Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Installed Steering Rack and Pinion... new problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 07:56 AM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed Steering Rack and Pinion... new problem

Well, ordered up my rack and pinion from Autozone. Received it yesterday at 3PM.

Started around 5:45. Already had the wheels off, so i started taking everything apart; sway bar, sway bar end links, tie rods and steering rack. Couldn't get the rack out without dropping the sub frame. Ran to my dads house to get another set of jack stands and another jack. Dropped the sub frame a few inches and she came right on out.

Counted threads on tie rod ends. Switched them over to the new rack. Put her in. Bolted up the sub frame, motor mounts, tie rods, and steering rack. Started connecting up the pressure and return line feeds... Pressure input is too deep. Nut bottoms out on rack before line is tight. Drug the other rack over to see if that was the case with the old one and it isn't. Rack is f!@#$D.

Called Luke at Lindsay and he said they are on a 5-6 month back order with no answer from GM. WTF!
Old 11-11-2009, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude that sucks! i was actually reading up on this as i got a bad inner tierod now...from what i can find there is no difference between the cts w/sport vs the cts-v..they had one other rack on the reg cts w/soft ride...if you can find that then you might get lucky..i see them on ebay but no cts-v's although: you might have the reg one and thats whats causing your problem...

you can always bring your old one into someone good and have it rebuilt
Old 11-11-2009, 08:59 AM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

i wasn't able to find anyone around central texas. I have asked the auto parts stores and dealerships if they knew of anyone that would rebuild it. No luck. I think i found one. The biggest issue with buying auto parts is that every major seller changes the part number due to different parts/pieces being included. I work in the military world where parts have national stock numbers that you can cross reference EVERYTHING and see what differences there are. That along with tech data must be available for every part that has a national stock number. Too bad the automotive industry hasnt merged into that direction. It sure would make things alot easier on the consumer and gear head.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:46 PM

I am in the same boat. My '05 V is under warranty still, so it is sitting at the dealer here in Houston waiting on a rack. Have you tried any of the rack remanufacturers online? I've also found a few used ones at Cleveland-Pick-a-Part, if that would work for you. You can find them on Car-parts.com.

I'm trying to get my service writer to use a reman/rebuilt part...but we'll see. I can't tolerate a 6 month wait like some other's have seen...

Damn frustrating.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:39 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by -T-
Well, ordered up my rack and pinion from Autozone. Received it yesterday at 3PM.

Started around 5:45. Already had the wheels off, so i started taking everything apart; sway bar, sway bar end links, tie rods and steering rack. Couldn't get the rack out without dropping the sub frame. Ran to my dads house to get another set of jack stands and another jack. Dropped the sub frame a few inches and she came right on out.

Counted threads on tie rod ends. Switched them over to the new rack. Put her in. Bolted up the sub frame, motor mounts, tie rods, and steering rack. Started connecting up the pressure and return line feeds... Pressure input is too deep. Nut bottoms out on rack before line is tight. Drug the other rack over to see if that was the case with the old one and it isn't. Rack is f!@#$D.

Called Luke at Lindsay and he said they are on a 5-6 month back order with no answer from GM. WTF!
I thankfully have not had an issue with my steering rack ,yet, so i don't know from first hand experience, But if it is like most power steering pressure lines it has 6"-1' of steel line at the end. Take your pressure line into a shop that does hydraulic lines, most larger Napa stores do. Cut off the flare, slip off the stock short nut, install new longer nut and then re flare.

Good luck, if that wont work send some pictures so we can all get brainstorming for a fix.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:37 AM

Hey -T-, what's the word on your steering rack? Are you still waiting for one or did you find a rebuilder?
Old 01-11-2010, 09:14 AM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

No i got one. Found it off of ebay that day. OEM rack. Took about 6 hours to change it out myself. Unfortunate part is you have to drop your sub frame to remove and replace it.

http://www.buyautoparts.com/addtocar.../80-01199.html

$385 with $75 core. 1-888-907-7225 They helped me out a lot. They had the rack here in tx from cali the next morning.

Quick Reply: Installed Steering Rack and Pinion... new problem