Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

GM To Build 6.0L Powered Trailblazer SS

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 06:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM To Build 6.0L Powered Trailblazer SS

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...._code=04123205

No word on whether it will be an LS2 or not although that would be HOSS. Nonetheless kudos to GM for giving buyers yet another option. w00t.
Old 06-28-2004, 06:55 PM
TECH Veteran

God, that's bitterly disappointing. Read the following and you'll know why,

http://www.motortrend.com/future/con...zer/index.html

The potential of the engine is so much greater, not to mention it looks better to boot.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

I totaly need this. The little woman is riding my *** to get an SUV.

-Adam
Old 06-28-2004, 09:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Adam Bruce
I totaly need this. The little woman is riding my *** to get an SUV.
Don't we all? It's so handsome, and so CLEAN.

I like V8s as much as the next guy, but the potential of twin turbos and AWD really piques my interest and makes it something special.

Why oh why didn't they build this instead? Did it cost too much GM?
Old 06-28-2004, 09:51 PM
TECH Addict

I think they're still feeling the pain from the Syclone/Typhoon. (service nightmares for GM)
Old 06-28-2004, 10:10 PM
TECH Junkie

I likey the 6.0 SS!!! Not the other one. I think service Hell would be the proper term for that. I really like that 6.0!!! All of the truck 6.0's are suppose to be LS2's starting next year, right??? Or, in the near future. I thought the idea was to capitalize on the new Vette and make the engine more profitable?
Old 06-28-2004, 10:14 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

As long as you can get it in the short wheel base version, long one is ugly. I was looking at Trail Blazers, they ride smooth but have their issues. Also it feels real cheap.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:46 PM
TECH Addict

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...._code=04123205
(07:58 June 28, 2004)
Pumping Up: Domestic SUVs set to join horsepower horse race

By RICK KRANZ | Automotive News

Next year Chevrolet will pump up the TrailBlazer with a high-horsepower 6.0-liter V8 and a suspension tweaked at an unlikely location - Germany's famed Nurburgring track.

Meanwhile, Jeep is considering an SUV that would be at home on a racetrack, too. And it definitely wouldn't be "trail rated."

SUVs with big engines and suspension tweaks aren't new. Both Mercedes-Benz and Porsche AG have such vehicles. But it is not yet clear whether nonluxury brands can successfully compete for high-performance bragging rights.

The interest in powerful engines and better-handling SUVs reflects the trend in the car business, says Jeff Schuster, director of product analysis at J.D. Power and Associates.

The Chrysler group has been promoting Hemi-equipped cars and trucks, while Saturn has begun marketing its Red Line high-performance vehicles.

High-performance SUVs "equate to the whole kind of fun-to-drive wave that we are riding," Schuster says. "I think that is all playing into this, in ways to differentiate yourself from the competition."

To be sure, General Motors attempted this strategy once before - with little success. In 1992, the automaker introduced the GMC Typhoon, a 280-horsepower SUV variant of the Jimmy.

The automaker sold 2,500 Typhoons in 1992, and 2,200 in 1993. After two years, the company dropped the truck. Some critics noted that the Typhoon's lowered suspension ruled out towing or hauling.

General Motors is mum about details for the 2006 TrailBlazer SS. But a concept vehicle by the same name displayed at the New York auto show in April offers some hints, GM executives say.

That vehicle featured a 345-hp 6.0-liter V-8 Corvette engine with 380 pounds-feet of torque. The concept was equipped with stability control, the latest traction control system and an electronically controlled air suspension.

Key elements of the TrailBlazer SS's character will be ride and handling. The vehicle will share its suspension design with the 2005 Saab 9-7X, according to an industry source.

A test mule with a TrailBlazer front end was photographed in May during high-speed runs at Germany's famed Nurburgring track. That track is where Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Cadillac and other automakers test their sports cars and some sedans.

It's an unlikely venue for an SUV, but not unprecedented. Porsche tested its Cayenne SUV at Nurburgring.

While most SUVs have enough ground clearance to climb over rocks and tree trunks, GM lowered the center of gravity for the TrailBlazer SS. The concept's suspension is two inches lower. The intent is to reduce the risk of rollover.

The 2006 TrailBlazer SS is aimed at "a guy who wants an SUV that is out of the ordinary," says Jim Hall, vice president of industry analysis at AutoPacific Inc. "It definitely looks better because it sits lower. It is a lot more aggressive."

But GM isn't saying whether the 2006 TrailBlazer SS will be equipped with the Corvette engine touted in the concept.

Company spokeswoman Dayna Hart said the production vehicle will have a 6.0-liter V-8. The automaker "can't give specifics on whether it is the exact Corvette engine or the truck version, but it is a Corvette-inspired engine."

GM has three 6-liter V8s in its engine portfolio.

The truck's suspension "will not be exactly like the Saab's suspension," says Hart. But she did say that its suspension tuning will be that of a high-performance SUV.

Sales of the TrailBlazer SS will begin in fall 2005, she says. All-wheel drive will be optional. Jeep touts its SUVs as "trail rated" and points to their off-road capability. Yet Jeep is considering a Grand Cherokee SRT.

SRT is the Chrysler group's performance unit, which created vehicles such as the Dodge Viper SRT-10 and Ram SRT-10 pickup. Vehicles developed by the group feature horsepower, braking and handling enhancements.

"There is room for SRT in Jeep," says Joe Eberhardt, the Chrysler group's executive vice president of global sales, marketing and service.

While not confirming that a Grand Cherokee SRT will be produced, Eberhardt says, "I won't think that a couple of thousand SRT Jeeps will destroy the overall imagery and trail-rated capability of the Jeep brand."

But a Jeep aimed at performance enthusiasts would have to be re-engineered. The center of gravity would have to be lowered, which would affect the vehicle's off-road capability, Eberhardt says.

"We cannot lower the suspension of the vehicle enough to get high speed, highly capable handling and then have the articulation you need" to go off road," he says. "It doesn't work."

"I don't think people would expect a racing inspired, street-legal, high-performance Jeep to be at the same time off-road capable. That's the tradeoff."

Ford has no plans to follow General Motors, a company spokesman says. "High performance is reserved for a different niche, and we don't have any immediate plans for an Explorer SVT or anything like that," says Ford spokesman Dan Bedore. But Schuster believes that the Asian automakers won't ignore this trend. "I think the market is demanding performance across the segment," he says. "I think to be competitive, (Asian automakers) will have to have variants that can play with these guys."
Old 06-28-2004, 11:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Adam Bruce
I think they're still feeling the pain from the Syclone/Typhoon. (service nightmares for GM)
That was almost a decade ago, I would think the same company that brought us the turbo 3.8L V6 twenty years ago would be able to bring us a turbocharged 4.2L I6 with no issues.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:44 AM
TECH Resident

What's the verdict on the 4.2L Atlas inline 6 anyway? I heard so many things about it when it was first coming to market then all of a sudden all of the hype died and no one talks about it anymore. I so wished they would have found a way to package the 4.2L into the new Colorado/Canyon. The 3.5L inline 5 just doesn't cut it for me. Especially with the next Dakota possibly getting the Hemi as an option. IMO that could have been a prime platform for the 4.2L to have been exposed to the aftermarket. As for that twin turbo 6 Trailblazer. Hell I'd like to see that, but as others have said, it seems like it would be easier to take an existing engine (LS2) and just drop it into another vehicle than develop a special twin turbo setup just for one vehicle.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:08 AM
TECH Junkie

"That was almost a decade ago, I would think the same company that brought us the turbo 3.8L V6 twenty years ago would be able to bring us a turbocharged 4.2L I6 with no issues."

Three Hundred Years of the Western World fighting modern Guerrilla wars and you would think we could win one in quick fashion.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TriShield
That was almost a decade ago, I would think the same company that brought us the turbo 3.8L V6 twenty years ago would be able to bring us a turbocharged 4.2L I6 with no issues.
Not really, all the turbo work for the Syclone/Typhoon was outsourced. The company that did the conversion didn't stregthen the short block properly (can't remember if that was the exact issue), but it ended up costing GM some serious money in repairs. I really can't remember who did the conversion.

Now the GNX was a motor before it's time. I would love to see a reserection of that motor.

FWIW though I think GM should take a page from BMW and put that Inline 6 motor into a RWD Coupe/4-door. Maybe a "base" motor for the GTO and CTS-V. That would bring the fight right to BMW's door.

-Adam
Old 06-29-2004, 09:54 AM
TECH Junkie

"FWIW though I think GM should take a page from BMW and put that Inline 6 motor into a RWD Coupe/4-door. Maybe a "base" motor for the GTO and CTS-V."

AMEN!!!

Quick Reply: GM To Build 6.0L Powered Trailblazer SS