Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

XPipe? Remove mufflers? What do you think?

Old 06-06-2010, 01:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XPipe? Remove mufflers? What do you think?

So I picked up my V a month ago and I need a better exhaust note. Nothing too obnoxious and I'm not going to worry about the headers or cats just yet...those will come later.

I took the V to an exhaust shop to have the muffler delete done....and to my surprise the previous owner had the resonators removed. The rest of the exhaust is stock. So I didnt want the mufflers removed after seeing that.

So what do you think would sounds the best out of these 'on the cheap' options I thought up? I like the 'hollow' 'tinny' mean sounding exhaust sound....without being too loud...if that makes sense? haha

The stock resonators are already removed.

Install and X Pipe and:
-Gut the existing stock mufflers
-Remove the stock mufflers
-replace the mufflers with suitable fitting replacements (any recommendations??)

OR

Install a 2IN/2OUT mufflers where the resonators were and:
-remove or gut the stock mufflers

Thoughts?

Oh and where is the best place to purchase an X Pipe??

Thanks!

Last edited by guitar333; 06-06-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:15 AM
Teching In

Hey hows it going? Congrats on owning a V. Your best bet is a universal X pipe that is 2.5" in and out 4" on center. With those specs you can get a muffler shop to weld it in. I think my X pipe was $30 on ebay shipped. No rear mufflers and a X pipe in place of the big suitcase. Sounds good not as loud as a BB or corsa. It lets the car sound like It should Not like a Camaro.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:56 AM
TECH Resident

I have the x pipe and no mufflers....i hate how much it crackles and pops. I wish I had left one or the other on. I'm now looking for aftermarket mufflers to quiet it down. But different strokes for different folks and what sounds bad to me, sounds like angels humping to someone else.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:47 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by deedubb
I have the x pipe and no mufflers....i hate how much it crackles and pops. I wish I had left one or the other on. I'm now looking for aftermarket mufflers to quiet it down. But different strokes for different folks and what sounds bad to me, sounds like angels humping to someone else.
haha thats true, like when i run open manifolds at times i LOVE how it crackles and pops, makes my rev matches so rewarding.

But hey everyone likes something else.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by deedubb
I agree 100%. I loved the sound when you are on it but the crackle and pop is just horrible. Makes it really sound cheap. I put the resonator back in and left the mufflers out and it really does sound great.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

long tubes, high flow cats, stock resonators and no muffler= popping if you hit just the right RPMs when you shift. I hate the pop but its not worth sacrificing the overall sound.

Now if it sounded like a SRT4 aka trench in vietnam being shot at....id have to do something about it.

Best bet is to leave the resonator(put back in if you have it) and cut the mufflers IMO. Or put in an X and weld in some mufflers of your choice.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:23 AM
Launching!

Biased - but best sound I have heard to date is my bassani weld in's and an X-Pipe sans resonator...

That's me... Lot of magnaflow fans.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:58 AM
On The Tree

Well I already have the resonators removed and I want to remove or replace the stock mufflers.

I'm thinking of sticking one of these where the resonators were and then doing the mufflers delete..... Thoughts?
Old 06-07-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

you keep saying resonator"S".....there is only one resonator in the stock system.

So you have the cats.....resonator.......mufflers. What do you have?
Old 06-07-2010, 11:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by guitar333
Well I already have the resonators removed and I want to remove or replace the stock mufflers.

I'm thinking of sticking one of these where the resonators were and then doing the mufflers delete..... Thoughts?
Your call - listen to a flowchamber exhaust... it would be similar to that. I have one on my Mustang it sounds good, but doesn't do much for flow. X-Pipe's are cheap on ebay and are perfectly spaced to replace the res. That's the most common setup though...

If you want something different... that'd be something to try. If I were you I'd try to find one someone's selling off of their chevy truck on craigslist though before I bought one new.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:40 PM
On The Tree

I only assumed there were two in the stock config.

Ive got stock cats with straight piping from each back to the stock mufflers.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

the resonator would be about 18" long in the center of the car(looks just like a full size muffler) between the cats and mufflers. If you don thave the resonator are they just two seperate pipes going back to the stock mufflers?
Old 06-08-2010, 12:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by itsslow98
the resonator would be about 18" long in the center of the car(looks just like a full size muffler) between the cats and mufflers. If you don thave the resonator are they just two seperate pipes going back to the stock mufflers?
yeah dood...one straight pipe from each cat running to each muffler. Does the stock resonator have dual inlet/outlet or what?
Old 06-08-2010, 01:08 AM
TECH Resident

stock resonator is dual in/dual out. Stock resonator picture is on the bottom, X-pipe on top for comparison.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:53 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1V2Envy
I agree 100%. I loved the sound when you are on it but the crackle and pop is just horrible. Makes it really sound cheap. I put the resonator back in and left the mufflers out and it really does sound great.
I dont have that problem with mine. I have x-pipe and no mufflers and it is way smoother than I ever expected it to be. I have zero rasp and only the occasional pop. I've had no mufflers on other cars (fbodys, etc) and this is by far the best sounding one.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

^ yeap! same here. pops when the engine is cold. once it warms up it just sounds sweeet! i get nothing but compliments. "hey you, what you got under that hood"! lol
Old 06-08-2010, 07:21 PM
TECH Resident

EVERY gas station I go to, I have someone walk up to me to ask about the car...they seem more impressed that it is a manual caddie than the engine being from the corvette..haha.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: XPipe? Remove mufflers? What do you think?