Old 03-11-2005, 01:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default article about gm's factory racing outlook

http://www.freep.com/sports/otherspo...e_20050310.htm
Old 03-11-2005, 07:17 AM
TECH Addict

Concentrating on the production vehicles sounds like a good plan IMO. Maybe they will get more recognition and press and then have some land fall of new customers.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:46 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta agree with Jack here, it's like the old saying" What wins on Sunday, sells on Monday".
Old 03-11-2005, 04:42 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

That's good news to hear.....especially the drag racing part.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by badjuju342
Gotta agree with Jack here, it's like the old saying" What wins on Sunday, sells on Monday".
must be why they sold so many tauruses

i think it's cool if they're racing in something like that 5.0 series in australia, something that you really could buy on monday.....sort of....more or less....

ithe drag racing and nascar affiliations are sort of a joke though....i think it's awsome that they want to go in that direction, but seeing a funny car line up with a "firebird" body doesn't do much for me, just like seeing a "monte carlo" doing the circles in nascar versus a "charger" is just funny....i like the racing, i just don't think it makes people want to run out and buy a charger or a monte carlo
Old 03-11-2005, 09:40 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jdustu
must be why they sold so many tauruses

i think it's cool if they're racing in something like that 5.0 series in australia, something that you really could buy on monday.....sort of....more or less....

ithe drag racing and nascar affiliations are sort of a joke though....i think it's awsome that they want to go in that direction, but seeing a funny car line up with a "firebird" body doesn't do much for me, just like seeing a "monte carlo" doing the circles in nascar versus a "charger" is just funny....i like the racing, i just don't think it makes people want to run out and buy a charger or a monte carlo
Don't forget about the Pro Stock class in NHRA. The GTO is set to debut mid-year (replacing the Grand Ams that carried over into this season). The dimensions of the Pro Stock cars are very close to stock (though not as close to the stock dimensions as they were say four years ago). Now they have a common wheelbase and front overhang (front wheels forward). I bought my Firebird back in 2000 partly because I thought they made slick Pro Stockers.

They're not trying to hide the fact that a Firebird Funny Car doesn't have any stock appearance whatsoever (or run derivatives of the Chrysler Hemi)....that's why they're called "Funny Cars".
Old 03-12-2005, 02:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

actually they are called funny cars because when the ramcharger team moved the body back on the frame to help plant the rear of their cars everybody thought they looked funny. they were factory cars, available 426 engines,just with a lot of race engineering and wheels that were way too far foward.
i know they aren't trying to hide anything, but the evolution of the sport(the majority of racing) has brought it to the point where the cars bought on monday have almost nothing but an emblem similar with it's racing namesake, and it's ridiculous that an auto company has to make a certain number of a certain type of car so that a completely unrelated vehicle can compete in a race. You can have all the similar dimensions you want, but nothing on a prostock car or nascar car came off a showroom floor. that's fine, but it's hard not to laugh when you see a dale jr. edition front wheel drive v6 monte carlo roll by. and how'd those front wheel drive v6 grand am's do in pro stock?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: article about gm's factory racing outlook