Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

how much power increase from cam, exhaust, intake, tune?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much power increase from cam, exhaust, intake, tune?

went and looked at a CTS-V today locally that was at a dealership in the area for what i thought was a good price. 05 with 30K miles for $20K. turned out it had been involved in a rear end accident and was very minor damage according to carfax. it had two owners, first in michigan who leased it and wrecked it up there, then it was bought at auction up there by a dealer down here sold to another guy, then he traded it in at the jaguar dealership on saturday. fi have no way to talk to the owner to wrecked it to ask him the extent of the damage, so i decided not to buy the car, but i still test drove it.

it certainly wasnt what i thought it was going to be. it felt very slow to me in comparison of other 400HP cars ive been in. i dont know if it was just the car or what. so i definently wouldnt be happy with stock power. what kind of power will a cam, full exhaust, CAI, and a tune net me? im not looking for a race car but its gotta be fun or i wont buy it. i really do like these cars but i jsut cant be happy at stock power, and i dont mind modding it some, but i dont want it to turn into a car that i cant drive absolutely everywhere.

besides the power aspect the car really suprised me. i know they dont weigh as much as most would think, but its still a good car and i was amazed at how well it handled. it didnt handle quite as good as my cobra with a tubular kmember and coilovers but it still handled alot better thani i suspected. the brakes were great too, they are alot better than the ones on my cobra. it stopped better despite being about 500lbs heavier. so in the handling, braking, ride quality, and comfort aspects it was great, the power just wasnt up to what im wanting.

i also have to say the clutch feel isnt that great, it takes some getting use to for sure. it has the stock shifter which was TERRIBLE and im sure contributed to how hard shfiting was to get used to.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:41 PM
Launching!

CAI, W4M chip 350rwhp....
stock around 315 to 330.....

I know there are SOME V out there with IFY rear end diff's
Get the VIN # and call any GM service department for a service history, then ask their advice on that service history they see....

Still under warranty?

Drive another V and compare.

99.9999999999999% of cars will be slower than your 657rwhp 03 Cobra.

I sold my 96 Cobra with Vortech, Griggs suspension etc..... for my V 4 years ago...

BTW, I live the Dallas area... jerrycecco@tx.rr.com

--Jerry
Old 05-01-2009, 04:51 PM
On The Tree

thanks, yeah im aware that most everything is going to be clower than my cobra. and my current cobra becuase of the weight reduction is actually faster than my old 657WHP 03. but as i stated in my last thread im not looking for anything as fast as the cobra, just enough power to make me happy, which the CTS-V in stock form jsut doesnt have. i dont think it will take too much more, i think 400WHP will suffice.

do these cars not gain all that much from CAI's, and catback? i notice one with either or doesnt dyno much higher than stock, but then headers wake it right up. and its completely the opposite on 03/04 cobra's they gain 20-30HP from catback, and and 20-30 from intake, but only a few from headers, but i can attest to the fact that it feels like they give you a very big gain, and makes it run much better, you can feel the difference in restriction from how it runs.

and no it wasnt under warranty, a call to a friend at another stealership confirmed it has had the radio replaced, and the diff aswell.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

exhaust doesnt give you much bang for the buck and the CAi is not very noticeable. You gain so much on the cobra since you give that blower a lot more breathing room and room to exhale. since the V isn't pulling in as much air and the factory exhaust/intake arent as restrictive it doesn't gain as much from those mods. Headers will be pricey but will give you more then a catback. A mild cam will put you at about 420rwhp with a tune for an installed and tuned price of around 2500.(i was quoted).
Old 05-01-2009, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

Place the car in "competition mode" when you test drive it. I thought the same thing for the first few months of owning mine until I read here about pushing the traction control button three times fast and putting the car in comp mode. Makes a pretty big difference in performance for sure. First time I tried it I hit it about the same as I had been at a light and turning, didn't take much and I was sideways - sure as hell never did that before.

d~
Old 05-01-2009, 11:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Redneckbmxer24
thanks, yeah im aware that most everything is going to be clower than my cobra. and my current cobra becuase of the weight reduction is actually faster than my old 657WHP 03. but as i stated in my last thread im not looking for anything as fast as the cobra, just enough power to make me happy, which the CTS-V in stock form jsut doesnt have. i dont think it will take too much more, i think 400WHP will suffice.

do these cars not gain all that much from CAI's, and catback? i notice one with either or doesnt dyno much higher than stock, but then headers wake it right up. and its completely the opposite on 03/04 cobra's they gain 20-30HP from catback, and and 20-30 from intake, but only a few from headers, but i can attest to the fact that it feels like they give you a very big gain, and makes it run much better, you can feel the difference in restriction from how it runs.

and no it wasnt under warranty, a call to a friend at another stealership confirmed it has had the radio replaced, and the diff aswell.
Well you can always look for a V with a Maggie/blower on it OR add one...
I've read V with a Blower can make 450+ to the wheels.

CAM adds about 30, headers & cam adds 60-70,
headers, cam & heads can add 100 or more....
all depends how far you want to go.
Or pop of a 2009 V -- about a month ago, I saw a dead stock 2009 V make 511rhwp, but like everything in life....that's going to cost you about $63k new..

You can search youtube "CTSV dyno" for differenct results....

--Jerry
Old 05-02-2009, 12:05 AM
TECH Addict

Part of the reason the car feels "slow" with 400hp is because the drive line soaks up alot more power than most cars. dual mass clutch/flywheel and rubber mounted everything kills the transfer of power.

If you're wanting around 400 to the tire I'd go this route:
Cam
Tune
Full exhaust
Fast 90/90
CAI
And a z06 clutch/flywheel.

Or:
100 shot

Or:
Maggie

It really depends on where you want to make the power, if you want to open the motor up, and how much you want to spend.

If I had a choice I'd put a maggie with a tune and be done with it for a long time.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:31 AM
Launching!

Seriously?! If those are really your cars in your sig, then why are you looking at a slow CTS-V.?
Old 05-02-2009, 07:11 AM
Launching!

[QUOTE=PsiHigh;11529226]
Originally Posted by jerrycecco
Well you can always look for a V with a Maggie/blower on it OR add one...
I've read V with a Blower can make 450+ to the wheels.

CAM adds about 30, headers & cam adds 60-70,
headers, cam & heads can add 100 or more....
all depends how far you want to go.
Or pop of a 2009 V -- about a month ago, I saw a dead stock 2009 V make 511rhwp, but like everything in life....that's going to cost you about $63k new..

You can search youtube "CTSV dyno" for differenct results....

OR YOU CAN SPEND $3,700 IN PARTS, AND BUILT A REMOTE MOUNT TURBO
SYSTEM YOURSELF AND MAKE JUST AS MUCH AS AN O9 (IF NOT MORE WITH METH) USING LESS BOOST, AND HAVE THAT COOL FACTOR YOU CAN ONLY GET WITH A TURBO CHARGED GM V8.
This I did not know, I'd like to hear more especially the installation procedure.
Can you point me (us) to a URL with more information?
Do you have this turbo in your V?

jerrycecco@tx.rr.com
Old 05-02-2009, 09:18 AM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

redneck.....

The CTS-V is deceiving. I, as well as two of my co-workers can attest to that. The reason is because it "hooks". It will grab and go. I think your used to having limited traction in your 600HP+ cars and psychological factors. One of my co-workers has a 94/95 (which ever had mustang on the rear bumper)... he fully built the motor for nitrous...forged everything... T56 to 3.73's in the rear. His step dad owns a performance shop in dallas. So him and his step dad know what they are doing.

His reaction to a ride in the V: "WOW... i never would have thought a cadillac would pull like that. Has a really nice hook and great get up."

You won't regret purchasing if you have to run stock for a while. It is a lot of fun to drive. Grips corners like no other.

Last edited by -T-; 12-12-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

thanks for the replies everybody.

taking it from the top...

itsslow98, yeah im aware of that. its not so much the power its just how restrictive the stock part in general. but it appears caddy did it right and used a less restrictive catback, and intake, thats good on their part. theres alot of others that have good stuff fromt eh factory too.

danv, i didnt know how to do it, i dont see how it could make the car any faster though.

jerrycecco, i dont want a blower. i liek the instant NA power and torque, ive waited for power to come in long enough. i also think its pointless to slap a 5PSI blower on a car when 2PSI of the power its making is probably being used just to run the blower.

Psihigh, you couldnt give me another turbo, especially a rear mounted one. i cant stand lag.

jerrad, i certainly took that into consideration. that thing has WAY WAY WAY too mcuh rubber in it, the only rubber it SHOULD have is the tires. i figured it was not only causing it to lose more power through the drivetrain, but also making it feel slower aswell. with the price of the maggie, i can buy a NICE set of heads, cam, full exhaust, and tune and make 450WHP and it will always be there, and it will be easier on the motor than the blower, and i think you'll find thats alot more than just the maggie alone will make. a shot of spray is a must on a LSX motor

black02ls1, i want a fun car with 4 doors that can comfortably haul 4 people. sure the cobra is 4 seater, but unless your a midget the rear seat is useless and a PITA to get in and out of. i also want something more plush and luxurious than a mustang.

T, normally this would hold true because a car isnt fast if it cant go anywhere, but its not true with my cobra. with the 295/45/17 MT's with a good hot road i can leave at 3000RPM no problem, and never even spin the tires. before i discovered the M/T's and had some garbage nitto 315/35/17 DR's i would roast them from an 80 roll. when you have a 3300lbs 600+ WHP car of course its going to crap all over a 3850lbs 330WHP car. the cobra weighs 550lbs less than a CTS-V as it sets, and makes near double the power. but comparing the two jsut inst fair, two different animals, and as ive stated i dont want another car as fast as my cobra.

the only way to do this may be to jsut have both
Old 05-02-2009, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

see my sig for my mods and dyno numbers. You can easily achieve 420-430 with the right cam + full bolt ons.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PsiHigh
lag? who has lag? lol
lag comes from greed and bigger parts not needed for
great results. or poor system design.(as your 106mm turbo on a 5.4 attests to)

would you say a shelby gt 500 has lag? (pully,cai,axleback,tune+ dynojet= 520rwhp)
after racing one, i would say either he does or i don't.

are you sure your not just here to relive your past history with ford, or do you really
want a cts-v? as most men know what they want as soon as they see it.

also caddy has a ton of pesky knock sensors, so trying to tune around them with nos
should be fun. and cyl pressure whether it's nos, s/c, or turbo, it's all the same thing.
only n2o is alot more dangerouse and never there when you need it.
turbo's lag, i dont care what setup you have, thats there downfall. if you deny this its only because your ignoring it, but you can shake you head all you want and it wont go away. NA has instant power and throttle response, you cant beat it.

if your going to turn this into a ford vs. chevy debate and start in on how may or may not be better than the other than jsut get out of my thread right now, i dont want it.

hwo many cars have you tuned? any good tuner will have no more trouble tuning a car with knock sensor's a nitrous, than one wiht knock sensor's and boost. and two equal weight equal power car's one with nitrous and the other with boost, the nitrous car is going to roll out and the boost car will never catch back up. you can beat your chest with your turbo car, its seems like all you do here, but it doesnt impress me one bit when i can slap on a set of heads, a cam, full exhaust, and intake and make more power while putting no additional stress on the motor.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 04ctsvfl
see my sig for my mods and dyno numbers. You can easily achieve 420-430 with the right cam + full bolt ons.
thanks, exactly what i was looking for. those seem like great numbers, and it does show that you didnt skimp, and you got a good tune. and it does show that 400+ is easily doable with a cam in addition. i actually found a local guy here thats manking over 450 with heads and cam, and he said there are several making more than him. im not going to do a very aggressive cam, but im just curious as to what one of these things may do with a aggressive cam, heads, full exhaust, CAI, and FAST 90/90. would it hit 500WHP with a aggressive tune, or am i just getting greedy at that point?
Old 05-02-2009, 02:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

do heads cam headers and youll be happy. wont have to worry about filling bottles and for the price of a nice nitrous kit with all the accessories you are looking at basically the exact same price as a cam kit installed and tuned. Its crazy but you wont have to pay 50 bucks to fill the bottle every other week. That was my main thing with going nitrous on the V i hated having to get the bottle filled all the time and I didn't use it that much.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

ud need all the basic little mods too....

water pump
under drive pulley
injectors
fuel pump
port and polish the fast
springs hardened pushrods etc.
fuel rails
no cats
cutouts

theres probably a few more things that youd milk some power from.
ditching some accessories. etc

Good luck. Im glad someones going to try and tackle this beast N/A all out!!!!!!
Old 05-02-2009, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

also youd probably make more power through a solid axle....but now were getting quite expensive.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

Just do what I have in my sig and you will have a car that is reliable and still a blast to drive. Granted it cost more than what you want to do but blower cars are just so much fun to drive. I'm making 9lbs of boost with my setup and I know the engine can handle a lot more but its safe this way.

Before you ask, I dont have any dyno to post nor do I know what it makes. I just know that it will pull you to 150 pretty quick lol
Old 05-03-2009, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

HA, go to hell bro, nobody likes you anyway. people come to a forum to get ADVICE, not just after they've bought the car.

if you have a problem me asking about a car i dont have YET, THEN FEEL FREE NOT TO OPEN MY ******* THREAD.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

psi is a moron, and yes noone likes him....not sure why he bothers to stick around.

Given his demeanor, hed be king of the thrown in the s r t 4 - skittlefish crowds.

Head that way psi.....please?

Quick Reply: how much power increase from cam, exhaust, intake, tune?