Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Ferrari Maranello Superamerica

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 12:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ferrari Maranello Superamerica

....interesting.... especially in red it reminds me of a can of Coke with a pop-top.

From www.Autoweek.com

The Superamerica features a Fioravanti-patented rotating roof with a rearward rotation movement. Only on America: Ferrari releases photos, details of innovative Superamerica open-top

Posted Date: 11/24/04
Ferrari has taken the wraps off its upcoming, Pininfarina-penned Ferrari Superamerica, which combines 12-cylinder performance with a unique take on the convertible concept.

The limited-edition Ferrari will debut at the upcoming Los Angeles and Detroit Auto Shows in January.

The Superamerica is the first production car to combine a rearward rotating roof with electrochromic technology developed for the top’s glass surfaces.

Iindustrial materials giant Saint Gobain helped develop the electrochromic glass, which allows the driver to control the level of light entering the cockpit. Five tint levels are available and the glass can go from dark to light in under a minute at the touch of a button.

The glass combines with a Fioravanti-patented rotating roof with a rearward rotation movement, dubbed ‘Revocromico’ by Ferrari, that electrically drops in 10 seconds flat, according to the automaker. It has a carbon-fiber structure and the boot capacity remains unchanged open or closed. The glass rear window also acts as wind deflector when the roof is retracted.

Based on the 575M Maranello, the Superamerica will be available with either an F1-style or manual gearbox. Its 12-cylinder engine has been boosted to deliver 540 hp. The new car can also be ordered with Ferrari’s GTC Handling package, which includes features such as carbon ceramic brakes.

-Adam, Coca-Cola Addict
Old 11-28-2004, 01:28 AM
12 Second Club

So they invented an automatic Targa top. The profile of hat car looks almost exactly like a C5. Photoshop some Y2K vette wheels on there and see what I mean.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:39 PM
TECH Resident

Gorgeous, just plain drop dead gorgeous. I have had the honor of seeing 2 of the 449 550 Pininfarina Barchettas built (one of which came whizzing by in Beverley Hills) and OMFGIDIED. The 550/575 is the best looking Ferrari currently in production, and from what I saw it's even more sexy without a top. The Superamerica splits the difference between the practicality of a coupe, and the sexiness of a barchetta with a targa top and I must say it does look damn good.

As for it looking like a C5 in profile, meh, IIRC the 550 was introduced before the C5 and the C5 looks like an FD RX-7 in profile itself anyway. In this day in age it's pretty hard to build a vehicle that doesn't in some ways resemble another... unless of course the name of your company is TVR.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:32 PM
TECH Junkie

I thought they were doing away with the 550/575 line to bring in the 612? Are they using 550/575 cars that werent sold or what?

And I outside of the 360/430 cars the profile isnt C5-like @ all. About the only thing I can think of that it shares a similar styling cue is the long nose, short tail look. Outside of that I cant see any similarities between the 550/575 w/ the C5. Altho Im sure Prodrive would've liked to have some similiarities in the win column for ALMS like the C5-R lol.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ling_650vette
I thought they were doing away with the 550/575 line to bring in the 612? Are they using 550/575 cars that werent sold or what?
The horrendously bulbous looking 612 Scaglietti replaced the beautiful and curvaceous 456M GT/GTA, NOT the 550/575M. The 612 is a 2+2 whereas the 550/575M is a strict two seater. The replacement for the 575M (which rumors suggest may be called 600 Imola) is currently under development.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Ah. I got my cars confused then. I knew it was replacing something, but couldnt remember exactly what. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 12-01-2004, 01:20 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ling_650vette
Ah. I got my cars confused then. I knew it was replacing something, but couldnt remember exactly what. Thanks for the clarification.
anytime.

Quick Reply: Ferrari Maranello Superamerica