Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

5.7L Hemi With A Stick

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 03:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.7L Hemi With A Stick

http://www.thecarconnection.com/inde...&sid=275&n=157

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Dodge currently does NOT offer a 6 speed manual for Hemi equipped Rams. Thus the Power Wagon being available with a 6 speed is a good indication that we may finally be able to buy a Hemi powered LX car with a 6 speed stick as well, perhaps in a year or two. IIRC the Magnum is now available with a 6 speed for both the 2.7L and 3.5L V6 models, but thus far only a 5 speed slushy is available with the Hemi. In any case, I'm hoping the manual tranny available in the PW finds its way into the LX cars, specifically the Charger. My guess is that since the 300 SRT-8 and Magnum SRT-8 both pack slushboxes, the Charger SRT-8 will be the top dog and hopefully... HOPEFULLY pack a 6 speed manual.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:12 PM
TECH Veteran

It's been rumored for a long time that the Hemi Dodge cars will all offer manual transmissions sometime soon.

Honestly, the Mercedes-Benz automatic they come with is a really nice top shelf unit. We'll see how much better the six-speed performs.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:50 PM
TECH Addict

The Merc 7-speed is a work of art, shame it's probably too expensive to put in a Dodge.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:33 AM
Staging Lane

I'm fine with the Charger being 4 doors. However, since Dodge is marketing it as a sporty muscle car, I think it should at least have an OPTIONAL 6 speed. Sure, the 94-96 Impala SS was a 4 door automatic, but it was never marketed as a sports car. The old SS was marketed as a badass family car that dad would want to drive. But anyways, I just think it's wrong for a car company to bring out a badass sports car and market it as so with not even an optional stick. Just my $.02.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:56 PM
Teching In

Why would want a 7-speed merc when there is a 8-speed tranny already. 7 gears are outdated.

LX platform does not currently support the 6-speed Tremac Viper tranny.

DCx is consider going with paddle type shifters on future performance vehicles.
Old 02-26-2005, 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HemiDakota
Why would want a 7-speed merc when there is a 8-speed tranny already. 7 gears are outdated.

There are transmissions with a hell of a lot more than 8 gears. Does that mean that the LX cars can support these trannies? Uhhhh, probably not. He refered to the 7G-Tronic since it is built by Mercedes-Benz for PASSENGER CARS, and since the LX cars share some componentry with the previous E-Class, well it kind of makes sense to use other parts from the Merc passenger car bin wouldn't you agree?
Old 02-26-2005, 06:08 PM
Staging Lane

Last I remember the hemi only came with a manual in the 2500 series
Old 02-27-2005, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HemiDakota
As Matt mentioned the 7G is a passenger car tranny, and a damn good one at that. Hopefully it will make it's way down to an affordable car...one day.
I can't say that's a bad thing. I've owned (2) T56 cars and while they were a lot of fun I think the T-56 needs to be replaced with a smoother tranny. The ZF in my M3 is much smoother and has more positive engagement. A friend of mine just bought an S2000 and that by far has the nicest tranny I've ever driven. Of course neither tranny was designed to handle the torque the T56 was, but Tremec has done nothing to update that Tranny since taking it over from Borg Warner. Personally I would like to see it replaced across th board witha singel overdrive 6-speed.
DCx would go with an automatic (Torque Converter) tranny with "auto-stick" paddles. Personally I think those types of trannies offer little in the way of performance. Of course I really do not like the BMW SMG tranny either. It's all the hassel and smootheness of a regular manual as driven by a 16-year old with all the fun of an automatic.. Worst of both world IMOHO. Now I haven't driven an Audi DSG but I think that's where SMG type trannies need to go.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shinkaze
The ZF in my M3 is much smoother and has more positive engagement. A friend of mine just bought an S2000 and that by far has the nicest tranny I've ever driven. Of course neither tranny was designed to handle the torque the T56 was, but Tremec has done nothing to update that Tranny since taking it over from Borg Warner. Personally I would like to see it replaced across th board witha singel overdrive 6-speed.
I definatly agree with you on that the T56 needs to be re-worked in gearing and act more like a real 6-speed, instead of a 5-speed with an extra over-drive. As for the best shifter, I think the Miata or the RX8 have the best shifter/s ever. I used to think the S2000 was as good as the Miata, but after driving the RX8, I have to give the nod to Mazda.

I really don't mind the harshness of the T-56. While it would not fit in a BMW or other cars that are (dare I say) less raw-edged than the cars that are fitted with the T-56 (except for the GTO), I believe they work very will in the Viper, the Vette and the upcoming Cobra and (hopefully) 5th gen. Especially since all of those are probably have the highest percentage of owners who mod their cars and the T56 can handle pretty much everything you throw at it.

Originally Posted by shinkaze
DCx would go with an automatic (Torque Converter) tranny with "auto-stick" paddles. Personally I think those types of trannies offer little in the way of performance.
Agreed on that point as well. While it is a nifty feature, it is pointless and offers no real fun or control and is more of an annoyance than anything else. I think of it as a mid-life crisis option.

Originally Posted by shinkaze
Now I haven't driven an Audi DSG but I think that's where SMG type trannies need to go.
I think the real fault of the SMG is the awful programs that they all have right now. I drove an aunts Z4 and that thing was gawd-awfull, your description is the best way I have ever anyone put the SMG as of yet. Once the program glitches are worked out, I think it will be amazing, since when the thing did work, it was a blast to shift with the paddles!

The DSG sounds good, just as CVT does..untill you drive in one. You never get the rush at all, since it never really downshifts and revs (I drive the Audi and the Ford 500). I find it nifty and good for fuel economy, but it took all the fun out of the car, and was even less fun to drive than a conventional auto IMHO.

Last edited by Gloveperson; 02-27-2005 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:36 AM
12 Second Club

I wish my moms Hemi came with a manual.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bruddah_man_matt
There are transmissions with a hell of a lot more than 8 gears. Does that mean that the LX cars can support these trannies? Uhhhh, probably not. He refered to the 7G-Tronic since it is built by Mercedes-Benz for PASSENGER CARS, and since the LX cars share some componentry with the previous E-Class, well it kind of makes sense to use other parts from the Merc passenger car bin wouldn't you agree?
Correct...alot of cross sharing!
Old 03-05-2005, 06:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bruddah_man_matt
http://www.thecarconnection.com/inde...&sid=275&n=157

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Dodge currently does NOT offer a 6 speed manual for Hemi equipped Rams. Thus the Power Wagon being available with a 6 speed is a good indication that we may finally be able to buy a Hemi powered LX car with a 6 speed stick as well, perhaps in a year or two. IIRC the Magnum is now available with a 6 speed for both the 2.7L and 3.5L V6 models, but thus far only a 5 speed slushy is available with the Hemi. In any case, I'm hoping the manual tranny available in the PW finds its way into the LX cars, specifically the Charger. My guess is that since the 300 SRT-8 and Magnum SRT-8 both pack slushboxes, the Charger SRT-8 will be the top dog and hopefully... HOPEFULLY pack a 6 speed manual.
I didn't even read the whole article but the 6 speed in that truck probably has a creaper first gear that you don't even use during regular driving.

Quick Reply: 5.7L Hemi With A Stick