Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Corvette ZR1 to run laps at Laguna Seca this weekend??

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 11:48 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by modmotor
Official times do exist.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...topanel..1.*#3

Qoute:

The Fastest Lap
The record lap would be set by Nissan's top shoe, Suzuki-san, who ultimately turned in a lap in 7 minutes, 38 seconds on a partially wet circuit. Those ominous clouds looming in the sky earlier in the day left their mark on two areas of the track, Kesselchen and Wehrsiefen, and required Suzuki-san to rein his speed in a bit.

Beating a 911 Turbo around the Nordschleife is an accomplishment at any price, but pipping it by 2 seconds, on a partly damp circuit, at an estimated price point of $80,000 is something else entirely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordsch...test_lap_times
How could it be an official time if it is not a production vehicle? There is no official time for a production vehicle because a production vehicle has not been released yet.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:54 AM
Restricted User

Official times do exist.

Qoute:

The Fastest Lap
The record lap would be set by Nissan's top shoe, Suzuki-san, who ultimately turned in a lap in 7 minutes, 38 seconds on a partially wet circuit. Those ominous clouds looming in the sky earlier in the day left their mark on two areas of the track, Kesselchen and Wehrsiefen, and required Suzuki-san to rein his speed in a bit.

Beating a 911 Turbo around the Nordschleife is an accomplishment at any price, but pipping it by 2 seconds, on a partly damp circuit, at an estimated price point of $80,000 is something else entirely.

Yeah that's not a production version. I also don't see what makes that an official time. It's reported in the same fashion as all the other times, including the 7:28 that fanboys are touting madly.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Official times do exist.

Qoute:

The Fastest Lap

Excuses excuses....the track was WET when Jan ran the Ring in the Z06, AND he was on street tires. What was the Skyline running? Wet-type racing tires?

Either way, for the Skyline to only run two seconds faster(supposedly) than the old Z06 is pretty lousy. Something with AWD should be able to do better...

In other words, the new Z06 will flat out bury it!
Old 10-21-2007, 03:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Any vids of the C6Z running the Ring?

W
Old 10-21-2007, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I missed the end of the race. Does anyone know who and what won?
Old 10-21-2007, 07:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hydramatic
Excuses excuses....the track was WET when Jan ran the Ring in the Z06, AND he was on street tires. What was the Skyline running? Wet-type racing tires?

Either way, for the Skyline to only run two seconds faster(supposedly) than the old Z06 is pretty lousy. Something with AWD should be able to do better...

In other words, the new Z06 will flat out bury it!

It doesnt make any difference what the conditions where when the GTR ran. The fact is, it accomplished what it was intended to do and that is break the souls of every Porshe owner. Its target was not to run parallel with the Z06(although it has) and it did it quit convincingly. The Skyline drivetrain is far more sophisticated than the Vettes. Hence the handicap provided by its curb weight, yet offers more performance, comfort and amenities than any of its competitors. Remember, we there are 3 versions of this car. From reports, prices will range from 60k-80k
Old 10-21-2007, 08:16 PM
14 Second Truck Club

The car hasnt done anything yet, because there hasnt been a production car on the track yet. It has been nothing but mixed numbers as far as price, performance, etc. I am reserving judgment on the car until a actual production car hits the streets and track. They are trying to play this anticipation game and the magazines and others are just speculating, and all this could backfire. What happens when the base model is $85k+ and 10 seconds slower on the Ring? And the faster version is $120k?

Same goes for the new ZR1 in some aspects also. All the talk with nothing really for certain. If the car comes out with less performance and a higher cost that speculated you will have a lot of disappointed people (most of which would probably never buy one anyway). Although they havent been talking track times much with the ZR1.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mzoomora
The car hasnt done anything yet, because there hasnt been a production car on the track yet. It has been nothing but mixed numbers as far as price, performance, etc. I am reserving judgment on the car until a actual production car hits the streets and track. They are trying to play this anticipation game and the magazines and others are just speculating, and all this could backfire. What happens when the base model is $85k+ and 10 seconds slower on the Ring? And the faster version is $120k?

Same goes for the new ZR1 in some aspects also. All the talk with nothing really for certain. If the car comes out with less performance and a higher cost that speculated you will have a lot of disappointed people (most of which would probably never buy one anyway). Although they havent been talking track times much with the ZR1.
agreed
Old 10-21-2007, 11:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Why this hatred for the new Skyline? It is darn near production. It is a fine car and will be a good little sports car. What is your problem with it?

W
Old 10-21-2007, 11:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WECIV
Why this hatred for the new Skyline? It is darn near production. It is a fine car and will be a good little sports car. What is your problem with it?

W

People fail to see what competition brings. Its sad to see people so closeminded, not appreciate other cars. Thats like saying, I only date white girls, but forget about Latinas, Asians and Blacks. The world would be pretty boring if it was
Old 10-22-2007, 10:01 AM
14 Second Truck Club

W
No hatred at all. The point is that you cant post results or times as facts for a car that isnt even in production, but is "darn near production". I think it will be a great sports car, it may even live up to all the hype, but if it doesnt?

What I am against is all the hype, premature stats and "reports" about a car that hasnt even been made. Look at how many different times have been reported for the Ring. How many price ranges. Different models with different HP. There has been more changes than actual fact, and that is what I dont like.

I hope the car does well, but if Nissan is one of the people fanning the flames I kinda hope it backfires on them. If it does end up being a bunch of false claims I highly doubt it would be them that did it, but it is all very tiring. Has an official sale date even been released yet?
Old 10-22-2007, 11:27 AM
TECH Junkie

As LSX fans we have been fanning the flames and talking about yet to be introduced camaro's and Vettes like they are gold plated and touched by the hand of God. I do not see a problem about being really motivated about a car!!!

I agree ModMotor!!!

W
Old 10-22-2007, 01:24 PM
14 Second Truck Club

As LSX fans we have been fanning the flames and talking about yet to be introduced camaro's and Vettes like they are gold plated and touched by the hand of God. I do not see a problem about being really motivated about a car!!!

I agree ModMotor!!!

W
But have you heard anybody say the ZR1 has run 7:26 at the Ring? Or say that the Camaro has run 11.5 in the 1/4? Being motivated is one thing, but posting unsubstantiated facts or making statements that "The Skyline is beating everyone" goes beyond being motivated or excited.

Im saying wait until the car actually exists as a regular production vehicle, that is all.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mzoomora
But have you heard anybody say the ZR1 has run 7:26 at the Ring? Or say that the Camaro has run 11.5 in the 1/4? Being motivated is one thing, but posting unsubstantiated facts or making statements that "The Skyline is beating everyone" goes beyond being motivated or excited.

Im saying wait until the car actually exists as a regular production vehicle, that is all.
An example could be the 04 GTO. I remember before the car was even released it was rated at a 0 - 60 of 4.7, than 5.0 than 5.7, it also ran faster in the 1/4 than a Z06 somehow also.

Whether it be the new ZR-1 or GTR, I will wait til they are actually out on the road before I believe any sort of times.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:12 PM
TECH Addict

Well lets look at the cover of the Motor Trend mag. that has the GTR on the cover. It says priced like a Z06 and in large bold letters CORVETTE KILLER. Well they say they ran a 0-60 in 3.5 and quarter in 11.7. Well think of it this way if thats what they ran then the only corvette they will be killing are regular C6s. Heres a statement from when the '06 Z06 came out:

"We bolted our own test equipment to a car at GM's Milford Proving Ground and found it had grunt enough to hurl this 3147-pound coupe to 60 mph in 3.5 seconds, and nail the standing quarter in 11.5 seconds at 127.1 mph. That 7000-rpm redline is almost superfluous, by the way, because the weapons-grade torque seam is so rich and flat that third gear is about all you need for most occasions."

So if you think about it yes the Z06 is .2 faster, but it still is faster. So i don't see why everyone is getting all crazy about, the vette either way is the king of the road. Either way the ZR1 is coming to take over the world, so hold on to your ***** its going to be one hell of a ride.
-Joel
Old 10-22-2007, 03:12 PM
Restricted User

Yeah I think it will be a great performer too. I can't speak for others, but I can say i'm just trying to keep the facts straight. There are no OFFICIAL times for this car, and there won't be until a production version exists. We went through the same BS with the Z06 and probably will with the ZR1. I expect the GT-R to give the Z06 a good run, but even the engineers who designed the car don't expect it to be faster.

Also of note, there is nothing "more sophisticated" about the drivetrain of the GT-R. From an engineer's point of view, the Z06 actually has the more sophisticated setup, using alloys and composites in ways not yet seen on road cars under $!00k. The only thing the GT-R has in that department is AWD, which is something a $25k Subaru can boast. So while the Z06 has a lightweight, efficient drivetrain, the GT-R has a heavy, overly complicated power delivery system that will do little other than to slow it down.

The GT-R is much more of a luxury car than a Vette. Don't expect it to compete with a purpose-built Z06.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
The GT-R is much more of a luxury car than a Vette. Don't expect it to compete with a purpose-built Z06.

I'll drink to that

-Joel
Old 10-22-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More pictures:

Images snagged from FQuick blog.
http://www.fquick.com/

Old 10-22-2007, 05:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Were you there, Octane? If so what did it sound like?

W
Old 10-22-2007, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

Looks like its hugging the corners nicely, can't wait to get an audio video. The passenger is recording, wish we could get our hands on that.
-Joel

Quick Reply: Corvette ZR1 to run laps at Laguna Seca this weekend??