Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Creaking noise coming from rear suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 08:58 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creaking noise coming from rear suspension

I'm hearing a squeak/creak from the rear suspension. It does it when maneuvering at slow speeds or going over speed bumps. I greased the Hotchkis bars and it didn't help. I can make it squeak by pushing down on the car with my hands, but when the car is on ramps it won't make a sound. This makes it hard to diagnose. Anyone have the same problem? Please help.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:13 PM
Launching!

It's the white colored "supplemental" bushings that were installed to help with the wheel hop. They're installed between the 4 large washers and rubber bushings that bolt the rear cradle to the chassis.

Either grease them monthly or do what I did- drop the cradle and pull the damn things out.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:50 PM
TECH Regular

i got it as well when it bucks a lil bit when im not smooth with the clutch...

sounds like passenger side under rear seat
Old 10-30-2008, 09:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Same here, Im just gonna drop the rear and grease it all up..
Old 10-31-2008, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mine has the same thing. I tried to get the dealer to "fix it" in may/april when i had it in for warranty but they couldn't "duplicate the problem". I've seen those white spacers there, are you sure its ok just to take them out!?
Old 11-10-2008, 02:46 PM
Launching!

They weren't there when the car left the factory- all you're doing is putting it back to stock. Dealers were getting a lot of complaints about wheelhop in wet weather or under hard launches, so GM cooked up those bushings as a "fix" to be installed if a customer had this complaint.

Mine did little to nothing to help with wheelhop, and since I don't launch the car much anyway I just had them removed.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tony Orlando
They weren't there when the car left the factory- all you're doing is putting it back to stock. Dealers were getting a lot of complaints about wheelhop in wet weather or under hard launches, so GM cooked up those bushings as a "fix" to be installed if a customer had this complaint.

Mine did little to nothing to help with wheelhop, and since I don't launch the car much anyway I just had them removed.
Hmmm... then they'll be coming out!
Old 11-11-2008, 12:24 PM
TECH Regular

I have the same type of creek but it sounds like its coming from the front suspension. Off to the dealership I go!
Old 11-13-2008, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

I had them installed - i don't beat on my car too often, but the times that i do i have noticed significantly less wheel hop since they were installed. Mine just started to do it in the cooler weather - I can definitely live with it.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saturate all bushings but most especially the 4 large bushings (2 each side) with inox brand penetrating oil. It seems to do the trick and is a whole lot faster than taking things apart, greasing the bushings, and reassembling ... that gets old fast. Only thing to keep in mind when spraying the bushings it to have a piece of cardboard beneath your work area to catch the drips.
The last time I sprayed my bushings was about 4 months back and I still don't have any creak/squeak issues. In my car, of the 4 large bushings, the front passenger side bushing was the noisiest.
Have fun a wear eye protection.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RocketSSled
I saturate all bushings but most especially the 4 large bushings (2 each side) with inox brand penetrating oil. It seems to do the trick and is a whole lot faster than taking things apart, greasing the bushings, and reassembling ... that gets old fast. Only thing to keep in mind when spraying the bushings it to have a piece of cardboard beneath your work area to catch the drips.
The last time I sprayed my bushings was about 4 months back and I still don't have any creak/squeak issues. In my car, of the 4 large bushings, the front passenger side bushing was the noisiest.
Good point, my buddy has this chainwax stuff for his motorcycle, i wonder if that would help... he wont miss some missing
Old 02-22-2009, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

I think that I've got this issue. I just bought the car and it wasn't doing it when I first drove got it, but now a couple weeks later it's squeaking and creaking over most bumps. Where do you get this "inox brand" and which "four large bushings". Thanks
Old 02-22-2009, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ace Hardware is where I purchased my can of Inox and seems to work better than anything else I've tried. I've used other spray lubricants but it seems that Inox works the longest especially when the weather gets wet ... not that that happens very often here in Arizona.

I am not sure what the names of the bushings are but the 4 large ones I was referring to are hard to miss especially if you back up the car onto some rhino ramps. One is forward of the IRS setup and one rear of the IRS - each side of the car and slightly in-board. I usually saturate everything that even looks like a bushing in my car's rear end just to make sure that there isn't a new source for the noises. The front bushing passenger side always starts making noises sooner than the others. A long drive down some twisty roads will help work the lubricant in.

In case you don't have an Ace Hardware store nearby (or one that sells this stuff), their contact details from the can is:
Inox, manufactured by Maxi-Pac Systems, Inc., Sylmar, CA 91342, toll free 877-353-6662.

Best of luck with your creaking noise.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

Ace Hardware is where I purchased my can of Inox and seems to work better than anything else I've tried. I've used other spray lubricants but it seems that Inox works the longest especially when the weather gets wet ... not that that happens very often here in Arizona.

I am not sure what the names of the bushings are but the 4 large ones I was referring to are hard to miss especially if you back up the car onto some rhino ramps. One is forward of the IRS setup and one rear of the IRS - each side of the car and slightly in-board. I usually saturate everything that even looks like a bushing in my car's rear end just to make sure that there isn't a new source for the noises. The front bushing passenger side always starts making noises sooner than the others. A long drive down some twisty roads will help work the lubricant in.

In case you don't have an Ace Hardware store nearby (or one that sells this stuff), their contact details from the can is:
Inox, manufactured by Maxi-Pac Systems, Inc., Sylmar, CA 91342, toll free 877-353-6662.

Best of luck with your creaking noise.

Yea, it sounds like it's in the front passenger side, and is getting worst each day. There is an Ace Hardware very close to me. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Creaking noise coming from rear suspension