing new at all.

'16 Camaro front fascia looks more like a Transformer than a production car. Perhaps that was the point. It just doesn't sit well with me though. Usually my opinion on appearance is in the minority, but in this instance I share the more common opinion....that Mustang looks better.

That is why it is great that we have both of these icons to choose from. Opionions will vary and It is all comes down to personal preference. I prefer the aggressive/sharp-edge styling or "transformer look" of the Camaro to the sleek/smooth design of the Mustang front fascia, but I may actually like the rear end of the Stang more.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I completely agree.
Me too.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think either look all that great.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Fusion is a good looking sedan. Neither it or Mustang is ugly at all IMO. Styling similarity within a given brand is nothing new at all.

'16 Camaro front fascia looks more like a Transformer than a production car. Perhaps that was the point. It just doesn't sit well with me though. Usually my opinion on appearance is in the minority, but in this instance I share the more common opinion....that Mustang looks better.
Yeah I'd have to agree. Yet another one joining the reluctant crowd of admitting the appearance of the new Mustang far outclasses the new Camaro. I remember being very upset with GM last year the day of the unveiling. All of those years of anticipation for basically the exact same thing, aside from a much improved interior. Whoo.

I remember seeing the new Mustang last year and being impressed, hoping Chevy would follow suit. Really upset with GM's design decisions, I hate to go against my own team, but I'm kind of glad to see their "evolutionary not revolutionary" styling mantra backfiring on them.

Originally Posted by lovescamaros28
That is why it is great that we have both of these icons to choose from. Opionions will vary and It is all comes down to personal preference. I prefer the aggressive/sharp-edge styling or "transformer look" of the Camaro to the sleek/smooth design of the Mustang front fascia, but I may actually like the rear end of the Stang more.
You're actually the first person I have ever seen say they prefer the new Camaro. In person or on the internet in fact. I feel like we're not seeing the same pictures, I'm just not seeing these aggressive or sharp edge styling cues you say you see on the 6th gen Camaro.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Yet another one to reluctantly agree. The current Mustang is sleek and screams fast, while the Camaro looks cluttered up with a bunch of jimcrackery. That's just from pics, though - I've yet to see one on the road.
I was not a fan of the 6th gens until I saw one last week. A black one coming the other way, it looked fng mean.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

Having seen both in person - Camaro is better looking hands down. The front of the new S550 does absolutely nothing for me but put puke in my mouth. The rear on it looks great, and certainly better than the 6th gen, but from every other angle, especially the front, the 6th gen is better looking.

Oh and performance wise, 6th gen for obvious reasons.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
The front of the new S550 does absolutely nothing for me but put puke in my mouth. The rear on it looks great, and certainly better than the 6th gen,
Glad you would only see the rear of mine.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think another reason people are choosing the Mustang over the Camaro is refinement. The interior on the Mustang has more space, the dash design is way better IMO, and the quality of the materials is pretty top notch. Visibility is way better as well.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z06PSI
Glad you would only see the rear of mine.
Depends on the track we go to and which car I bring
Old 03-23-2016, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

Depends on the track we go to and which car I bring
Same here.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:22 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SnIpEz
Yeah I'd have to agree. Yet another one joining the reluctant crowd of admitting the appearance of the new Mustang far outclasses the new Camaro. I remember being very upset with GM last year the day of the unveiling. All of those years of anticipation for basically the exact same thing, aside from a much improved interior. Whoo.

I remember seeing the new Mustang last year and being impressed, hoping Chevy would follow suit. Really upset with GM's design decisions, I hate to go against my own team, but I'm kind of glad to see their "evolutionary not revolutionary" styling mantra backfiring on them.

You're actually the first person I have ever seen say they prefer the new Camaro. In person or on the internet in fact. I feel like we're not seeing the same pictures, I'm just not seeing these aggressive or sharp edge styling cues you say you see on the 6th gen Camaro.
One thing is for certain...the members of LS1TECH believe the Camaro looks better than the new Mustang. I created a poll in the lounge.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:33 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by lovescamaros28
One thing is for certain...the members of LS1TECH believe the Camaro looks better than the new Mustang. I created a poll in the lounge.
Depends on the thread perhaps, as this one seems to favor Mustang.

But regardless, you'd really have to take a poll on a brand-neutral site to get an unbiased average opinion.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

i think overall sales is a good indicator of how much people think which car looks better.

yes,pricing and availability ect are factors but sales ultimately can settle this dispute despite opinions.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I think it has something to do with a lot of guys not wanting to give up they're 5th gens yet. As for some 4th gen guys calling them boats I don't remember any 4th getting anywhere near 11's stock. The redesign and improved performance is impressive.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
i think overall sales is a good indicator of how much people think which car looks better.

yes,pricing and availability ect are factors but sales ultimately can settle this dispute despite opinions.
Maybe, to an extent. You did factor in the price and availability variables, but you also have to consider brand loyalty. Some people are so brand loyal that they may like the look of one car more but just can't see themselves ever owning one.

Take me for example. I would LOVE to own a Explorer Sport as a daily driver/family hauler. I love everything about that vehicle, but I just can't see myself ever owning a Ford. Yeah, I know, that is a stupid reason to overlook a good product, but that is a factor for some people.

Regarding this current discussion, I'm neutral. I love the look of both cars for different reasons, but as mentioned above, I'd only ever buy the Camaro because driving a Ford feels weird to me. (Sorry Ford fans - nothing personal.)

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
I think it has something to do with a lot of guys not wanting to give up they're 5th gens yet. As for some 4th gen guys calling them boats I don't remember any 4th getting anywhere near 11's stock. The redesign and improved performance is impressive.
The people calling them boats are just looking at the weight and ignoring everything else. Just like with the 5th Gen. GM Performance has engineered the hell out of these chassis, making the 4th Gen (which I still own) handle like a golf cart in comparison. Not to say the 4th Gen sucks, it just has been surpassed (by a lot) by the newer models. Anyone that can't admit that isn't worth the argument.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:43 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS

I don't know, looking at it this way would support the argument that people generally favor Mustang appearance, which I agree with, but even *I* have to concede that the MSRP difference is a big enough factor to take some would-be sales away from Camaro - at least at the V8 trim levels. I don't know what the pricing spread is between sub-V8 models, and those are probably what make up the majority of sales for either.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is a whole other aspect to it - # of Mustang fans/followers/owners vs Camaro.

For most of the Mustang's production life, it has had no competition from it's own manufacturer, no model to step up to (Ford GT, but that's not a step, that's an overseas flight by comparison).

On the contrary, the Corvette has been around longer than the Camaro, and always been the next step up for GM guys. Countless owners of Corvette's vow never to go back to pony cars after making the step up as well (lots do, but most move on and don't look back).

This has a very large impact on fan base size and support.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is a whole other aspect to it - # of Mustang fans/followers/owners vs Camaro.

For most of the Mustang's production life, it has had no competition from it's own manufacturer, no model to step up to (Ford GT, but that's not a step, that's an overseas flight by comparison).

On the contrary, the Corvette has been around longer than the Camaro, and always been the next step up for GM guys. Countless owners of Corvette's vow never to go back to pony cars after making the step up as well (lots do, but most move on and don't look back).

This has a very large impact on fan base size and support.
Plus GM has the Camaro creeping up in price. A V8 2SS with performance brakes, dual mode exhaust, and magnetic ride control was $48,000. A base Vette is $55,000. Then you have the used Vette market, which you can get an extremely low mile C7 or C6 Z06 that looks brand new for the same price as a new Camaro.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Yes price is getting ridiculous.

That being said I just saw a white 16 SS and damn it looks good in person. Also looks way less portly. Now seeing one in person I like it a lot more than the Mustang, but to by much.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:58 AM
TECH Regular

I've seen both in person and I can confidently say that I prefer the looks of the Camaro. The base V6 and GT Mustangs look too girly/Japanese-ish...it is difficult to describe. I feel like I am looking at a Miata, or 350z. The lines do not flow well to me (I think the GT350 looks pretty damn good though). The Camaro has a much more athletic appearance. I'm not completely sold on the rear of the car, but the 1LE package makes it appear much better with the spoiler as opposed to the wing on the SS and ZL1.

Quick Reply: 6th gens sales starting off slow