Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Jan. 05 Popular Hot Rodding

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 05:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Jan. 05 Popular Hot Rodding

I probably have just missed this somewhere down the line, but in the
Q&A portion of the Magazine someone wanted to know why GM isn't promoting the new camaro. Aside from the obvious answer to this question, I was taken aback to the response to this question. The reply to the question contained this statement "As far as promoting a new Camaro, Chevy already built the concept car and showed it at the Detroit show in Jan. of 03'. It was called the SS." This is the first time I had heard that? Am I just out of the loop? I'm very well aware of the fact that technically this is ALL just speculation, but had you guys heard that?
Old 12-10-2004, 10:59 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Although I'm familiar with the SS concept, thats the first I've ever heard of it being the next Fbod.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have heard that a number of times, I am not a big fan of the styling of the car.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:27 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Probably just the opinion of the author of the article...
Old 12-11-2004, 01:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BigTex
Although I'm familiar with the SS concept, thats the first I've ever heard of it being the next Fbod.
I've mentioned it before on this site. If there is a new Camaro in the works, it will likely use cues from that car.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

SS Concept =
Old 12-13-2004, 08:02 AM
Chop-Foo Director

4 door Camaro =
Old 12-13-2004, 08:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is pure speculation. If GM was stupid enough to replace the Camaro with that piece of crap, I'd be even more disappointed in them. I know that doesn't mean much, but it would be a pathetic excuse for keeping the "SS" badge alive.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:51 PM
TECH Junkie

They arent talking about it because they dont want to. Its probably got partly with marketing, and partly with engineering. Its HUGE news for GM to come out and say "We're working on a new Camaro line", when they have to find a platform, fit the engine, suspension, drive train, body etc to it and to say "all this will be sold starting XX of XX".

In a past mag they said that GM isnt saying anything because there's essentailly a "gag order" in effect @ GM for talking about the upcomming Camaro. Truth or not, I dunno. I hate that GM isnt giving out any information, but I look @ it like this. If GM is being THIS silent about an upcomming Camaro-line, then it better be something badass. They dont want the competition to know, so hopefully @ the NAIAS they're going to blind side 'em with an LS2 powered 375hp SS and a 355hp Z28...hopefully.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:05 AM
TECH Addict

Take at a look at the other thread about the Camaro leak and you'll see numerous Zeta body cars hitting the street in the next year. I think GM's new strategy will be

4-door Chevy-Zeta Monte Carlo (small) and Impala (big)
2-door Chevy-Zeta Camaro

4-door Pontiac-Zeta Grand Prix
2-door Pontiac-Zeta GTO

Makes sense to me.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Whish they would add a new Firebird on that list too.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shinkaze
Take at a look at the other thread about the Camaro leak and you'll see numerous Zeta body cars hitting the street in the next year. I think GM's new strategy will be

4-door Chevy-Zeta Monte Carlo (small) and Impala (big)
2-door Chevy-Zeta Camaro

4-door Pontiac-Zeta Grand Prix
2-door Pontiac-Zeta GTO

Makes sense to me.
Agreed. This years NAIAS should have the new Impala so we will get a glimpse of what a large Zeta means.

I am looking at the Cobolt right now as a daily driver. The interior looks better than most of the japs! Chevy seems to be doing something right as of late, as long as that sheet wasn't lying.

Originally Posted by ChiefBrody
Whish they would add a new Firebird on that list too.
I wish they could, but it wouldn't make much market sense with the GTO in their lineup and the soulstice
Old 12-15-2004, 12:00 AM
TECH Regular

GM needs to come out with a retro styled looking Camaro;similiar to a few artist concepts that I have seen in either Super Chevy or Popular Hotrodding. I think that if the new Camaro looks anything remotely like the GTO it will be a flop. I hate to say it but look at what success Ford is having with the new '05 Mustang! They need to get with the program and start putting the fun/performance back into their lineup; I know Suv's and trucks are/were popular sellers but give the people what they want. Not all of us can afford Vettes and with the styling changes they have made in the past couple of years it leads me to believe that some of the higher ups are asleep at the wheel ! Just passionate about my f-bods and the brand in general!! What do you guys think?
Old 12-15-2004, 04:04 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nooooooo! Not the SS , I was thinking about buying a new Camaro when it came back out but not if it's that thing! Besides , that SS is already out , it's called an RX8.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 95zpro
GM needs to come out with a retro styled looking Camaro;similiar to a few artist concepts that I have seen in either Super Chevy or Popular Hotrodding. I think that if the new Camaro looks anything remotely like the GTO it will be a flop. I hate to say it but look at what success Ford is having with the new '05 Mustang! They need to get with the program and start putting the fun/performance back into their lineup; I know Suv's and trucks are/were popular sellers but give the people what they want. Not all of us can afford Vettes and with the styling changes they have made in the past couple of years it leads me to believe that some of the higher ups are asleep at the wheel ! Just passionate about my f-bods and the brand in general!! What do you guys think?
You are not alone. When Kris Horton had his retro design published they received hundreds of mail to compliment the design. They did receive some that complained of the retro style but they did not measure up very high.

The sad part is that Lutz has already said he does not want retro and he is shooting for futurisitc. Kinda reminds me of the pacer...

Quick Reply: Jan. 05 Popular Hot Rodding