Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

6th gen sales still not competitive

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

College kids today make twice as much as you did back in 1999 since minimum wage was about $5 an hour, so it shouldn't be that hard to afford a car that costs twice as much as yours did.

I have to disagree with a lot that has been said here about the new Camaro. I can tell the 5th gen from the 6th gen since it looks much sleeker and reminds me of the shape of the new Mustang.

I do agree the price is kind of high, but then the Chevy SS is around the same price so it's no surprise that it's over $40K. Heck a new ATS with a turbo 4/AWD cost more than the new Camaro SS.

Even my Buick Regal with the same drivetrain as the ATS is about the same price as the new Camaro SS when fully optioned. Obviously a lot of you haven't priced other GM models, and in comparison to the new Camaro they are lacking in performance so the price isn't really that bad.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:59 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
Obviously a lot of you haven't priced other GM models, and in comparison to the new Camaro they are lacking in performance so the price isn't really that bad.
It's not really about how Camaro MSRP compares to other current GM models, as it's not competing against those. Mustang is its closest and most historical competitor, and the car that will most often be compared to Camaro within that buyer demographic. As such, Camaro's weaker sales figures are likely due, in part, to the noticeably cheaper MSRP of Mustang - at least at the V8 level.

Whether or not Camaro is "worth" the extra money is a question for the individual shopper, but Camaro seems to be fighting an uphill battle on that front.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:21 AM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.7stroker
Yes, I was working full time while taking 20 credit hours a semester and work paid my tuition. No life while doing all that, so I figured I might as well enjoy my commute time back and forth between work home and school. I often wonder if I should had invested that money instead, but then again, only young once. The sticker price on the car was $21,500....so how is a college kid going to afford $40k+ these days?
You can get a new Mustang GT right now for $30k. I see a TON of those driving around.
College kids today make twice as much as you did back in 1999 since minimum wage was about $5 an hour, so it shouldn't be that hard to afford a car that costs twice as much as yours did.
Minimum wage hasn't kept up with inflation for a LONG time. I think it's $7.25 now
Old 07-30-2016, 06:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

The mid cycle refresh(14-15) on the 5th Gen should never have happened.

The 6th Gen would look fresh and different if GM would have used a little foresight.

BTW the tranny tunnel/console width is huge and larger guys like me 6'2" 265lbs don't fit too well.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Financing 21,500 at 5 years at 4.25% is $398.39
Financing 40,000 at same terms is $741.18
Old 07-30-2016, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Minimum wage hasn't kept up with inflation for a LONG time. I think it's $7.25 now
In Texas it's $7.25 an hour but it's much higher in other states. In Chicago it's $10 an hour.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/labor-a...age-chart.aspx
Old 07-30-2016, 09:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.7stroker
Financing 21,500 at 5 years at 4.25% is $398.39
Financing 40,000 at same terms is $741.18
Both of which are way too much for my budget lol most I've paid per month for a vehicle is my truck which is $218. That second one is more than my mortgage payment that I'm already paying extra on

In Texas it's $7.25 an hour but it's much higher in other states. In Chicago it's $10 an hour.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/labor-a...age-chart.aspx
Go to a place with a $15 minimum wage... oh wait, those jobs are being replaced with kiosks.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Some states are slated for $15 an hour but it hasn't taken effect yet.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

You sound like a politician trying to make excuses as to why people SHOULD be able to afford a new 6th gen.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

I'm by no means trying to imply that purchasing a brand new sports car in college is being fiscally responsible. The point I'm trying to make is that the manufacturers have priced themselves out of being able to sell to that age group. Back then, it was certainly doable but now at almost double the cost, 95% of college kids aren't even sniffing a 6th gen. I don't condone paying new prices due to the depreciation factor, but at least back then it was possible if someone wanted to do it and was working full time. Smart.... no.... but possible.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

That's because America has taken on the ideology that no child should be left behind, and that even losers deserve trophies. It's a soft mindset and it's embarrassing that people think like this. These types teach their kids that even if they lose the little league baseball game, they are still winners and that message has now escalated to wal-mart and McDonalds workers thinking they have the right to make the same salary as a first year college graduate. There are college grads that don't even start off at $15 an hour but zippy the pinhead and bozo the clown think they should be paid the same? I understand the argument for places like California where the cost of living is higher, but the idea of minimum wage being $15 an hour in the midwest is a joke.

Back when I played sports as a kid, if you lost, you didn't get ****. An incentive was there to want to actually perform, practice, and do better. Now the mindset is just instant gratification.

Brilliant!

/sarcasm
Old 07-30-2016, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Very few people can live on less than $10 an hour, so that's why they are raising the minimum raise to $15 an hour. As was said earlier, wages haven't kept up with inflation so this increase is needed to allow low income people to make ends meet.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:42 PM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very few people can live on less than $10 an hour, so that's why they are raising the minimum raise to $15 an hour. As was said earlier, wages haven't kept up with inflation so this increase is needed to allow low income people to make ends meet.
I agree wholeheartedly, though many others do not.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

The minimum wage stuff is bullshit. It's meant to try and get the votes of people making less than $15 p/hr. All it will do is drive the small business owner to work his *** off even more because now he can't afford entry level help.

If they really really want everyone ti be equal......then you seize all money in the country and divide amounst everyone equally. Anything less than that is pandering to individual interest groups.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Minimum wage was not created to be a living wage. Making a minimum wage a living wage decreases business growth and motivation. If you don't have to, you wont.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:46 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Time to get this thread back on track, otherwise it will be locked. The Auto News section isn't here to debate wages or politics.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

So what you are saying is the government passed a minimum wage law knowing that it wouldn't be enough for a person to earn a decent living, and have to rely on government assistance to get by? That doesn't make any sense at all, why enact a law that doesn't allow the people to afford the basic needs to live?

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
If they really really want everyone ti be equal......then you seize all money in the country and divide amounst everyone equally. Anything less than that is pandering to individual interest groups.
I agree that everyone should make the same amount of money. There's too many people making too much money, and too many people that don't make enough money, which has pretty much eliminated the middle class.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:15 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Ok, so clearly the warning wasn't taken seriously.

Quick Reply: 6th gen sales still not competitive