Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

California Crackdown on Modified Cars

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California Crackdown on Modified Cars

California Crackdown on Modified Cars
$5 million in federal money will fund a Sacramento, California effort to stop drivers in modified cars.

Police in Sacramento, California announced Wednesday that they would use $5 million in federal money to begin cracking down on auto enthusiasts who modify their vehicles. The money will be used to form an undercover "Drag-Net" unit to stop motorists who appear to be driving modified cars.

The concept, which originated in San Diego in 2001, has been spreading throughout the state and generated significant revenue for the California Highway Patrol and local departments. In Santa Fe Springs, for example, twelve officers on Drag-Net duty issued 300 citations and impounded 50 vehicles in just one weekend. Several cities have drag-racing ordinances that allow police to auction off seized cars and keep the profits.

Under Drag-Net, San Diego officers come to train other departments how to look out for what they believe to be tell-tale signs of illegal modification such as window tinting, large spoilers, extra gauges or racing stickers. Police say this gives them probable cause to stop and inspect a vehicle and its engine compartment.

In practice, "excessive exaust noise" tickets are the most common violation. California law does not require police to measure sound levels objectively. Instead, according to the Calfiornia Highway Patrol, the "citation is based on officer's judgment."

Drivers of stock vehicles that come from the factory with some of the characteristics of modified cars have experienced harassment under this provision. One such motorist complained on an enthusiast website that the Calfiornia Highway Patrol was using these programs to make "driving while Asian" a crime, pointing out that the department's own website has several pages dedicated to Asian involvement in street racing and "vehicle modification."

Anyone receiving a vehicle modification "fix-it" ticket must visit a California Bureau of Automobile Repair office and pay a $35 fee to have their car inspected. If the car fails, a judge can impose another fine of up to $2000 for failing to meet California emissions requirements.

Article Excerpt:
"We're looking to make a heavy impact on speeding and street racing in this area," Sacramento Police Deputy Chief Steve Segura said during a press conference with local and state officials on Del Paso Road in North Natomas.
Source: Area law enforcers to receive training to combat street racing (Sacramento Bee, 8/4/2005)

Though this is old news check out the new method http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070620/...hed_hot_rods_1

Last edited by Promise517; 06-21-2007 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:52 PM
On The Tree

Hey but the money can never be spent to run an ad campaign for the local drag strip to get people racing in a controlled environment. Or use the money to build more raceways to be able to take our cars to, that would be too hard I guess.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:56 PM
10 Second Club

California Sucks! I can't wait to leave this state.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by BeemerZ28
Hey but the money can never be spent to run an ad campaign for the local drag strip to get people racing in a controlled environment. Or use the money to build more raceways to be able to take our cars to, that would be too hard I guess.
You know their main focus is $$$$$ not, how do we solve the real problem which is lets give them a safe place to do this in.. Butt holes
Old 06-21-2007, 03:25 PM
10 Second Club

California Sucks.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:48 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And then they are closing another dragstrip in Palmdale..azzholes, no wonder there is so much street racing
Old 06-21-2007, 04:27 PM
TECH Junkie

thank god I live in TEXAS
Old 06-21-2007, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

Did anyone else notice the date? That was like 2 years ago.........2005!!

Yeah NooB gotta kinda check things like that.
Originally Posted by Promise517
(Sacramento Bee, 8/4/2005)

Last edited by djsanchez2; 06-21-2007 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everytime I hear the word California and Car in the same sentence I know something bad is coming. Surprised there is anything other than Prius that is legal to drive there.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by djsanchez2

I was about to say,"this isn't someone reposting that video from like two years ago again..."
Old 06-21-2007, 06:36 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

I'll say the same thing I said when this article was first posted two years ago ( ), CA is dead to me. I don't even consider it part of the USA anymore for multiple reasons (gun and car laws). I feel sorry for the people in that state that are actually decent, freedom loving Americans who just can't leave the state for whatever reason.

The CA government is about as useful as a rubber crutch. I wish their officials nothing but the worst.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

those laws and firearm control laws are 2 of the reasons i chose to move to texas.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

There's gotta be someone petitioning against this.....?
Old 06-21-2007, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1996Formula
those laws and firearm control laws are 2 of the reasons i chose to move to texas.
That's right! Texas>The rest of the USA
Old 06-21-2007, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by djsanchez2

My bad I had the wrong link..lol. It was this story http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070620/...hed_hot_rods_1
that went with what started back then.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Hydramatic
That's right! Texas>The rest of the USA
you got that straight!!!
Old 06-21-2007, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

**** cali, hide your ****, use an eletric cutout or just move. I say move.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Does the word "fascism" ring a bell to anyone? I thought we defeated fascism in 1944?
Old 06-22-2007, 06:39 AM

*Dude you think we have it bad check out our neighbor.*
Now this is BS!

Attorney general says he can seize street-racing cars without laying charges

Michael Oliveira, Canadian Press
Published: Thursday, June 21, 2007 Article tools

TORONTO (CP) - The government has the power to seize and destroy cars that have been adapted for street racing, and can do so before a race takes place or any charges are laid, Ontario Attorney General Michael Bryant said Wednesday.

Car junkies who pour thousands of dollars into their vehicles to make them as fast as possible are wasting their money, Bryant said. He warned potential racers that all it takes is a tip from police to seize and destroy their cars.

"If we can establish someone has parts and they're juicing up their car - obviously for the purpose of street racing - then we can seize those vehicles," Bryant said.

"We will seize it and you will never see it again. We will crush your car, we will crush the parts."

Bryant said cars built for street racing are as dangerous as explosives and can cause catastrophic damage.

On Monday, a truck driver was killed after a crash on Highway 400 that was blamed on speed and dangerous driving.

Prabhjit Multani, 20, and Nauman Nusrat, 19, face charges including dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death, criminal negligence causing death and criminal negligence causing death by street racing.

Ravi Badhwar, 20, has been charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle.

"This was a senseless act that cost a man his life and has left his family without a father, brother and grandfather," Ontario Provincial Police Commissioner Julian Fantino said in a release.

"There is no excuse for street racing and aggressive driving, such as the high speeds and unsafe lane changes we have seen recently."

The crash was the third major accident in four days on the busy north-south highway, and the second fatal one.

Bryant said the government has had enough of street racers, and will have no qualms about destroying their cars.

"We don't need to wait until that car hits the road fully loaded," he said.

Bryant also said the Crown has not yet decided whether to appeal the sentences of two young Toronto men who pleaded guilty to dangerous driving causing death after a taxi driver was killed in a crash.

****-Piao Dumani Ross and Alexander Ryazanov, both 20, were each handed two-year conditional sentences and two years of probation for their role in the January 2006 crash.

Their lawyers said they weren't racing, although their speeding did constitute dangerous driving.

© The Canadian Press 2007
Old 06-22-2007, 09:15 AM
TECH Junkie

"Well it's not "ban" but it's going to cost a minimum of 1250$ if you have a powerfull bike (powerfull is anything 400cc and over) plus 450$ if you have lost point on the road plus 500$ if you lost your license in the pas 5 years plus 75$ if you don't have enough experience. That's just to have the right to put a plate on one bike per year, if you have more than one bike like I do, you have to pay that on every bike. The license cost 150$ per year and I'm not talking about insurance.

The government say it's still going to be a bargain because most young rider in north america pay 13k$ per summer for insurance alone.

By the way this is Quebec Canada."
Posted on bike forum from a guy from Quebec.

Quick Reply: California Crackdown on Modified Cars