Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint?

So my hood is petty rough with little white spots from debris. The thing is what to do about paint? I could just repaint the hood OR I could go ahead and repaint the entire car. I know painting the hood would only be a few hundred bucks so do able this season. Or I could wait until October and have the whole car repainted when it gets garaged for winter. If so what would you expect to pay? Cost for paint? I would do either a matte black or blue.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Yeqon
So my hood is petty rough with little white spots from debris. The thing is what to do about paint? I could just repaint the hood OR I could go ahead and repaint the entire car. I know painting the hood would only be a few hundred bucks so do able this season. Or I could wait until October and have the whole car repainted when it gets garaged for winter. If so what would you expect to pay? Cost for paint? I would do either a matte black or blue.
Have you tried to clay bar and then rotary buff/polish the hood. Trust me I've taken chalk board looking paint back to its original shine. Relatively easy with the right tools and practice. Anyways I would try that before painting since its cheap and you keep the factory paint. As far as a total paint job, I would expact anywhere from $5000 and up for a full color change to be done correctly. The matte black will be considerably cheaper because of the finish steps not needed.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Where do you live?
Old 07-28-2010, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

Minneapolis... If I have little white chips in the paint though... is that something that can be clay bar and polished out? I do have GM touch up but don't want to start a paint by number on my hood.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Minneapolis... If I have little white chips in the paint though... is that something that can be clay bar and polished out? I do have GM touch up but don't want to start a paint by number on my hood.
Are you able to take a high res. picture for us? Show us the damage

I am a paint expert, I will help you!

What color are we dealing with?

-Adam
Old 07-29-2010, 10:09 AM
Staging Lane

I should be able to this afternoon. Thanks Adam! It is Raven black. The nice thing is the rest of the body is great! I just hate all the white little specks all over the hood. I am reluctant to say this, but .... I know Midas has a glaze that they will do for like $300 that also will help fix chips. But I am no paint expert!
Old 07-29-2010, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I should be able to this afternoon. Thanks Adam! It is Raven black. The nice thing is the rest of the body is great! I just hate all the white little specks all over the hood. I am reluctant to say this, but .... I know Midas has a glaze that they will do for like $300 that also will help fix chips. But I am no paint expert!
Black is tuff, as we all know! All it takes is for 1 crappy wash / glaze / wax for your WHOLE clear coat to be ruined. Then you have to "cut" the clear in a sense.

As far as the Midas glaze thing goes, DON'T DO IT!

You could repaint hood, bumper, fenders and have it blended to the rest of the 5 year aged paint. That's most likely your top notch direction but if the paint is chipped, then know need for buffing or glazing.

How is the clear coat?
Old 07-29-2010, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

My camera didn't pick it up well. I will try and grab a better camera tomorrow. I think the clear is still okay. There are some swirls. I think probably from a bad clay job in the past. I am a little afraid to clay bar on my own. I did use polish and it looked good for a few days.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Yo, just had my bumper and hood repainted. You should swing by the shop and check it out!

BTW, you still looking to buy a nitrous kit? I have a full CTS-V specific kit for sale! I'll even install it for ya
Old 08-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

Adam, where did you get the paint done? Approx cost?

I still can't find a good enough camera to really pick up the specks.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:47 PM
TECH Resident

I have the little white chips too (a bunch of them up near the washer nozzles). I was washing it today and a few dime sized chunks of paint flew off....DAMMIT. That's 2 dime sized chunks out of the hood and I have another 2 dime sized chunks missing from the rear fender. I can still see a matte black type finish underneath. Does this mean that I have just lost clear?

I assume I'll need a hood repaint now too.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Adam, where did you get the paint done? Approx cost?

I still can't find a good enough camera to really pick up the specks.
I have Stuarts Paint and Body do ALL of my paint work, they are in TX though!

I have been messing around with painting cars for over 10 years.

I suggest repainting the hood, front bumper and have the fenders blended to the rest of the car's aged paint.

PM me and we will chat on the phone about paint!

-Adam
Old 08-02-2010, 04:04 PM
Teching In

He was talking to me. My name is Adam as well!

I had it done by Minnetonka Collision. They are right by the shop! Shoot me an email;

adam@maperformance.com
Old 08-03-2010, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AdamatPLSX
He was talking to me. My name is Adam as well!

I had it done by Minnetonka Collision. They are right by the shop! Shoot me an email;

adam@maperformance.com
Ha, I was like Staurts is in DFW but here you go!

Sorry guys!

-Adam

Quick Reply: Paint?