Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

GM marketing...

Old 02-22-2005, 08:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GM marketing...

I don't know how many time I have talked to a Camaro or Trans Am/Firehawk/Formula owners that don't even know the name of the motor but know that it's a "Corvette motor". I don't know if GM has done this before or not, but if they could make a commercial or something that says something along the lines of.."The all new 2007 Camaro Z28 now coming with the all new LS2 out of the corvette...". This might improve their sells just a tad bit. What do you think?
Old 02-22-2005, 09:04 PM
TECH Junkie

It might, but IMO its not a Corvette engine. Yeah the LS1 started in the vette, along with some other previously offered engines, if its in the Camaro, and never came from a vette, its not a vette engine. Some may see it differently, but thats just my opinion.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ling_650vette
It might, but IMO its not a Corvette engine. Yeah the LS1 started in the vette, along with some other previously offered engines, if its in the Camaro, and never came from a vette, its not a vette engine. Some may see it differently, but thats just my opinion.
I agree, but if GM said that the Camaro and Corvette motors were the same then there MIGHT be an increase in sales.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

The people that didn't know the motors in the C5 Vettes and F-bodies were virtually the same were probably non car enthusiasts and them knowing that the motor originated in the Corvette might not have influenced their decision at all. But who knows. This reminds me of the Ford people who think ANY DOHC 4.6L is a "Cobra motor without the blower."
Old 02-22-2005, 10:10 PM
TECH Resident

Hell how many times do you remember ever seeing an ad for an F body???
Old 02-22-2005, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

That would be a preety stupid thing to do on GMs part because it would surely drop the sales of a corvette. Vette owners would realize that they share the same motor as a "lesser" model and wont feel all exclusive. They could easily go to a different car.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BADFNZ

When I first saw the 30th Anniversary T/A ONLINE, I didn't know what kind of car it was till I saw the whole picture and description. I still thought that the T/A looked like it did in the 80s before seeing the article. No marketing for the Fbods at all and they wonder why the car didn't sell.

That pic of the nose was the first pic that I saw of it. Menacing isn't it?
Old 02-23-2005, 12:17 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Flawless
That would be a preety stupid thing to do on GMs part because it would surely drop the sales of a corvette. Vette owners would realize that they share the same motor as a "lesser" model and wont feel all exclusive. They could easily go to a different car.
Nope GM has gotten over that little thing. The 05 GTO and the 05 SSR both have the full fledged 400 hp LS2.

Hell they even gave the caddy CTS-v the LS6. Gm realizes that people will buy a vette cause they want a vette....not just a motor.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:31 AM
12 Second Club

Nope GM has gotten over that little thing. The 05 GTO and the 05 SSR both have the full fledged 400 hp LS2.

Hell they even gave the caddy CTS-v the LS6. Gm realizes that people will buy a vette cause they want a vette....not just a motor.
That is true, but the Vette is still #1 to GM and no other GM car will surpass it in performance. GM will make sure of that.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

I remember back in '98 there was a magazine ad with the front nose of a WS6 and the caption read "To a bug it's a 320 HP blender." I kept it but I can't find it now.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:07 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Camaro: The official car of Rock-N-Roll
TransAm : The muscle car is back!
Both TV ads for the F-bodies.
Too bad the idiots for GM haven't figured out we're tired of their BS and aren't gonna buy whatever crap they try to shove down our throats. Come back with the Camaro or my next car purchase will be a Mustang. I want a musclecar not a useless pickup lookin' thingy (SSR) or a Grand Am lookin' thingy with a V8 (GTO) and I won't spend what you want for a Corvette! Cobalt? HAIL NO! Get it together or my money spends just as well somewhere else!
Old 02-24-2005, 04:06 PM
12 Second Club

Agreed, if there isnt a new camaro in 07-08 I will be purchasing a Cobra.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes Ford's lookin real good right now
Old 02-24-2005, 04:49 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, I've seen a couple of the old Firebird commercials online, and they look almost identical to the ones they use now for the GTO. If those ads couldn't work for the beautiful, aggressive Firebird, how are they going to work for the sleeper GTO? Stupid marketing. When I got my 02 Trans Am, people had NO CLUE what I was driving. One girl even thought I was driving a Ferrari (she still thinks it's a Ferrari ) But yeah, while the Camaro might be one of Chevy's most recognized names, the Trans Am/Firebird sure as hell isn't one of Pontiac's. It was pretty sad when most of the Mustang guys in my town would ask what kind of car I was driving. They didn't even know their competition
Old 02-24-2005, 07:55 PM
Teching In

I think its halarious when people ask what kind of motor my T/A has. I tell them its a LS1 and they say "oh..." then I tell them Its the same motor they used in the corvettes, and they say "wow! how long did it take you to swap that out?!?"
Old 02-24-2005, 09:21 PM
10 Second Club

If you really want to confuse people.....put the Corvette fuel rail covers on. I have had people come up to me at the drag strip and say "it's no wonder that thing is quick. You got the Corvette engine".

I tell them "yeah, it was an option in 99".
Old 02-24-2005, 09:40 PM
TECH Junkie

I guess no one remembers the old TV ad w/ the WS6 pulling up to the stoplight w/ another car in front of it, then revving up and running "though" the other car and then it burping? The ad said something like "The all new Pontiac Trans Am with Ram Air...everything else is just lunch". I loved that commercial.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:41 PM
Launching!

Out of the '02 Camaro sales brochure:

Old 02-25-2005, 12:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Martingale
I remember back in '98 there was a magazine ad with the front nose of a WS6 and the caption read "To a bug it's a 320 HP blender." I kept it but I can't find it now.
I've got an old Motor Trend with that ad on the back.....or maybe it's a Road and Track.....

...whatever, i know the ad you're talking about.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:40 AM
12 Second Club

The commercial with the T/A eating the Lambo at the light was pretty cool even though I only saw it online and never on TV. The 320 HP blender was on the back of Chevy Performance and Pontiac Enthusiasts magazines also. I have a few of those lying around. But these cars were really never advertised on TV or even in movies. 2F2F at least had a first gen camaro in it but no newer models. How is the buying public supposed to know that these cars even exist?

When I had the T/A in 99, alot of people asked what kind of car it was since there was no labeling on the front. Just the word Pontiac on the headlight cover.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GM marketing...