Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Battery not charging and red battery dash light...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 07:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery not charging and red battery dash light...

Well, I am intermittently getting a notice of Battery not Charging. The battery in the now is not even a year old and shows its charged at 14V+ all the time when the car is running and even at idle. The battery is holding and staying charged so I don't think its the alternator, would a old accessory drive belt cause this from slippage? The belt could be the original belt? It is tight.

Now at lunch the red dash light for the battery is going on and off. Seems like when under load it turns off then at lower rpms comes back on.

So far this winter I've had a valve spring break/ a ballast is out currently and now this...I love the car but its starting to make me think about getting rid of it now...
Old 03-05-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can have the alt tested at most Checkers / Autozones for free. If you think the battery is good, thats where id start. They do go bad, it simply wears out. And sounds like when your at idle its not charging, but when you rev it... it makes enough to charge. Keeping the battery alive, but barely. Id start here. If the belt is old, id change that too (they are what... $20-25 for a gator back?) throw the old one in your trunk incase you ever need it.

If the battery was bad it just wouldnt hold a charge... wouldnt want to start... but once it was started would run fine, till you turned it off again.

Other then that the only thing that could really be wrong is your grounding somewhere. But doesnt sound like your symptoms.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:48 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by xxrillixx
You can have the alt tested at most Checkers / Autozones for free. If you think the battery is good, thats where id start. They do go bad, it simply wears out. And sounds like when your at idle its not charging, but when you rev it... it makes enough to charge. Keeping the battery alive, but barely. Id start here. If the belt is old, id change that too (they are what... $20-25 for a gator back?) throw the old one in your trunk incase you ever need it.

If the battery was bad it just wouldnt hold a charge... wouldnt want to start... but once it was started would run fine, till you turned it off again.

Other then that the only thing that could really be wrong is your grounding somewhere. But doesnt sound like your symptoms.
Yeah, I'm going to pull the alt and have it tested and see if thats it.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:41 AM
TECH Addict

Why not test the battery first? It's alot easier to pull and if the alt is working it would still be showing 14 volts because it's constantly applying a charge to the battery.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jerrad
Why not test the battery first? It's alot easier to pull and if the alt is working it would still be showing 14 volts because it's constantly applying a charge to the battery.
^ Ya that. It's a bit of a pain to get the alternator out. You either have to take the PS pump off, or you need to pull out the radiator (it easier o pull the radiator out with the fans attached, then to try and just pull the fans out) to get to it.

Check the battery first.

-Chris
Old 03-06-2009, 11:41 AM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

Start your car, loosen and remove your positive terminal on your battery. If your alternator is good, car will stay running. Have someone turn some accessories on... lights, blinkers... operate windows. Thats a quick and easy way to see if your alternator is good. I am not sure how CTS's monitor voltage, is there an additional wire off of the battery term. to the computer? You could have a weak connection on your battery itself causing a false battery voltage reading/and or charge.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by -T-
Start your car, loosen and remove your positive terminal on your battery. If your alternator is good, car will stay running. Have someone turn some accessories on... lights, blinkers... operate windows. Thats a quick and easy way to see if your alternator is good. I am not sure how CTS's monitor voltage, is there an additional wire off of the battery term. to the computer? You could have a weak connection on your battery itself causing a false battery voltage reading/and or charge.
true!!! It could be like trying to charge your car with house speaker wires if the wires to the battery are not getting a full connection!!! check to see if you have carotion on the battery or see if your wires have a tight connection!!!
Old 03-06-2009, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ive had this going on for some time....I just think its a short, or something thats similar to "why is the Reverse (R) displayed when Im driving at 50mph sometimes" and "the ghost car on the tire pressure display" among other little screwups.....
Old 03-09-2009, 03:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by trukk
^ Ya that. It's a bit of a pain to get the alternator out. You either have to take the PS pump off, or you need to pull out the radiator (it easier o pull the radiator out with the fans attached, then to try and just pull the fans out) to get to it.

Check the battery first.

-Chris
checked the battery is its fine. They said its the alt. for sure. Battery voltage never gets below 13.9 at the very lowest.

Now, I hope your kidding that you need to pull the PS pump or rad. to get to it? Is there anyway from under the car?
Old 03-24-2009, 02:33 PM
10 Second Club

Ok, I went ahead and replaced the battery and check the connections and wires the best I could. The problem went away for 4-5 days and now its back. It seems to come back now more at idle then under load it goes away but not always.

I ordered a new belt and will try that but I'm pretty sure the belt isn't the issue.

There does appear to be another wire coming from the terminals but I haven't been able to trace this down...this is very annoying to drive with and need to fix it for my piece of mind....I guess a trip to the dealer will be next after the belt, would the belt tensioner cause any of this at all since it looks to be a "floating" adjustment?

Also the battery is a one year old AutoZone duralast battery that has been checked and according to them fine. I was going to swap with my yellow top optima out of my camaro but the top posts are in the way.

Last edited by Racin96ss; 03-24-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:13 PM

Hey man I would like to know what happen after all? Did you change the Belt tensioner and the belt? Did you change the alternator? Please let me what happen beacuse I just bought a 2004 CTS and on the navigation screen it's coming out "Battery Not Charging" I checked at Autozone and supposely alternator need to be 122Amp and when it was checked it was giving 62amp. I would apprecitate your respond on this issue.

Thanks!
Old 07-29-2009, 02:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by hiramtinoco
Hey man I would like to know what happen after all? Did you change the Belt tensioner and the belt? Did you change the alternator? Please let me what happen beacuse I just bought a 2004 CTS and on the navigation screen it's coming out "Battery Not Charging" I checked at Autozone and supposely alternator need to be 122Amp and when it was checked it was giving 62amp. I would apprecitate your respond on this issue.

Thanks!
I have been driving with the notice for 4 months now. I am thinking this is an wiring harness issue now since the voltage is good...the alt is new, the battery is new and the grounds we all checked. I will be checking everything again this new week or 2 otherwise I will have it tuned out.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Did you ever figure this out? I have the same problem
Old 06-30-2010, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

Apparently it's a ground issue. I've had the same problem for about four months now, and I have a 9 month old red-top Optima in my car. For some strange reason my left headlight blinks on and off every once in awhile too. Somebody on the other forum mentioned it being a ground. I guess check the grounds to the chassis(I think there's three-one near the hood strut and two behind each head on the forewall or something like that.) and see if they are loose, dirty, or corroded. I just haven't got around to checking mine out yet. It's no fun working under the hood in the 100 degree El Paso heat, so my tinkering has been limited lately. I just did the TB coolant bypass, and my hands are still feeling it.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:15 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tiremarx723
Did you ever figure this out? I have the same problem
Yes, it was a short at the PCM. I never did anything with it since I traded the car in on a TBSS. Check the PCM wires for a short.

Originally Posted by SimplistikTA
Apparently it's a ground issue. I've had the same problem for about four months now, and I have a 9 month old red-top Optima in my car. For some strange reason my left headlight blinks on and off every once in awhile too. Somebody on the other forum mentioned it being a ground. I guess check the grounds to the chassis(I think there's three-one near the hood strut and two behind each head on the forewall or something like that.) and see if they are loose, dirty, or corroded. I just haven't got around to checking mine out yet. It's no fun working under the hood in the 100 degree El Paso heat, so my tinkering has been limited lately. I just did the TB coolant bypass, and my hands are still feeling it.
a lot of people told me the same thing but I checked and cleaned up all the gnds on the car and still had the same issue.

Check the gnds underhood and then the PCM...hopefully its a ground issue and not the PCM issue.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

i used to get this message about the (not charging) turned out my fosgate amp was pulling the voltage down below 12 for a split second causing the message.. i put a 1fared cap in and havent had a problem since
Old 07-06-2010, 12:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Had this issue a month ago... turned out to be alternator. Easy job, pull the ps pump, took 45mins to do!
Old 07-24-2016, 08:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

My V just started doing this So......I'm hoping it isn't a PCM issue and I'm just throwing parts at it. I bought the Mechman 240a alternator at a hefty price of $400

But, I guess I needed the upgrade anyway eventually. I hope it frees up a pony or two also!

Anyway my car literally started doing this yesterday afternoon after a couple of highway pulls against my buddy's C6Z. It was like 102 outside so I'm hoping the heat and the 6,900 rpm together killed the factory alternator.

I guess we will find out when the new one arrives. Hopefully they have one instock and don't take 3 weeks to build it!
Old 07-25-2016, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check the voltage at the battery while the car is running and compare it to what the DIC is reporting. If they are the same, your PCM is ok.. it gets the signal from the two small wires on the alternator harness. The resolution to this problem is almost always a new OEM alternator. Hopefully mechman doesn't have the regulator problems the cheap rebuilds do.

Quick Reply: Battery not charging and red battery dash light...