Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

C6 ZO6 pricing released...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 02:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C6 ZO6 pricing released...

Courtesy of Mr Conti over at DC:

Last edited by Fulton 1; 06-14-2005 at 07:43 AM.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If thats correct then thats not THAT bad..... the average 427 alone costs almost as much as this car is over the base C6........
Thats just my .02 though
Kyle
Old 06-13-2005, 02:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Where did I put that lottery ticket.....
Old 06-13-2005, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

damnit you beat me to it lol
Old 06-13-2005, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow.. nice options .. me likey.

everything except the run crap tire part.. can't believe their putting a super wide (looks like 335 version of that) tire on the z06
Old 06-13-2005, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

Too much for a Chevy IMO. Give it a few years and there will be some great used bargains out there.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Shinkaze
Too much for a Chevy IMO. Give it a few years and there will be some great used bargains out there.
Feel the same way about the Viper and GT?
Old 06-13-2005, 06:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TriShield
Feel the same way about the Viper and GT?
Yes, but not as strongly. The Viper and GT don't have sub-$50K Base models.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:51 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...&postid=433483

Originally posted by CorvetteConti
HEARD FIRST (again!) ON DIGITALCORVETTES.COM!
0-60 time 3.7 seconds!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks everyone

You guys where here for the second by second and minute by minute posting as the data came in from GM....
Now enjoy the next page of the Corvette Value Story!

PLEASE NOTE: THE 2LZ COMES WITH THE US9 RADIO - THE $1740 CHARGE IS IF YOU ORDER THE 1LZ PKG AND UPGARDE THAT RADIO....
U3U IS NOT AVAILABLE ON 1LZ...

So what do you think?
REAL QUICK,
I wanted to edit this post and thank everyone for all the awesome comments and feedback (very cool)- they mean more than you know - as long as you have the right infomration and I can be a part of it some way some how, I'm glad.
I do get jammed up sometimes and hate to miss anything, but your continued support is incredible and I enjoy doing what I can for DC members.
Enjoy this forum and enjoy Your Corvette!

Chevy announces Corvette Z06 0-60 mph time and base price

The ultimate Corvette—the 2006 Corvette Z06—is posting numbers at the track and on the window sticker that will get attention. Chevrolet has announced that the fastest Corvette ever—the 505-horsepower Corvette Z06—will achieve 0-60 mph in 3.7 seconds while still in first gear, and pricing will start at $65,800, including destination and freight charges.

“Corvette is a global icon for world-class sports car performance at an incredible value, and offering the fastest production Corvette ever at this price is another testament to that reputation,” said Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager. “When you compare the Corvette Z06 performance stats to other supercars, you see numerous examples where you’re getting better performance with Corvette for one-third the sticker price of the competition.”

Developed alongside the Corvette C6.R race car, the Corvette Z06 uses advanced lightweight materials typically found only in the most exotic supercars. Use of weight-saving materials such as carbon fiber, aluminum, titanium and magnesium give the 3,132-pound car a highly competitive weight-to-power ratio of 6.2 pounds per horsepower.

“The new Corvette Z06 is the dividend from competing so successfully in endurance racing,” said Dave Hill, Corvette’s chief engineer. “It combines the strong attributes of the new, sixth-generation Corvette with the spirit, technology and know-how from the race program to form an American supercar with outstanding credentials.” The highly anticipated Corvette Z06, which will be available in the fourth quarter of 2005, completes the sixth-generation portfolio, which also includes the 400-hp Corvette coupe and convertible.

Previous Corvette Z06 models, from the original 1963 model to the 2001-04 editions, incorporated suspension and engine upgrades that complemented existing Corvette systems. The 2006 Corvette Z06 is more differentiated from the standard Corvette than any other Z06 in history with every design element serving a performance function. Corvette Z06 features include:

• LS7 7.0-liter/427-cubic-inch Gen IV V-8 engine with lightweight reciprocating components

• 505 horsepower (373 kw) @ 6300 rpm

• 470 lb.-ft. of torque (657 Nm) @ 4800 rpm

• 6-speed manual transmission

• 7000 rpm redline

• Aluminum body structure with one-piece hydroformed perimeter rails frame and magnesium engine cradle

• Carbon-fiber composite front fenders, front wheelhouses and floors

• Dry-sump engine lubrication system

• Hand-built engine at GM’s new Performance Build Center

• Unique design styling that includes a larger grille, cold-air scoop and lower air splitter, wide-body front and rear fenders and a taller rear spoiler

• Engine, transmission and differential oil coolers and steering cooler

For all its race-inspired functionality, the Corvette Z06 also is designed to be refined as a daily driver with a sophisticated and comfortable interior and generous cargo volume. The Z06 will be offered in Machine Silver Metallic, Victory Red, Daytona Sunset Orange, Le Mans Blue Metallic, Velocity Yellow tintcoat and Black exterior colors.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:39 PM
8 Sec Tuner

Not too bad as far as cost! I want one!
Old 06-14-2005, 07:48 AM
TECH Junkie

I think you're getting a LOT for the money. I certainly won't be buying the first MY and if I wasn't on good terms with my local Chevy dealer I would be wary of dealer service (although I rarely use the dealer for anything other than warranty work anyway - as I assume is true for most of us here), but beyond that I think the price is right. I think $70k+ would have been too much for a base car and the sub-$60k estimates were just unrealistic for what you're getting. With the hardware and engineering that went into this car its going to be a VERY difficult package to beat for anywhere near the money, Chevy or not.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:32 AM
TECH Addict

Let's just hope it doesn't share the same fate as the ZR-1.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by technical
Let's just hope it doesn't share the same fate as the ZR-1.
I'm sure they'll sell everyone they make this year, but at that price point I think it is possible it could suffer a ZR1 fate.

Would you pay $60K for a Hyper-Camaro that outperformed a C6-Z06 Vette? I wouldn't, and I love the Camaro. I'm not much for Saleens either, though I respect and admire them. Maybe I'm a snob, but I would feel more comfortable paying $100K for a GT3 911 than $75K for a Loaded Vette. Dunno. Maybe if I had more money in the bank account the price wouldn't matter so much to me.

-Adam
Old 06-14-2005, 10:23 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think that price point will make the car very competetively priced. I think GM will sell a ton of them...
Old 06-14-2005, 11:41 AM
LEO
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$65,000 is a very reasonable price for the Z06. You can't touch this type of performance or technology for less then $85,000 and if it weren't for the Viper, you'd be looking at $130,000 for the 911 TT. Sure not everyone can afford this car, but that can be said of all luxury items. I think GM will do well with the new Z06.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:08 PM
Teching In

So far, this is the car for less than 100K dollar range.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe I'm a snob, but I would feel more comfortable paying $100K for a GT3 911 than $75K for a Loaded Vette.

Your bringing up a valid point, for the average high end buyer "bang for the buck," may not be that large of a factor as status. How ever for the performance you get the car is still a steal, we'll see it could go either direction the ZR1 was a great performer, and perhaps worth the price for all you got but that didnt save it.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

I think the biggest reason the ZR-1 didn't sell well was the price per "stuff" ratio. The ZR-1 was basically a C4 with some small cosmetic enhancements and a wild engine. Not really enough to justify the extra cost vs the base model. The new Z06 is much more *car* than the base vette. Different chassis (Al), engine, cosmetics, etc. It's basically a complete package which is a big step up from the base. The performance numbers are huge vs. just a few more ponies up from base. Vette enthusiasts can look at the C6 Z06 and "see" the C5R or at least be reminded of the race version. The price seems more reasonable for what you're getting vs. the ZR-1, but ya never really know what the buying public will do.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by technical
I think the biggest reason the ZR-1 didn't sell well was the price per "stuff" ratio. The ZR-1 was basically a C4 with some small cosmetic enhancements and a wild engine. Not really enough to justify the extra cost vs the base model. The new Z06 is much more *car* than the base vette. Different chassis (Al), engine, cosmetics, etc. It's basically a complete package which is a big step up from the base. The performance numbers are huge vs. just a few more ponies up from base. Vette enthusiasts can look at the C6 Z06 and "see" the C5R or at least be reminded of the race version. The price seems more reasonable for what you're getting vs. the ZR-1, but ya never really know what the buying public will do.
The ZR1 was very subtle in terms of cosmetics, but I would argue it was more different than the C4 of the day. It was a wide body, had different rims and tires (though styled too look similar), had an entirely different architecture for the motor, different suspension, etc.

The New Z06 has more styling differentialtion, the engine is the same architecture, but the frame being aluminum is a big plus, as is the Carbon body panels.

I think the failure of the ZR1 was that it was the cost of a Coupe+Convertible=ZR-1 price. conversly the new Z06 is only ~40% more than a coupe. (instead of > twice as much). I think it will sell well for a couple of years, and I do think it's a fair price. just as I think Saleen charges a fair price for it's cars and finds a market for them. Though, personally, at the price of a Saleen I would personally take a lower performance Vette. Just my two cents I guess.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

The ZR-1's suspension was as much of an upgrade as an 03 Z06 was above the base C5. I don't remember the wide body part. But basically the added $$$$ was the engine. I worked on a few ZR-1's and with the exception of the wild engine it wasn't anything to talk about. There is definitely more buzz around this car vs. the ZR-1. Especially since it doesn't have a Lotus/Mercury engine.

Quick Reply: C6 ZO6 pricing released...