Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

200hp 2.0L Turbo 4 Not Enough For You: Meet The GTI's Big Brother a.k.a. R32

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 02:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 200hp 2.0L Turbo 4 Not Enough For You: Meet The GTI's Big Brother a.k.a. R32

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...024/LATESTNEWS

Already a hit in Europe and formerly a hit here in the states in Mark IV form, the new Mark V R32 will in fact come to America. What you need to know:

250hp 3.2L VR6
4 Motion AWD
6 speed DSG gearbox

Unfortunately unlike the Mark IV R32 and the Mark V turbo 4 GTI, the Mark V R32 is not available with a tradition manual transmission. This seems to be the only thing missing from the Mark V R32. There are also rumors of a more powerful R36 that would be powered by the 3.6L iteration of VW's VR6 that debuted in the recently updated Passat. That engine is rated at 280hp with room for more power if there is a need for it. That car would also get 4 motion AWD and the same twin clutch DSG gearbox.

On a side note, if case you haven't heard all non GTI and non R32 Golfs will be badged as VW Rabbits here in the US and Canada. For some reason VW has decided to go and resurrect the moniker here in the states and replace the Golf name with one that many people these days might not even remember.

Old 06-23-2006, 07:10 AM
On The Tree

LACROSSE SS?
About this time next year, Buick will roll out a more powerful LaCrosse dubbed Super. The four-door, front-drive midsize sedan will be powered by the same 5.3-liter, 303-hp V8 found in the Chevrolet Impala SS. The Super features a bolder version of the signature Buick grille and a larger, chrome-trimmed rear bumper along with a more luxurious interior. Other upgrades include standard 18-inch alloy wheels, four-wheel ventilated disc brakes and MagneRide suspension. GM says 0 to 60 mph will be less than 6.0 seconds <-- they really need to stop this and work the kinks out of the new Camaro

ON TOPIC nice looking car I'm sure it will have a 35k+ price tag..
Old 06-23-2006, 08:34 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by V6Owner
LACROSSE SS?
About this time next year, Buick will roll out a more powerful LaCrosse dubbed Super. The four-door, front-drive midsize sedan will be powered by the same 5.3-liter, 303-hp V8 found in the Chevrolet Impala SS. The Super features a bolder version of the signature Buick grille and a larger, chrome-trimmed rear bumper along with a more luxurious interior. Other upgrades include standard 18-inch alloy wheels, four-wheel ventilated disc brakes and MagneRide suspension. GM says 0 to 60 mph will be less than 6.0 seconds <-- they really need to stop this and work the kinks out of the new Camaro

ON TOPIC nice looking car I'm sure it will have a 35k+ price tag..
Definately not my cup of tea for 35k.

Again, my question is...where is GM with a car like this that they could rally?!?!? I mean, that's basically what this vehicle is set up to do (though it doesn't meet WRC rules because it's not a 2.0 4 banger).

Ford has their Focus GT over seas with the I6 turbo out of a volvo, 6spd, and AWD. I tell ya what...turn GM over to some of us here and we'd have it back to world domaniance again and turning some 50~60 dollars a share in about 5~6 years (or a product life cycle).
Old 06-23-2006, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sb427f-car

Again, my question is...where is GM with a car like this that they could rally?!?!? I mean, that's basically what this vehicle is set up to do (though it doesn't meet WRC rules because it's not a 2.0 4 banger).

Ford has their Focus GT over seas with the I6 turbo out of a volvo, 6spd, and AWD. I tell ya what...turn GM over to some of us here and we'd have it back to world domaniance again and turning some 50~60 dollars a share in about 5~6 years (or a product life cycle).
I'm guessing sky redline and solstice GXP? or do you mean hatchback type cars?
Old 06-23-2006, 12:15 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by V6Owner
I'm guessing sky redline and solstice GXP? or do you mean hatchback type cars?
Well...yeah, those cars fit the bill as far as something fun to drive, but they are more along the lines of a miata. Put an AWD under a cobalt or an ion and take them rallying. I mean, you have mitsu and subaru, as well as toyota and ford rallying, so, you do the math (mitsu and subaru do it with sedans, toyota and ford with a hatch).

The solstice, while a nice looking car, is entirely too small for me (6'1" 235+).

It doesn't nessecarily have to be a hatch and the cobalt and ion are already in the category. Sorry, it was more of a frustration rant.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can think of hundreds of other cars out there that are much more worth the $35K price tag of that VW. It's a nice car (although the complete opposite of my cup of tea) and would make a Hell of a lot more sense as a $25K car. VW's are just beyond overpriced for what they are.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

That car is just way too much for way too little. It runs mid to low 14s and looks like a Mazda 3. The Mark IV R32 looked cooler IMO.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

Well...yeah, those cars fit the bill as far as something fun to drive, but they are more along the lines of a miata. Put an AWD under a cobalt or an ion and take them rallying. I mean, you have mitsu and subaru, as well as toyota and ford rallying, so, you do the math (mitsu and subaru do it with sedans, toyota and ford with a hatch).

The solstice, while a nice looking car, is entirely too small for me (6'1" 235+).

It doesn't nessecarily have to be a hatch and the cobalt and ion are already in the category. Sorry, it was more of a frustration rant.
Ok got ya! Has GM ever produced a AWD sporty type of car?

The market is there not sure what they are not jumping on the band wagon especially with F & F 3 hitting the movie theatre's even though it has to deal with drifting but then again ricers think anything is capable with enough stickers and big enough wing!

and I'm 6'3 230 I can fit in the solstice comfortably but it would have to be top down only! with the top up I can not see a damn thing!
Old 06-23-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Addict

I knida like em'. Really nice interior and exterior looks and quality. I hope for the sake of the to be owners that they are lighter than the previous gens, top weight of 3700lbs.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:21 PM
TECH Resident

There is no Focus GT nor is there an inline 6 powered version of the car. Ford had planned a 300+hp inline 6 powered Focus but it got canned. The most powerful Focus you can buy in Europe is the 2.5L turbo inline 5 powered Focus ST that cranks out 220hp.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:05 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by bruddah_man_matt
There is no Focus GT nor is there an inline 6 powered version of the car. Ford had planned a 300+hp inline 6 powered Focus but it got canned. The most powerful Focus you can buy in Europe is the 2.5L turbo inline 5 powered Focus ST that cranks out 220hp.
I was refering to the proposed variant of it. No reason that GM couldn't do something like that and revisit the days of the GNX ideas.

Face it...overall powertrains (not the craptastic electrical componets), no one can really touch GM.

Quick Reply: 200hp 2.0L Turbo 4 Not Enough For You: Meet The GTI's Big Brother a.k.a. R32