Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 05:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up Dodge Resurrects the Challenger to Reignite the Pony Car Wars

Likely Challenger: Dodge prepping a rear-drive coupe to take on Ford's Mustang

RICK KRANZ | Automotive News
Posted Date: 6/13/05

DETROIT -- Watch out, Ford Mustang. Dodge is preparing a challenger. In fact, it's likely to be called Challenger.

Chrysler plans to resurrect a respected name from the pony car era for a rear-wheel-drive Mustang fighter, industry sources say. The car is expected in 2009 on the LX platform, the basis of the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Magnum and Charger.

"It is a two-door, essentially a competitor for the Mustang," says Catherine Madden, a production analyst for industry research group Global Insight. "They are really excited about it."

Madden says the sport coupe is planned to debut in 2009, when the next-generation LX vehicles are scheduled to be re-engineered and restyled.

"They would be able to make some additional investment in the platform, make some adjustments for that product" at that time, she says.

"The enthusiasm for that product," Madden says, is "very big."

Chrysler hopes to sell 60,000 to 70,000 of the cars a year, she says. An assembly site was not identified. Production of the 300, Magnum and recently introduced Charger is expected to fill Chrysler's Brampton, Ontario, assembly plant.

Chrysler officials are not talking about the car, but industry analysts say they are familiar with the plans.

Jim Hall, vice president of industry analysis at AutoPacific Inc., says he isn't sure Chrysler can pull it off. "They have a lot of stuff that has to be cleared off the table before they start playing around with that car," he says.

The redesigned 2005 Mustang has exceeded initial sales estimates. Ford expects to build 192,000 Mustangs this year, and most retail units are selling at a price near the sticker.

The 1970-74 Challenger was Dodge's answer to the original Mustang, as well as the Chevrolet Camaro, Pontiac Firebird, Mercury Cougar and AMC Javelin.

And, yes, the original Challenger had a Hemi V-8.

Old 06-13-2005, 06:20 PM
TECH Junkie

This is good news. Perhaps GM can un-**** themselves long enough to join the party.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by GoldenVelvet
This is good news. Perhaps GM can un-**** themselves long enough to join the party.
The pony segment could get a little crowded if they're any later to the party than 2009. Chrysler and GM would have to wittle away portions of the Mustang's sales to make it worthwhile to stay. I'm excited to see what Chrysler can come up with, especially on a redesigned-LX structure.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GoldenVelvet
That's what I keep saying...
Old 06-13-2005, 08:34 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome I knew it was only a matter of time until we heard about the Challenger. This is the car that will pull me away from the Camaro if it's done right. My favorite car of the pony/muscle car era is the 70/71 Challenger... I'm very excited
Old 06-13-2005, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

If only they offer it with a manual......which they wont. If only they make it look s good as the original Challenger.... which they wont.

Damn I'm jaded..... I miss `da Birds.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:52 PM
TECH Resident

E-Bodies were just plain sexy. If this car does get built man times will be exciting. A Challenger SRT-8 with the 6.1L Hemi and a 6 speed would be awesome.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Shinkaze
If only they offer it with a manual......which they wont. If only they make it look s good as the original Challenger.... which they wont.

Damn I'm jaded..... I miss `da Birds.
I dono. The dodge boys have been doing a lot of stuff right these days... . . .
Old 06-14-2005, 01:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Gm better hurry up!!!
Old 06-14-2005, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TriShield
The pony segment could get a little crowded if they're any later to the party than 2009. Chrysler and GM would have to wittle away portions of the Mustang's sales to make it worthwhile to stay. I'm excited to see what Chrysler can come up with, especially on a redesigned-LX structure.
the challenger isn't even gonna be released until 2009(as a 2010)......i wonder why dcx is waiting so long? they keep talking about how they can design a vehicle from the ground up in less than a year(like the me-12), but they put a car on an already designed platform(ableit modified) with a current engine and it's gonna be another 4 years? i guess i could think of reasons, none of them make too much sense, unless they are throwing this out there to buy time with all the "we want two doors" folks
Old 06-14-2005, 08:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sweeeetttttttttttttttt ! I can't wait to see what it will look like !
Old 06-14-2005, 12:05 PM
Teching In

You are looking at a shortened redesign LX platform to accommodate more performance factor. Hemi engines will be updated before then.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first car was a 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T - 383, auto, B5 blue, cragers, 3.91 gears. I loved that car!!! Dumb, dumb, dumb move to sell it!! Augh!!! I would love to see what they are going to look like. Since I can't quite afford a new Corvette or Z06, maybe this will be the replacement for the Trans Am. But, it better have a manual transmission!!! The Charger SRT-8 in black looks cool. But, it's still a four door and HEAVY. I love the 6.1 Hemi motor, so hopefully a new Challenger will be light, have a manual transmission, and the 6.1 HEMI!
Old 06-14-2005, 03:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jdustu
they put a car on an already designed platform(ableit modified) with a current engine and it's gonna be another 4 years?
It won't be on the current LX platform, it will be on the next LX platform. The Hemis will probably be redesigned or tweaked by then as well. The 300, Charger and Magnum will all be redesigned by then as well.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

The car is expected in 2009 on the LX platform, the basis of the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Magnum and Charger.

"It is a two-door, essentially a competitor for the Mustang," says Catherine Madden, a production analyst for industry research group Global Insight. "They are really excited about it."

Madden says the sport coupe is planned to debut in 2009, when the next-generation LX vehicles are scheduled to be re-engineered and restyled.
So if it is based on the LX platform, will it be the same size as the 300/Charger only 2 doors? Or will it be a shortened platform? A 2 door 300- sized coupe is nice, but its not a Mustang fighter, its a GTO fighter.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Story I did on the Dodge Charger

http://popularhotrodding.com/features/0506phr_dodg/

We have a new story in the October issue where we flog one on the track.. pretty good for such a big car..

I don't think I would call it a "pony car" though.. if they made a 2 door one or a manual trans I would be all over it
Old 06-15-2005, 03:02 PM
Teching In

Challenger will be a pony car size.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:40 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve1969LS1
Story I did on the Dodge Charger

http://popularhotrodding.com/features/0506phr_dodg/

We have a new story in the October issue where we flog one on the track.. pretty good for such a big car..

I don't think I would call it a "pony car" though.. if they made a 2 door one or a manual trans I would be all over it
If they want to keep it in line with its heritage and give the Mustang a run, it'll be a pony car.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:39 AM
TECH Regular

Hopefully it'll look good, I am not to fond of the oversize car trend that has been going on lately, It is time that there is a new pony car to compete with the mustangs, that hemi as it is now is not in the right type of car yet but hopefully.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

It won't be on the current LX platform, it will be on the next LX platform. The Hemis will probably be redesigned or tweaked by then as well. The 300, Charger and Magnum will all be redesigned by then as well.
yeah, i get that, my point was that if there is a time to do it, it's now, not in 4 years....they have emphasized over the last few years how quickly something can come to the market if there is a desire for it, yet they announce a 2 door hemi car with a due date of 2009? assuming the announcement was for a soon to be built car, someone had posted that chevy will miss the boat if they wait till 2009, when in actuality they'd be on the same timeline as dcx. chrysler is buying time from the folks who want a two door hemi by coming out so far in advance. between now and 2009 a whole lot could happen....

Quick Reply: Dodge Resurrects the Challenger to Reignite the Pony Car Wars