Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Good ole antifreeze smell (with new radiatior)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good ole antifreeze smell (with new radiatior)

Here's my issue. Got my car back from the shop 2 weeks ago, last week started smelling antifreeze after car got to operating temp. No leak to be found but loosing antifreeze. So, I took it back to the shop and they did a compression test. Resulted in replacing the radiator.

Problem now, again starting to smell antifreeze when hot, at a red light temp goes from 195* to 225* pretty quick (don't know if this is typical, never paid attention before), no leaks anywhere to be found, and still losing 1-1 1/2 inches of fluid a day in the overflow tank. My initial thought was they didn't replace the radiator and just added some stop leak that didn't work, but that was not the case, I do know it's a new radiator.

Any thoughts, new radiator bad? any other thoughts/suggestions? I'll be taking it back to the shop, they lifetime guarantee all the work, but I want to have some facts in hand when I go back to them.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

a guy i know that has a V was having the same problem. he pressurized it and said he saw antifreeze coming out of the coolant lines underneath the intake manifold. check around there.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:51 AM

I'll check that, thanks.

Quick Reply: Good ole antifreeze smell (with new radiatior)