Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Saturn Sky (Pontiac Solstice)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Saturn Sky (Pontiac Solstice)

What better way to destroy the buzz around the Solstice, (A car I think is very exciting, and will likely do to Pontiac what the Miata did to Mazda) than to release the same car under the "economy-brand"... Lemme guess, comming next Fall GM will release a Daewoo version of this car too?... *******.....makes me mad.

News Flash!
25-Nov-2004 01:26 AM EST:

Glimpse of the Sky

Automotive News / November 29, 2004

Saturn's first roadster finally has a name: Sky. Saturn revealed the name Monday, Nov. 29, when it released the first sketches of the rear-wheel-drive vehicle. Saturn says the Sky shows the new design cues that will appear across Saturn's product lineup. The Sky will debut at the Detroit auto show in January. The car will be built at GM's Wilmington, Del., assembly plant. It will arrive at Saturn retailers in early 2006.
-Adam -><- GM
Old 11-28-2004, 09:56 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

When's the Buick, GMC, and Isuzu versions come out?
Old 11-28-2004, 11:35 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As poorly as Saturn is doing , they need all the help they can get!
Old 11-28-2004, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

Import Opels/Vauxhalls and sell them here as Saturns. WOW, with one swift move I have solved Saturns product lineup debacle. The Sky is what was originally to be the next Vauxhall VX Roadster IIRC, and if it is anything like its predecessor it should be thoroughly bad ***. I just hope the Solstice doesn't get left in the dust. That blown iteration of the Ecotec that B. Lutz said would find its way into the Solstice as the top powerplant better not be far behind.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bruddah_man_matt
Import Opels/Vauxhalls and sell them here as Saturns. WOW, with one swift move I have solved Saturns product lineup debacle. The Sky is what was originally to be the next Vauxhall VX Roadster IIRC, and if it is anything like its predecessor it should be thoroughly bad ***. I just hope the Solstice doesn't get left in the dust. That blown iteration of the Ecotec that B. Lutz said would find its way into the Solstice as the top powerplant better not be far behind.
Here is the Vauxhall in question

Much more agressive than the Solstice... Since when is Saturn the new "Excitement" brand???? ugh....
Old 11-29-2004, 08:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Awesome looking car. The VX isn't really an import though, since it was US styled and engineered. It's just becoming a Saturn now instead of a Vauxhall.

They should be rebadging Opels for Saturn though, they're excellent cars now and would probably be the most cost effective way of revitalizing that brand.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Shinkaze
Here is the Vauxhall in question

Much more agressive than the Solstice... Since when is Saturn the new "Excitement" brand???? ugh....
If they actually made this car available in North America I'd have a tough time not buying one...

I imagine GM will water down the design long before it hits the Saturn dealerships...

Too bad cause that Vauxall is an awesome looking car.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JBsZ06
I imagine GM will water down the design long before it hits the Saturn dealerships...
The Solstice isn't going to be watered down, and neither will the Sky. GM is being very careful with each version of the Solstice and really paying attention to details. Prepare for the first awesome looking Saturn ever, hopefully more will follow.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:22 PM
TECH Resident

Like I said, just bring the rest of Opels/Vauxhalls lineup to America and sell them as Saturns. The Vectra is actually a decent looking car with a smooth 3.2L DOHC V6 and the option of a 5 speed manual IIRC whereas America got the Malibu which is saddled with a pushrod 3.5L V6, a 4 speed slushbox and fugly styling. Actually maybe the Vectra should have gone to Chevy instead of Saturn when you consider how much the Malibu pales in comparison to the Vectra. And... and, I hear rumors of Vauxhall working on a hi-po Vectra VXR.

Getting back to Saturn. With regards to small cars, the Astra VXR = 240hp pocket rocket with better looks than a Civic Si, GTi or even Saturns own Ion Redline Coupe.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bruddah_man_matt
Like I said, just bring the rest of Opels/Vauxhalls lineup to America and sell them as Saturns. The Vectra is actually a decent looking car with a smooth 3.2L DOHC V6 and the option of a 5 speed manual IIRC whereas America got the Malibu which is saddled with a pushrod 3.5L V6, a 4 speed slushbox and fugly styling. Actually maybe the Vectra should have gone to Chevy instead of Saturn when you consider how much the Malibu pales in comparison to the Vectra. And... and, I hear rumors of Vauxhall working on a hi-po Vectra VXR.

Getting back to Saturn. With regards to small cars, the Astra VXR = 240hp pocket rocket with better looks than a Civic Si, GTi or even Saturns own Ion Redline Coupe.
Personally I think Vauxhalls and Opel are both stronger Brands than Saturn. Rather than throw good money after bad, if GM want's to persue those markets they need to stop trying to "rejuivinate brands" and focus more on "creating brands".

Take Chevrolet for instance. what is a Chevy? It's a Small Big economy car truck sport car with 2 to 9 seats the ability to go off road and on road only while being very cheap and expensive. Ge the Point? By persueing so many differnt markets with one "Brand" the Brand "Chevrolet" no longer means anything. If I say "Lotus" You get a very specific car in your mind. If I say "Volvo" You immediatly think "safe family car". If I say "Saturn" you think "Cheap boring piece of ****". so why Should GM spend a lot of money treying to "fix a brand" by introducing a car like the Vauxhall 2-Seat Convertible Sports car. I can't think of the first Sports Car buyer that says "I want a 2-Seat Sport car, maybe I should go check out my local Saturn dealership". As I said It's throwing good money after bad.

Picture this Scenario, Let's say Volvo's sales are dying on the vine, would introducing a Volvo Corvette-Killer save the brand? No, it would dillute it, mainly because it's introducing a car that is opposite to the "meaning" of the word "Volvo". Likewise "Saturn" has no "performance equity". Though lord knows GM has tried to force the Saturn red line onto the scene to get into some import action, but that's crap too. GM would have been better served by taking that money and buying out 100% of Subaru then using Subaru as their "import scene" car. Why? Because it's an import!!!

If GM wants to "save Saturn" they need to ask themselves:

1.) is it worth saving?
2.) Would the $$ spent saving this brand be better spent building a different brand?
3.) What market are they chasing here? Is Chrysler "Chasing" a market with the 300C or leading it? How did they lead it? By giving consumers what they wanted (that is a RWD 340hp V8 Super-Sedan in a segment dominated by FWD V6s with no personality).

Sorry rant off.
-Adam
Old 12-01-2004, 01:41 AM
TECH Resident

Well I'd be inclined to agree with you with regards to your theory, except that Bob Lutz and company were able to take Cadillac and do a complete 180. From luxury barges to competent sporty sedans and a damn nice roadster. Lets also not forget the Gen Y blingmobile Escalade either. The same thing happened with Nissan and Infiniti. Nissan always seemed to be playing catch up to Toyota and Honda with a slight focus on being sporty to differentiate itself from the other two manufacturers, then one day they introduced the 6th gen Maxima and the current Altima and created a midsize family sedan hp war making 240hp the norm. As for Infiniti. Always slightly watered down Nissans save for the original Q-Ship but then BOOM, they import the Skyline and badge it a G35 and we have a winner. Same things for the dead sexy FX and the upcoming M35/45. Reinventing makes is possible, but you gotta be dead set on what you want and stay focused. The problem with Chevy and Saturn is that there seems to be no clear cut direction for any of these nameplates. Whereas all Caddies save for the DeVille for now went from a FWD to a RWD platform in a matter of a few years and put emphasis on sporty handling characteristics and a competent powertrain with optional manual transmissions to emphasize their performance oriented direction, we've got an awesome new Vette, a dead pony car, a watered down AWD performance truck, a fugly hardtop roadster truck that at least now has decent power, a new FWD supercharged compact, a bloated FWD two door with a big *** and a bland full sizer loved by n00bs who just want a big car and could give a sheezy what Impala used to stand for. Whereas GM fastracked the Caddy turnaround, they seemed to be doing things one platform at a time for the other manufacturers starting from the top down. G8 (Bonneville Replacement)/full sized Buick replacement etc...
Old 12-01-2004, 09:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Is there really that much confusion about what Saturn stands for?

To me, it's always been about excellent service, and good cars though they haven't really been good lately. I guess to make it simpler, I think of them as the US Volkswagen.

What better way to embody that image than to actually sell slightly different, reasonably priced, German engineered cars? They should also bring back their feel-good marketing to bolster their feel-good image. It can be done, and it can save Saturn. Even if it means assembling some of the Opels here.

What scares me though is that GM wants to position Saturn more upscale, were Oldsmobile was. Very bad move, and un-Saturn like. Let Buick handle the affordable upscale stuff. Let Saturn be fun, smiley and slightly quirky.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:36 PM
TECH Veteran

I can see all of these with Saturn badges as the only change necessary. But that would be too easy right GM?
Old 12-01-2004, 09:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Off topic slightly, what makes GM think they can sell 30,000 Pontiac Solstices in the first year? I don't think Mazda sells nearly that many Miatas a year. Perhaps they focus way too much on sales numbers, instead of what cars like this can do for the brand's image.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TriShield
Off topic slightly, what makes GM think they can sell 30,000 Pontiac Solstices in the first year? I don't think Mazda sells nearly that many Miatas a year. Perhaps they focus way too much on sales numbers, instead of what cars like this can do for the brand's image.
I believe they are going with such a large prodution because I believe the MR2 spyder is not being produced which will leave an opening for the Miata and now the Soulstice to pick up sales. The Miata is old and girlish right now in many potential buyers minds so this car has the potential to do some good sales numbers. Hopefully, the cut production after the first year when the competition comes back and the "new age" buzz of the car is gone.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:08 AM
TECH Veteran

People are already complaining about the Solstice's projected weight of 2,800 lbs, could that sink this car before it even launches?
Old 12-05-2004, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TriShield
People are already complaining about the Solstice's projected weight of 2,800 lbs, could that sink this car before it even launches?
2800 lbs

That would certainly kill it! I hope you are wrong.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

Upper left hand corner of the picutre.

Quick Reply: Saturn Sky (Pontiac Solstice)