Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Couple issues im trying to solve....

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 11:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Couple issues im trying to solve....

Ok, guys, hoping someone can help me out with this...

At times, I have this sound in the car thats like a "whining" sound and it adjusts in volume with how fast im going. Im pretty sure its not the rear though i know everyone says the rear whines. My rear actually sounds quiet from what i can tell. This sound sounds like its coming from the shifter boot area if anything and its most common at highway speed. When I speed up, its a little louder and when i slow down, it quiets down until its completely gone at lower speeds. The odd thing is, sometimes it wont make the noise at all and then out of nowhere, it starts doing it and most of the time, its when i shift gears again (primarily 6th it seems but prob only because thats my highway gear) that the noise is triggered. Could it be the trans whining?

Im not sure why it would but im just looking at options. The car runs and shifts fine... just makes this whine at times that i'd like to get figured out.

2nd...

When the car is idling (usually in the morning when cold), i can hear a faint pulley type whining sound from under the hood at times. Its not very loud and you can normally only hear it outside of the car but im **** and i think its a little louder than it should be. What commonly goes bad under there? Could it be a pulley making the noise or would the water pump or a/c clutch do it if they are going out? Im familiar with what a bad pulley sounds like when it goes completely bad because of previous cars ive owned in the past... (sounds like that grinding, rattle type sound and you can usually tell exactly which one is doing it) and thats not it. Its nowhere near that bad.

Like i said, the car runs and drives great. The temp always stays cool (below 198* or so in tx heat). A/C blows ice cold, heat is hot, idle is normal, clutch feels good, etc. It just has these couple minor sounds id like to get solved if anyone has experienced this same type thing and has an idea of what it might be....

Old 04-07-2010, 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

do you have an aftermarket shifter? could make the noise more pronounced

power steering pumps are known to go bad sometimes which may be the cause of the noise under the hood, id check for leaks and the fluid level.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by itsslow98
do you have an aftermarket shifter? could make the noise more pronounced

power steering pumps are known to go bad sometimes which may be the cause of the noise under the hood, id check for leaks and the fluid level.
Shifter is a stock modded shifter. The sound was there before we modded it though so i dont think its shifter related... just sounds like its coming from the shifter area but sitting in the drivers seat, its hard to tell.

Hmm... might have to check that. I havent had any issues with my steering at all as far as the power steering failing or anything and i havent noticed any sign of anything leaking under the car. Ill take a look though just so i can eliminate that as the issue.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:58 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The whining might be coolant flowing through the heater hose. Mine does it on the highway and can hear it by the passenger footwell. At least you could when I had stock exhaust.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 07CTS-V
The whining might be coolant flowing through the heater hose. Mine does it on the highway and can hear it by the passenger footwell. At least you could when I had stock exhaust.
Hmmm... that might be it because thats right about where the sound comes from. Maybe its not shifting to 6th that triggers it, maybe its just when it gets to running temp and the coolant starts moving.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:11 PM
Launching!

I had a similar issue which seemed to me to come from passenger footwell area. I don't think it came back after I got new tires, but I really wasn't in the car long after the tires to confirm.

You're not crazy though. I swear there was a noise too.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TexVette
I had a similar issue which seemed to me to come from passenger footwell area. I don't think it came back after I got new tires, but I really wasn't in the car long after the tires to confirm.

You're not crazy though. I swear there was a noise too.
I was also thinking maybe a wheel bearing/hub or something but wouldnt it make noise constantly?

I just put new wheels/tires on the car and the noise didnt change. That would have been nice though had it fixed it!! lol

And thanks man... i dont feel so bad now being picky... lol
Old 04-19-2011, 11:07 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My pass rear wheel bearing just went bad it seems. Makes a loud whining sound.

I thought it was the rear but putting her on stands and idling the car in 6th the drivers rear wheel is silent. The rear is silent. And the pass rear wheel is making a little noise. It would also explain why when I turn right the sound goes away.

Now to replace it... whenever I have time.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:01 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a rear wheel bearing go bad also, it was silent when up on jack stands too. I swapped it and it was clearly bad. Sometimes you have to have a side load on the bearing for it to make noise.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:36 PM
Staging Lane

Mine makes the same sound....from what I have read its the carrier bearing for the Drive Shaft. If it is, open up your wallet....you have to replace the entire DS for around 900 bucks. I've been looking for a used one or maybe an aftermarket from from DSS....Not sure how long they last once they start making noise.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried changing the trans fluid? Couldnt hurt anything...
Old 04-20-2011, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kjr6306
Mine makes the same sound....from what I have read its the carrier bearing for the Drive Shaft. If it is, open up your wallet....you have to replace the entire DS for around 900 bucks. I've been looking for a used one or maybe an aftermarket from from DSS....Not sure how long they last once they start making noise.

What he said!!!

Remo
Old 04-20-2011, 11:31 PM
Staging Lane

yea i had that noise and next time your in the car try and notice if the noise changes or goes away when you veer a certain direction... if it does.. mine was the pass side wheel bearing... hope this helps.... if it is then its really easy to replace, and relatively cheap

Quick Reply: Couple issues im trying to solve....