Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Picked up 2005 Acura TL for daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 11:03 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Default Picked up 2005 Acura TL for daily driver

Picked up a 6mt/05 TL on Saturday with 10 miles on it, we're almost at 400 now. Since I already have the Formula, and I live in the snowbelt, it was important that we find something we both could enjoy but that was stilly sporty enough for me. I lobbied for the GTO but the wife did not click with the styling. I test drove an Evo but we both concluded it was buzzy and rough. I test drove an G35 sedan with 6 spd/rwd but I thought it would be rough in the snow, and I drive to work every day.

Here is my list of likes and dislikes so far....

+270hp @ 6200, 11:1 V6
+6 speed manual, shorty shifter, very easy to drive, light clutch
+ Navi is worth it, easy to use and if you travel a fair amount, it's worth it, you can throw maps away
+XM radio, I've had it before and the TL has 12 channel presets
+CD, holds 6 cds!
+Brembos, these are awesome brakes
+Heated seats
+Heated side mirrors
+Front and rear defrosters
+Dual climate controls, now my wife has the passenger side at 80F and I have the driver's side at 67F
+Headlights really light up the road, I guess one is angled up and one is angled down to minimize dazziing of other drivers
+Trunk liner, I would reccomend it
+Nice exhaust tone
+6 spd, love it, shifts very easy, short throw, no concerns on what gear I was hitting
+Seats are very comfortable
+2 fobs, and they retain the seat and mirror memories for each fob
+Bluetooth sounds very neat
+Voice activated radio/xm/navi/climate control wow!
+When the mirror switch is in the right position, and you put the car in reverse, the passenger side mirror angles down, aids in parking... very very useful!

-Rear seat headrests are big and take some getting used to
-Rear view mirror autodim is nice but it's always dark
-I am worried that I will scratch the plastic by the seatbelt
-I am worried that the door sills will get scratched up
-I am worried that I am going to try a top speed run soon
-I'd like the exhaust to be a wee bit louder, I found myself riding out gears more than I normally would even though 3000-4000 is not crazy in a Honda.

All in all, I love the car, and it's an excellent value for the money. I take the interior for granted but my brother/law was loving it.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great car and for the money it's hard to come close to the TL's level of options and amenities. You made a great choice!

One of my coworkers got a TL, and he said the only car that came close for the money was the G35. He said that while the G35 was a little sportier, the interior wasn't as nice and the cabin was noisier. Personally I think the TL is one of the best looking car out there... just a shame it's not RWD or AWD.... but as a snow car I'm sure you're glad it isn't RWD
Old 11-01-2004, 12:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Yeah, the TL's are definitely nice. The way to go if you're gonna buy a Honda, haha...
Old 11-01-2004, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Excellent choice

Have fun with it..gotta love not having to choose options

-Todd
Old 11-01-2004, 01:09 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I drove a G35 sedan coupe, RWD and 6MT, ton of fun but slower. And RWD + manual trans is problematic cuz my wife would probably crash. I have done RWD in snow for years but I know how to adjust my driving.

One of the magazines got a 14.2, another a 14.5. So I figure 13.9 on a good day with a CAI.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:41 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO----->BUY AMERICAN
Old 11-01-2004, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I drove a G35 sedan coupe, RWD and 6MT, ton of fun but slower. And RWD + manual trans is problematic cuz my wife would probably crash. I have done RWD in snow for years but I know how to adjust my driving.

One of the magazines got a 14.2, another a 14.5. So I figure 13.9 on a good day with a CAI.
Which one, IYHO has better low-end and better top-end. I have only driven a 350Z M6 and not a TL M5. I have driven a TL auto though.

-Todd
Old 11-01-2004, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JS
IMO----->BUY AMERICAN
Granted the profits are going back to Japan, but I think the TL is at least built here in the states... Unlike some ****** that go off and buy a Euro-trash car assembled in the land of beer-swiging arians.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:08 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Word Adam
Good luck w/her John....
I wouldve bought a GTP Comp G
Old 11-03-2004, 12:22 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I think the TL is faster.

TL is made in the US.

I will never buy a GTP, I do not like the styling.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shinkaze
Granted the profits are going back to Japan, but I think the TL is at least built here in the states... Unlike some ****** that go off and buy a Euro-trash car assembled in the land of beer-swiging arians.
By Eastern European workers
Old 11-21-2004, 08:03 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JS
IMO----->BUY AMERICAN
Hate to break it to you, but your Firebird was assembled in Canada.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:56 AM
12 Second Club

Favorable exchange rate, eh?
Old 11-21-2004, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
Hate to break it to you, but your Firebird was assembled in Canada.
Where was your Silverado built?
Old 11-24-2004, 08:15 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Gloveperson
Where was your Silverado built?
Fort Wayne, IN....about two hours away from my house.
Old 11-27-2004, 08:28 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I think that anymore, you have to look at the economics of buying a $30,000 - $40,000 vehicle.

The wife and I are in the process of looking for a new ride for her that will grow with us as we start some family planning. For the money (30-40K) I am looking at Volvo and Acura because they will hold their value much better than a Ford or Chevy/GM. I can get a nice MDX for high 30s low 40s, which in 4-5 years will still get mid 20s for a trade in. To get a Explorer or Envoy/Trailblazer optioned the same, your looking at the same price, but in the same time span will be worth 5-7 grand less. It just doesn't make sense to me to just buy American and eat that fat of a depreciation.

In addition, the Acura's and Volvo's are leaps and bounds better in refinement and fit/finish than their American counterparts.
Old 11-27-2004, 08:36 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I think that anymore, you have to look at the economics of buying a $30,000 - $40,000 vehicle.

The wife and I are in the process of looking for a new ride for her that will grow with us as we start some family planning. For the money (30-40K) I am looking at Volvo and Acura because they will hold their value much better than a Ford or Chevy/GM. I can get a nice MDX for high 30s low 40s, which in 4-5 years will still get mid 20s for a trade in. To get a Explorer or Envoy/Trailblazer optioned the same, your looking at the same price, but in the same time span will be worth 5-7 grand less. It just doesn't make sense to me to just buy American and eat that fat of a depreciation.

In addition, the Acura's and Volvo's are leaps and bounds better in refinement and fit/finish than their American counterparts.

You know, I hope you are joking when you say that a volvo holds its value.....Acura has changed from sporty cars to sporty sedans trying to corner the same market as BMW,Lexus and Mercedes which is smart but they still have a ways to go in customer service and the vehicles themselves. Man, you really need to open your eyes on Volvo though. The car is junk. The parts are junk and their customer service makes you feel as though you can take better care of the car yourself. Save yourself the headache of owning one and go with a REAL luxury car. I have lots of friends and family in the car business and everyone stays away from Volvo.

Quick Reply: Picked up 2005 Acura TL for daily driver