Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Toyota takes world sales in 1st Q

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 04:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota takes world sales in 1st Q

Link: http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080423/gm_gl...ales.html?.v=8

Saw it on the Drudge report today. Looks like Toyota takes 1st quarter world sales lead from GM. There is a piece about how they predict "GM is probably going to have some recovery in the second half of '08 in the U.S. market," but then they go on to say that they think Toyota will benefit at the same time, and still be ahead.

IMO I think GM will be doing a lot better in 2009 as the Camaro and G8 hit the market hard. They've got a great line up this year and it will only improve by '09.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

Default Toyota outsells GM globally in First Quarter

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/23/t...lobally-in-q1/
Worldwide:
Toyota: 2.41 million
General Motors: 2.25 million

But like the article says Toyota outsold GM in the first quarter last year, and GM still came out winning at the end of the year. I still don't understand why some people are fascinated with the Toyota brands, and act like they are so much better than those of the General.
-Joel
Old 04-23-2008, 04:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hope GM recovers.....damn Toyota..
Old 04-23-2008, 04:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by OSUBraden
IMO I think GM will be doing a lot better in 2009 as the Camaro and G8 hit the market hard. They've got a great line up this year and it will only improve by '09.

You're putting A LOT of faith in the import nameplate brainwashed sheeplemmings out there, but I DO hope (and pray) you are RIGHT!!!
Old 04-23-2008, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one Toyota SUV in the family fleet. It is the least desirable, noisey (wind, engine and road noise) of any vehicle I have, other than the race car. If it didn't get acceptable gas mileage (23/28) it wouldn't get driven at all. Not sure how Toyota gets their sales considering their vehicles are expensive, basic (unless its a Lexus) and have mediocre styling.
I occasionaly buy a used low mileage Import to see what the other side raves about. I haven't been impressed yet.

Last edited by TT632; 04-23-2008 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:37 PM
Banned

Right ! When Toyota comes out with their under $30,000.00 muscle car with 425 HP weighing in at only 3595 lbs. I'll probably be about tenth in line . Then let the games begin .
Old 04-23-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Veteran

I am not trying to discourage anyone from posting news but why does everyone get twisted about who is the true juggernaut of automotive manufacturing on a monthly basis?

I don't want to see GM die but I think that downsizing and concentraiting on quality could be a way for GM to survive.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/23/t...lobally-in-q1/
Worldwide:
Toyota: 2.41 million
General Motors: 2.25 million

But like the article says Toyota outsold GM in the first quarter last year, and GM still came out winning at the end of the year. I still don't understand why some people are fascinated with the Toyota brands, and act like they are so much better than those of the General.
-Joel

That's because they are

If you look at it from a manufacturing standpoint Toyota IS the bar. I just saw a Ford commercial where they make it a point to say their quality is as good as Toyota's.

If one of the big three is willing to put a statement like that in a commerical that probably cost them millions to produce it definitely says something.

I've driven SUV's of Fords, Toyota's and GMs. I've been impressed most with Toyota's. Ride quality, ergonomics, noise and in an offroad situation to boot. It was a lot more fun the drive the Yota over the Dakota we had at the time.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:22 PM
Restricted User

Yeah I follow it just because it's interesting...but I won't be heartbroken if GM drops to number two. In fact, I think it will be very good news for GM because they will be out of the quality spotlight and Toyota will be in it.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Veteran

This news was inevitable. What's also inevitable is that GM will go bankrupt unless drastic changes are made and GM simply isn't making them.

There is no "new" GM. It's the same company being destroyed by the same hubris and mismanagement as it always has. It's being crushed under the weight of supporting eight nearly worthless brands in a market that doesn't support them and hasn't for 30 years.

The majority of their cars are still poor values, still have corners cut and are still mediocre.

Toyota is a benchmark for a reason and they are the world's wealthiest and fastest growing automaker for a reason.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:23 PM
TECH Regular

lol, we posted these like 2 mins apart

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=908266

I was first!

sigh!
Old 04-23-2008, 10:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Free post cause you were first.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:44 PM
TECH Addict

Threads merged, weeeeeeee.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:54 PM
11 Second Club

i work for toyota and u cant beat the fit and finish of a toyota... and where else can u take ur car to a dealer and get steering engine drive train work lets say 3600 bucks worth of repairs done in a day u take a chevy in for a tune up aligh bla bla u have to wait till one tech gets done with it to pass it on the dont do it all they have engine techs drive train tech elec tech ect... at toyota u have to be able to do it all... i am a master ase/toyota tech and wouldnt ever go to gm.. ford or dodge.....
Old 04-24-2008, 12:05 AM
TECH Addict

lol, we posted these like 2 mins apart

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=908266

I was first!

sigh!
Damn it you got me!
-Joel
Old 04-24-2008, 12:28 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

True, and don't forget the new Malibu and CTS too, those cars are doing VERY well.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:31 AM
10 Second Club

Talking

Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER
Right ! When Toyota comes out with their under $30,000.00 muscle car with 425 HP weighing in at only 3595 lbs.
I'd hold my breath waiting for Toyota (or ANY import nameplate carmaker for that matter) to come out with that car but I don't want to die.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:33 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SScam68
That's because they are

If you look at it from a manufacturing standpoint Toyota IS the bar. I just saw a Ford commercial where they make it a point to say their quality is as good as Toyota's.

If one of the big three is willing to put a statement like that in a commerical that probably cost them millions to produce it definitely says something.

I've driven SUV's of Fords, Toyota's and GMs. I've been impressed most with Toyota's. Ride quality, ergonomics, noise and in an offroad situation to boot. It was a lot more fun the drive the Yota over the Dakota we had at the time.
I've driven/owned Fords, Toyotas and GMs as well and I would like to disagree with you. If you think there is some huge quality difference between the brands you are nieve.

Go to a different country and you will see the exact opposite, a lot of people consider their domestic cars inferior to the imports (GM/Ford are imports in other countries). And it's completely baseless. Just a bunch of idiots, if you want to prove otherwise then show some proof, otherwise you just lead me to believe that you are included in that group as well that make up your mind without facts.

I think a lot of people are like that on almost everything in the world though...
Old 04-24-2008, 12:38 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TriShield
What's also inevitable is that GM will go bankrupt unless drastic changes are made and GM simply isn't making them.
There is no "new" GM. It's the same company being destroyed by the same hubris and mismanagement as it always has. It's being crushed under the weight of supporting eight nearly worthless brands in a market that doesn't support them and hasn't for 30 years.
Yeah we've all heard that before, for over 30 years now.
The company is still around and doing fine in what is among THE WORST TIMES EVER to be a car/truck manufacturer.

Originally Posted by TriShield
Toyota is a benchmark for a reason and they are the world's wealthiest and fastest growing automaker for a reason.
True, the reason being of course that some clever advertising along with a little side order of brainwashing really does work!
Old 04-24-2008, 12:47 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 98mysticZ
i work for toyota and u cant beat the fit and finish of a toyota... and where else can u take ur car to a dealer and get steering engine drive train work lets say 3600 bucks worth of repairs done in a day u take a chevy in for a tune up aligh bla bla u have to wait till one tech gets done with it to pass it on the dont do it all they have engine techs drive train tech elec tech ect... at toyota u have to be able to do it all... i am a master ase/toyota tech and wouldnt ever go to gm.. ford or dodge.....
Must be different Toyotas then what I have owned. Previous 00 Tundra I owned was a mushy POS and was at the dealer 3 times in the first 2 years. My current 02 GMC, not one visit to the dealer in 105,000 miles, same for my 04 Tahoe. Current RAV4 I own is a little POS buzz box, no better then a Hyundai SUV. Rented a Corolla on a business trip...Yeh, thats real quality? Must be the Prius and Camry that are the real high quality vehicles.

On the other hand, you are employed to work on Japanese vehicles that never break so you must be like the Matag repair man since Toyotas never break.

Quick Reply: Toyota takes world sales in 1st Q