Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

DAILY GM NEWS: 4 Truck Plants to Shift into OT

Old 05-12-2005, 07:24 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default DAILY GM NEWS: 4 Truck Plants to Shift into OT

Goes to show that GM management is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY out of touch. I know a lot of us have said this in the past, but this, I think, shows they are more out of touch at a level that many of us had't even speculated.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosins...A01-179537.htm
Old 05-12-2005, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

Maybe that's where the money is for GM for right now. GM has a lot of work to do with their cars and SUVs but it sounds like the pickup sales are there. The Sierra sales were up 8%.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:13 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by bradyb
Maybe that's where the money is for GM for right now. GM has a lot of work to do with their cars and SUVs but it sounds like the pickup sales are there. The Sierra sales were up 8%.

This could be a strike it rich or a give me to the paupers kind of play though. Hopefully they're right, but if not, It'll be a long row to hoe.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sb427f-car
This could be a strike it rich or a give me to the paupers kind of play though. Hopefully they're right, but if not, It'll be a long row to hoe.
I hope its a wise decision, I would hate to see GM fall behind Toyota like Ford has.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

Too little...Too late.

GM needs to get people excited about their cars vs. trying to sell more of the same stuff. I think the well has run dry in the design department.

They need a new design for their trucks. Everyone has updated their trucks except GM. Fascia changes don't count. We F-body guys know that too well. Who wants to buy a +10 year old design. Get with it GM... Build some cars that will compete. Fire your marketing department. Get serious and more mature with the advertising.

Compare a GM or Ford TV commercial with a BMW, Audi, Acura, Honda, Toyota. Notice how the competition is more focused on the ads. Serious tones and images vs. the "zoom zoom zoom" ads like Mazda puts out. --->Ford. Or the gay soccer playing Cobalt commericals --->Chevy.

P.S. I haven't seen a Cobalt on the road yet. Are they out yet or are they just not selling? I haven't seen an Aveo either.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by technical
Too little...Too late.

GM needs to get people excited about their cars vs. trying to sell more of the same stuff. I think the well has run dry in the design department.

They need a new design for their trucks. Everyone has updated their trucks except GM. Fascia changes don't count. We F-body guys know that too well. Who wants to buy a +10 year old design. Get with it GM... Build some cars that will compete. Fire your marketing department. Get serious and more mature with the advertising.

Compare a GM or Ford TV commercial with a BMW, Audi, Acura, Honda, Toyota. Notice how the competition is more focused on the ads. Serious tones and images vs. the "zoom zoom zoom" ads like Mazda puts out. --->Ford. Or the gay soccer playing Cobalt commericals --->Chevy.

P.S. I haven't seen a Cobalt on the road yet. Are they out yet or are they just not selling? I haven't seen an Aveo either.
i thought the cobalt was upposed to be out in fall but i saw a brandnew stock one at the track. ran 14.8 spinning, i thought it wasa nice lil car...
Old 05-12-2005, 03:18 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by 8KickassRS9
i thought the cobalt was upposed to be out in fall but i saw a brandnew stock one at the track. ran 14.8 spinning, i thought it wasa nice lil car...

They are out. So are the disgusting aveos.

Tech. Do not get me wrong, my 2nd comment in this thread does not mean that they should rest on their laurels (which they've been doing). The chassis need a desperate overhaul, which they are getting (trucks that is) but unless they can keep up and surprass the imports, they'll lose the advantage they have, well seemingly have, right now to them. It's bad enough that the new truck projects were pushed up, which means that initial build quality will be compromised and GM will be right back in the same boat they already are. They definate need some quick hits, which they have or need to market effectively they have. They have also got to get a handle on their costs and quality and stop these damned rebates to get competitive again. Of course this ^ is somewhat perceived and somewhat true. I think in the 7~10 yr. long run, if GM wants to be the world leader again, they need to be a Six Sigma company.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:17 PM
11 Second Club

I think the new Trailblazer should do well.. But is the demand for these silverado's really out there? I mean if there are already some left, what good is making more going to do?

Josh
Old 05-12-2005, 07:51 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by distortion_69
I think the new Trailblazer should do well.. But is the demand for these silverado's really out there? I mean if there are already some left, what good is making more going to do?

Josh

Exactly. And I don't think these trailblazers are selling exactly like hot cakes either, but maybe the SS one will. Problem is cost.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

I beileve the Trailblazers sales were down significantly in the first quarter, read that somewhere. Gas prices are killing the sales of these guzzlers.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:30 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by technical
I beileve the Trailblazers sales were down significantly in the first quarter, read that somewhere. Gas prices are killing the sales of these guzzlers.

Yep, yet they pressed on with the LS2 SS version.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:53 PM
11 Second Club

Honestly the LS2 trailblazer really appeals to me, and I think should sell well for those who want to show off, and usually would be the ones with 24's on their SUV and trying to show off their escalades, etc... Unfortunately for GM, that amount of people is probably a small amount of your typical practical car buyer.

Josh
Old 05-13-2005, 07:14 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by distortion_69
Unfortunately for GM, that amount of people is probably a small amount of your typical practical car buyer.

Josh

There you go. Ya got it! Shows they are good at nothing but wasting resources.

Another new thread here in a few minutes and it is NOT good news.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:51 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sb427f-car
Goes to show that GM management is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY out of touch. I know a lot of us have said this in the past, but this, I think, shows they are more out of touch at a level that many of us had't even speculated.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosins...A01-179537.htm
They're a business. They have to build what is selling while it's hot. Take a look around the next time you're out on the road, but keep one eye on the road Trucks are everywhere!

Plus that's good news for my state. The Fort Wayne, IN plant is one of the four mentioned.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DAILY GM NEWS: 4 Truck Plants to Shift into OT