Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

2006 (7?) M3 4-door

Old 11-29-2004, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2006 (7?) M3 4-door

Caught in testing, the new 400hp V8 M3 (4-door).

And this one is thought to be the next 330 Sport Package.

-Adam

Last edited by Shinkaze; 11-29-2004 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Gt the photos reveresed. M3 has dual side exhaust.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

And Copy..

BMW M3

These pictures (above) prove BMW is planning a four-door M3, which will sit alongside the traditional coupé version when the cars are launched in around three years from now. The early 1990s was the last time BMW sold its performance legend in both two- and four-door bodystyles.

The M3 prototype pictured above and given away by its twin tailpipes, is based on new 3-series saloon, but with unique styling reminiscent of the 6-series coupé’s. This is most noticeable up front, where a rounded leading edge and flared wheelarches dominate. A coupé M3, which on early prototypes was disguised to appear like a cabriolet with a folding hard-top roof, has also been seen running around Germany’s Nürburgring track.

The current M3’s 343bhp 3.2-litre in-line six is replaced by a new 400bhp 4.0-litre V8 engine derived from the M5’s 90-degree 5.0-litre V10. It is the first time BMW has fitted a V8 into the 3-series. Peak
power is claimed to be around 405bhp – 62bhp up on today’s M3 and enough to ensure it meets BMW M-division’s traditional 100bhp-plus-per-litre specific output. Drive will be through the same seven-speed SMG (sequential manual gearbox) seen on the new M5 and an updated version of BMW’s M-differential. Expect 0-60mph in 5.0sec and a standing quarter mile in under 14sec. Top speed will be limited to 155mph.

BMW was planning to name the coupé and cabrio ‘4-series’, but has changed its mind after market research, and will now stick with the 3-series moniker across the range.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

[i]Drive will be through the same seven-speed SMG (sequential manual gearbox) seen on the new M5 [/i}

Well as we all know, the layout of the 7 speed tranny prevents it from being shifted manually via a traditionally H pattern. Guess that means the new 4.0L V8 powered M Cars (E90 and the Z4 M Roadster) will only be available with SMG III. That leaves the rumored M1/M2 to be the only M car to possibly be available with a traditional manual as I'm thinking a 7 speeder in that car borders on overkill. However with Mercedes looking to eventually outfit its AMG lineup with its 7G-Tronic 7 speed slushbox who knows. If the M1/M2 gets the 7 speed tranny as well we can kiss any hope of a traditional clutch and stick manual in ANY M car goodbye.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bruddah_man_matt
[i]Drive will be through the same seven-speed SMG (sequential manual gearbox) seen on the new M5 [/i}

Well as we all know, the layout of the 7 speed tranny prevents it from being shifted manually via a traditionally H pattern. Guess that means the new 4.0L V8 powered M Cars (E90 and the Z4 M Roadster) will only be available with SMG III. That leaves the rumored M1/M2 to be the only M car to possibly be available with a traditional manual as I'm thinking a 7 speeder in that car borders on overkill. However with Mercedes looking to eventually outfit its AMG lineup with its 7G-Tronic 7 speed slushbox who knows. If the M1/M2 gets the 7 speed tranny as well we can kiss any hope of a traditional clutch and stick manual in ANY M car goodbye.
Well I t would be nice if they offered a 7-speed SMG III and a 6-speed manual optional. Conceptionaly SMG is really cool, I just can't warm up to it.

-Adam

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 (7?) M3 4-door