Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

key fob and tire pressure monitors go out in cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 10:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default key fob and tire pressure monitors go out in cold weather

The temp got down to 25 last night and this morning the tire pressure monitors and key fob don't work. Is it possible that its related to the cold weather? Its 35 now and I just went back out to my car and both systems still do not work...blah. AND my powersteering pump screams when it gets into the 30's or below. It is quiet if its warm out. It was the coldest night in 2 years (and getting colder as the week goes on..lol). I might just stop driving it for the week..lol.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:21 PM
Launching!

wish I could help. My tire pressure monitors work and we got down to 19* here last night. The TPM's run off batteries right? Well if it gets cold and your batteries are running low on power the cold will zap the rest of the power out till they warm up.

As for the power steering pump....could be the bearings need to be replaced.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

I added one or two ounces of powersteering fluid and now it is fine. I knew it was a little low, but didn't think it would be that big of a deal.

The remote and tire pressure sensors still dont work though and they worked yesterday..lol.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:37 PM
TECH Regular

My front left TPS went out on the roadtrip from Miami to Chicago, right around the same time my display notified me that it was icy out It randomly went on and off for the next day and now it won't turn back on.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Resident

My front right has been on and off for the last few days and now all 4 dont work..which sucks because I have a tire with a leak in it...it only leaks when sitting up and its random as to how much it leaks in a day. Some days it doesnt leak at all, some days I have to add 10lbs of air.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am having the same issue. All 4 tire pressure sensors are not displaying and the key fob doesn't work anymore.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:57 AM
11 Second Club

Someone please chime in?
Old 02-13-2012, 09:10 AM
TECH Resident

Did you try what I suggested in the PM?
Old 02-13-2012, 09:18 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JJSimon904
Did you try what I suggested in the PM?
Yes, disconnecting the battery did nothing.

Is the TPMS directly tied into the Alarm System?
Old 02-13-2012, 09:33 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah the key fob needs to be working to do the tpms reset. I just don't remember if I needed my friend with a tech 2 to get the key fob working or if it came back on its own.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:08 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JJSimon904
Yeah the key fob needs to be working to do the tpms reset. I just don't remember if I needed my friend with a tech 2 to get the key fob working or if it came back on its own.
Yes, but if it is the Key fob that quite working, then there should be no reason that the TPMS doesn't work or should stop working.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 9t8z28
I am having the same issue. All 4 tire pressure sensors are not displaying and the key fob doesn't work anymore.
That makes 3 of us!!! I had a post up about this a while ago but nothing worked. Same thing key remote and tire sensors. Mine went out with my car just parked in early october so it has nothing to do with the cold. Also I have a valvestem on one tire that continuously leaked think this could have triggered the loss of the pressure sensors but wtf does it have to do with my remote??? I know if they "reboot" my comp at the local kelly cadi, the dude said its like $118 or something of the sorts. Think that should reset everything cause I'm sick of not beeing able to open and lock my damn doors and especially the fkn trunk. Thanks for not putting a key hole in the trunk or a push button Cadillac! Always fun to have to lower the rear seats, climb in the trunk, and pop the emergency hatch.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:47 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by kl2onik
That makes 3 of us!!! I had a post up about this a while ago but nothing worked. Same thing key remote and tire sensors. Mine went out with my car just parked in early october so it has nothing to do with the cold. Also I have a valvestem on one tire that continuously leaked think this could have triggered the loss of the pressure sensors but wtf does it have to do with my remote??? I know if they "reboot" my comp at the local kelly cadi, the dude said its like $118 or something of the sorts. Think that should reset everything cause I'm sick of not beeing able to open and lock my damn doors and especially the fkn trunk. Thanks for not putting a key hole in the trunk or a push button Cadillac! Always fun to have to lower the rear seats, climb in the trunk, and pop the emergency hatch.
Your button on the driver side door for the trunk doesn't work either? I haven't tried that.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:13 AM
Teching In

my tpms quit working on 2 of my tires also. one will work randomly and turn back on but the other is not reading anything at all
Old 02-16-2012, 02:19 PM
TECH Veteran

The key fob and tpms are linked to the little module in the rear of your headliner. I know because when i swapped from my tan to black interior, i forgot to swap that module and dealt with these same annoying problems. Managed to get my old module back off my old headliner and installed it which solved my problem. Id bet its that module thats being effected by the weather since it controls both the remote fob and tpms.

I however have had my passenger rear tpms sensor turning off every once in awhile but it always comes back on a couple mins later. The other 3 have never gone out on me but I am assuming since the life expectancy on the tpms sensors is 6-7 years, its prob the first to start to going out due to age. Ill prob replace the set when i buy my next set of tires.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
The key fob and tpms are linked to the little module in the rear of your headliner. I know because when i swapped from my tan to black interior, i forgot to swap that module and dealt with these same annoying problems. Managed to get my old module back off my old headliner and installed it which solved my problem. Id bet its that module thats being effected by the weather since it controls both the remote fob and tpms.

I however have had my passenger rear tpms sensor turning off every once in awhile but it always comes back on a couple mins later. The other 3 have never gone out on me but I am assuming since the life expectancy on the tpms sensors is 6-7 years, its prob the first to start to going out due to age. Ill prob replace the set when i buy my next set of tires.
What does this module look like? Is it different for 04 cars since the antenna is external?
Old 02-16-2012, 04:56 PM
TECH Resident

possible batteries. the ones in the sensors, and in the fob.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
possible batteries. the ones in the sensors, and in the fob.
The chances of all four TPMS batteries and the Key Fob battery all dieing at the same time is like one in a Trillion.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:07 PM
TECH Resident

not necessarily. average 4 to 5 year lifespan...........anyway, you asked for help...i offered a suggestion. don't be a wise ***.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Module is a small electrical box that clips into the headliner above the dome light. If I remember correctly, it has 2 wires that plug into it and a small wire that comes out of it to the dome light I believe. Been awhile since I messed with mine. The screw under ur dome light goes through the metal of this module to work as a ground. My car is an 04. I'm not sure if the 05's are different or not but I doubt it.

Quick Reply: key fob and tire pressure monitors go out in cold weather