Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

now on to axles

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 12:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default now on to axles

so i will be replacing that shattered glass diff of mine, and in order to prevent the same fate for my new one i will be taking care of some things, so these g-force and hendrix axle kits? work good? what are some differences or are there other brands? from what i get both are just axle shafts, no c-v's? is it necessary to upgrade c-v joints r any other parts in the rear for better performance and durability on a stock daily driver that gets the occasional spirited runs?
Old 02-20-2010, 12:47 AM
Staging Lane

plus where are good places to buy these products? +i need a special diff installer/remover tool?

Last edited by TomJoeC88; 02-20-2010 at 01:19 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I love my hendrix axle, mine came pre-assembled...to order just call him direct...I don't see the point of upgraded cv's as you'll prolly blow the diff again if you need your components to handle that much power....dunno about any special tools for the diff.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

theres been like 20 threads about axles and all info you could want...just use the search
Old 02-20-2010, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
theres been like 20 threads about axles and all info you could want...just use the search
...and you are always the first to bring this to everyones attention! thank you! without you, the rest of us may think this is something new...
Old 02-20-2010, 10:15 AM
Staging Lane

yea ive searched im just doin all the research possible. spending all this money isnt easy for me. the car is worth less than 20 prolly so it is hard to spend more than 10-20% of that on rear axle components without getting everything i want to know lol ive done some searching now for a couple hours and beleive i got from it that the joints dont come with axle sets but im just making sure. so if i look under there and one could use replacement when this all happens should i just buy stock?
Old 02-20-2010, 10:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

get the axle assembled, its not that hard to do by yourself but for the money they charge just get them to do it. I just did mine yesterday and it was a learning experience but air tools and a lift help a lot.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blk04V
...and you are always the first to bring this to everyones attention! thank you! without you, the rest of us may think this is something new...
its a good thing
Old 02-20-2010, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TomJoeC88
so if i look under there and one could use replacement when this all happens should i just buy stock?
1500 for axles and joints or 3-600 for axles and stockers....depends on ur budget... id say if ur not putting down big numbers save the dough for future mods
Old 02-20-2010, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Both work. I prefer Gforce.

http://shop.gforce1320.com/category.sc?categoryId=22
Old 02-20-2010, 03:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
1500 for axles and joints or 3-600 for axles and stockers....depends on ur budget... id say if ur not putting down big numbers save the dough for future mods
alright cool i was thinking so as long as theyre still good. im not putting down any number greater than stock and i drive normal 90% of the time but that 10% it better hold up lol nothing more embarrassing than smashing on a mustang or even worse some ricer then not being able to drive away
Old 02-20-2010, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

whats the best rear diff bushing to stop that clunk between shifts? i hear about this creative steel one in my searches but cannot for the life of me find anywhere to buy it
Old 02-20-2010, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

whats the best rear diff bushing to stop that clunk between shifts? i hear about this creative steel one in my searches but cannot for the life of me find anywhere to buy it
Creative steel is the way to go. You need to call Max or Kristie at 503-316-1811. They are on the West Coast but ship 2 day priority mail.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by whisler151
Whistler... what is it about the gforce axle that you like the best? Do they offer the axle assembled for extra money?

I am looking hard at 04 & 05s (want the LS6) but the warranty for these is normally long gone. Many of them haven't had the diff replaced either. Am thinking one of the first mods will be an aftermarket axle... to get its wheel hop advantages, but also to take some of the strain off of the diff so hopefully I won't have to be replacing it as soon.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by manycars
Whistler... what is it about the gforce axle that you like the best? Do they offer the axle assembled for extra money?

I am looking hard at 04 & 05s (want the LS6) but the warranty for these is normally long gone. Many of them haven't had the diff replaced either. Am thinking one of the first mods will be an aftermarket axle... to get its wheel hop advantages, but also to take some of the strain off of the diff so hopefully I won't have to be replacing it as soon.
The aftermarket axle is a must. I wish I would have had it from the start.

I'm sure he will assemble them if you need. After speaking with Chris (Gforce), I was sold. He actually makes his products and knows them in and out. It didn't hurt that my shop SNL (Monster Clutch) highly recommended him.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SkullV
Creative steel is the way to go. You need to call Max or Kristie at 503-316-1811. They are on the West Coast but ship 2 day priority mail.
cool thanks. is it just the diff bushing that makes that ugly "clunk on most shifts? cuz that has been happening since i got the car and before the diff went. or would the trans bushing cause noise problems too?
Old 02-20-2010, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

cool thanks. is it just the diff bushing that makes that ugly "clunk on most shifts? cuz that has been happening since i got the car and before the diff went. or would the trans bushing cause noise problems too?
It is hard to tell, the MOST common causes of clunk are a worn diff bushing and a broken friction spring in the dual mass flywheel. I have poly motor/trans/diff mounts and a single mass flywheel and my clunk is 98% gone. As soon as someone comes out with a poly drive shaft doughnut it will be 100% gone.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:28 PM
FormerVendor

so i will be replacing that shattered glass diff of mine, and in order to prevent the same fate for my new one i will be taking care of some things, so these g-force and hendrix axle kits? work good? what are some differences or are there other brands? from what i get both are just axle shafts, no c-v's? is it necessary to upgrade c-v joints r any other parts in the rear for better performance and durability on a stock daily driver that gets the occasional spirited runs?
We designed our axle replacement kit just for guys like you that dont make a 1000hp and dont want to spend $1800. on axles you dont need.
We have both the driver and passenger side axles if you want to do both.
http://www.shop.gforce1320.com/categ...?categoryId=22

And like Wisler said, we design and make our products
Give me a call if you want to talk about the axles.

Thanks
Chris
316-650-4270
Old 02-20-2010, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SkullV
It is hard to tell, the MOST common causes of clunk are a worn diff bushing and a broken friction spring in the dual mass flywheel. I have poly motor/trans/diff mounts and a single mass flywheel and my clunk is 98% gone. As soon as someone comes out with a poly drive shaft doughnut it will be 100% gone.
Yeah, getting rid of the stock flywheel will help tons. Replacing the diff bushing should help a lot. I'm still working on getting mine swapped out.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just to clarify, and NOT to start a vendor war. Hendrix also designed their single econo-axle solution in house. It works great on every year of the V1.

Quick Reply: now on to axles