Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Not To Be Outdone By Ferrari, Porsche Or It's Baby Brother: Meet The Murcielago LP640

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not To Be Outdone By Ferrari, Porsche Or It's Baby Brother: Meet The Murcielago LP640

http://www.topgear.com/content/news/stories/541/

That's right. Everybody has been talking about how the Murcielago's 580hp 6.2L V12 was in danger of being eclipsed by baby brother Gallardo's recently updated 5.0L V10 (up 20hp for a total of 513) and it's lower curb weight. Well Lamborghini has gone and released the Murcielago LP640 that cranks out 631hp from .3L more displacement (for a total engine displacement of 6.5L). Cermaic brakes which are the current stopping fad are an option and the car gets suspension tweaks all around. With these upgrades, the Murc need not worry too much about Ferrari's upcoming 575M replacement the 599 Gran Turismo Berlinetta (GTB).

However at the same time, the LP640 seems to support the idea that Lamborghini will not build a modern day Miura. The Miura concept which was shown at Detroit this year was to be a 700hp Lamborghini flagship however with the success of the Murc and Gallardo, Lamborghini stated a few weeks after the show that it was already at full capacity leaving no room for an additional model. Then there were rumors that perhaps Lamborghini might be building a 21st century Miura based on the concept afterall after a warm public reaction to the show car. Well with the LP640 only 70hp shy of the 700mark, I doubt the Miura will see the light of day.

This is just my opinion though. The Miura was supposedly to be RWD only and a dimensionally smaller car (both to save weight) so perhaps Lamborghini does have a retro trick up it's sleeve and in the pipeline, who knows? I know the main reason for the LP640 was to put some distance between the Murc and the Gallardo, but as the same time the chances of the Miura making it to showrooms just got smaller.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:13 PM
TECH Regular

OMG. That Lambo looks gorgeous!!! I love high end cars with black wheels. It looks absolutely sick.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

IMO, Audi has done a great job managing this brand. I've read somewhere Lambo is considering making a 21st cen. LM002 offroader/SUV.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:04 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Beautiful car

Quick Reply: Not To Be Outdone By Ferrari, Porsche Or It's Baby Brother: Meet The Murcielago LP640