Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Road and Tracks GTR Release

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 05:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Road and Tracks GTR Release

Road & Track release:

"This is it! The most anticipated sports car in the U.S., the Nissan GT-R, has been revealed. Nissan didn't want anyone to see its prize sports coupe until the official debut at the Tokyo Motor Show next week, but security leaks on the Internet have forced the issue. So what you see here is the full, undisguised GT-R in all its glory. As you can see, things haven't changed too much from the original GT-R Concept that was presented at the Tokyo Motor Show two years ago.

The most notable modification is to the face. Gone is the "running mascara" beneath the headlights, replaced by a body-colored bumper, which makes the face look much cleaner and more elegant. Some say the car looks like an F-18 fighter jet on wheels while others feel that it belongs on the set of Transformers. Either way, the styling speaks volumes of what this car is capable of on the open road.

Under the hood is a 3.8-liter twin-turbo V-6 that pumps out a whopping 480 bhp. This puts the GT-R right up there in the power department with the heralded Porsche 911 Turbo. And it's going to be half the price. We expect a 0–60-mph time of 3.5 seconds and a quarter-mile in under 12 seconds. The Nissan will handle well too, thanks to ATTESA-ETS all-wheel drive and fat Bridgestone tires. Expect the 2009 Nissan GT-R to make its debut next summer at a very reasonable price of $70,000."

And from Motor Trend today:
http://www.motortrend.com/future/spi...08_nissan_gt_r

"Faster than a 911 Turbo, possibly cheaper than a Z06. And now, according to our sources at the scene, Nissan has recorded a stunning seven-minute/35-second lap around the Nurburgring's Nordschleife with a stock 480-horsepower GT-R.

Among production road cars, that's quicker than a Porsche 996 GT2 and Corvette Z06 (both 7:42). It's not as quick as a Koenigsegg CCR, Pagani Zonda F, Porsche 997 GT2, or Porsche Carrera GT, the top four quickest cars around the Green Hell. But, as we went to press, Nissan was working on possibly tackling the record again."
Old 10-17-2007, 06:03 PM
Launching!

Old 10-17-2007, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

What tranny does it have? And since when was the GTR "THE MOST ANTICIPATED RELEASE"?? Maybe to fanboys.

Looks nice though, and i'm sure it has a ****-ton of potential too. I ike the leather trim everywhere, very cleanly done. The interior as a whole does not seem to be overdone either. Nice and clean.

The exterior looks mean!! Looks like i'm going to have to be ready to kick some *** w/ my 5th gen.

Only thing i don't like is the front kinda looks like a smooshed EVO X
Old 10-17-2007, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am sure it is a very nice car, but ugly.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Awesome vehicle...but the exterior is entirely too busy for me. I like simple lines. The simple plastic wedge works fine for me.

W
Old 10-17-2007, 06:53 PM
14 Second Truck Club

I am paying very little attention to these "releases". One day it is $70k, the next it is $85k+. Also a production car has not sees a race track yet.

I am looking forward to seeing what an actual production car does though, and what the final price is. It looks like a riced out 350Z to me. Keep it simple IMO.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:02 PM
Launching!

"The multifunction display can be used to monitor engine coolant temperature, oil temperature, oil pressure, transmission oil pressure, turbocharger boost pressure, torque split, throttle position, steering angle and longitudinal and lateral G-force. The display is also a data logger that can be used to improve driving technique and can display an optimal gearshift map for drivers obsessed with fuel economy. And, really, who would buy this car if they weren't determined to eke out the most mileage from every drop of gasoline?

Of course there's a satellite-based navigation system, while the onboard entertainment system can play every sort of media except maybe Beta video and eight-track audio tapes."

"Each intercooled, twin-turbo VR38 V6 will be hand-assembled by one of 12 technicians for installation in the GT-R. As the name implies, the VR38 displaces 3.8 liters. It's built around an aluminum block, and the cylinder bores have been sprayed with a coating of plasma some 0.15mm thick to provide the sealing surface for the piston rings. This is in contrast to the normal practice of inserting 2.6mm iron cylinder liners for the same purpose. Nissan claims this process saves about 6.6 pounds in the weight of the engine." "

Last edited by RedBeauty84ZX; 10-17-2007 at 11:37 PM.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice, a multi-function LCD display that can display cornering G's that seems to be pointing out the rear window instead of at the driver's face. That's a great way to distract the driver from the road. And why does it have a speedometer? Isn't there already one in the gauge cluster? Call me old fashioned, but shouldn't all those things on the screen (minus the G meter) be separate individual gauges on the gauge cluster? And I highly doubt that it'll do 7:35 in production trim. Looks like the Nippons are still overrating their cars.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Well, a Nissan GTR in production trim running a 7:35 in the 'Ring is WELL WORTH the $70k price... Is this Nissan's claim, or is it verified? In other words, is this what Nissan is reporting to absent journalists, or have the Motor Trend journalists documented this themselves...

If this is true, AND I AM A HARDCORE Z06 FAN, but I'm NOT biased...

I'll be the first to declare the GTR as the new fastest road course car for the money... Over the current Z06 of course.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

NICE--but kinda ugly.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
NICE--but kinda ugly.
You can't outrun ugly like this!
Old 10-18-2007, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The supposed chief engr. said it's on target with the 997 turbo, on back towards a slower mid 7:50's.
Fanboi's have claimed 7:28's, most try to paint it to a mid 7:30 to try and cloak it.
If it did run a 7:35, then I'll be waiting to see an independent test of a retail unit; Nissan has used ringers before to cheat the ring times. The lack of trap speed when the 11.7 gets flogged lends me to believe that the chief engineer is more on target, it's more realistic given it's weight and power.

that thing has way way too many electrical gadgets, perfect for the bling crowd, and ADD people as well haha.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:35 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Well, a Nissan GTR in production trim running a 7:35 in the 'Ring is WELL WORTH the $70k price... Is this Nissan's claim, or is it verified? In other words, is this what Nissan is reporting to absent journalists, or have the Motor Trend journalists documented this themselves...

If this is true, AND I AM A HARDCORE Z06 FAN, but I'm NOT biased...

I'll be the first to declare the GTR as the new fastest road course car for the money... Over the current Z06 of course.
It is a "reported by sources at the scene" time- neither Nissan or a magazine from what I understand.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:46 PM
TECH Junkie

^ I really want to know what transpires... I'm camping out on this thread... Good info guys, but to future posters, please no domestic fanboy bullshit.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:55 AM
TECH Addict

Well wasn't the Z06s time at the ring from a dead stop? I believe i read somewhere that even though the Z06 didn't beat the Porsche GTs times, that it did pretty good considering the Porsche had a running start. Oh well how long has it taken them to finally bring out the GTR, they better enjoy all the hype. Because in January the next big thing will be unveiled.

-Joel
Old 10-19-2007, 08:57 AM
TECH Addict

Oh and lets start a pool, how long till some rich kid has this thing wrapped around a pole/tree?
-Joel
Old 10-19-2007, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

In response to 2000Hawk,

At most 15 minutes after they show in the dealership. AWD LOLZFTMWF!
Old 10-19-2007, 03:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Makes you wonder what a hopped up LS7 AWD C6Z could do.

W
Old 10-19-2007, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WECIV
Makes you wonder what a hopped up LS7 AWD C6Z could do.

W
Funny, I was just thinking the same thing!
Old 10-19-2007, 11:48 PM
Launching!

New pics

Quick Reply: Road and Tracks GTR Release