Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

100K+ miles CTS-V?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 01:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 100K+ miles CTS-V?

What do you all think about the idea of purchasing a Cadillac CTS-V (maybe 2005)with slightly over 100,000 miles? I do not have a particular car in mind. It's just that the car has unfortunately not depreciated much at all and I really want the LS engine in a 4-door vehicle. I really don't like the Pontiac G8 at all and the reliability of that damn car hasbeen pretty bad too on top of it all. So, not really much of a choice for under $20,000.

Do you think the driving enjoyment, the solidity of the vehicle as a whole, the steering feel etc would be very much diminished after 100K miles? How about the engine? It is hard to say something without knowing the particular car, of course, but overall, would you expect such a performance engine to hold up well for 100K miles and beyond? Other thoughts?
Old 08-18-2010, 08:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Simply put I would NEVER get one. However, if you happened upon an obvious 'highway miles only' well-maintained car, it might be an exception. I imagine there are 'high end' salesmen out there that travel frequently racking up the mileage on the highway. You would really need to look hard for this example.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

A buddy of mine bought his brand new in 04 and has 120K miles on it if not more.

The car gets a BEATING, and I mean it. We are talking clutch drops from rolling starts, going sideways, bouncing it off the limiter in every parking lot, ALL kinds of stupid **** you wouldn't do to a rental.

It's got a CAI, long tubes, and a magnaflow catback, get driven every day of week, thru the Canadian winters and so far, no issues at all besides both cats getting burned out. The drivetrain is holding up excellent.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

say hello to the worst designed rear end since the 10 bolt. i think the v's are nice cars but they have so much trouble getting power to the ground without exploding
Old 08-18-2010, 11:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Too many gizmos on it for me too, aren't headlight assemblies like $500 each? That neat Cadillac stuff breaking isn't so neat when you have to pay to fix it. I'd go G8 or Trailblazer SS if you needed 4 doors and LS power.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Striker
A buddy of mine bought his brand new in 04 and has 120K miles on it if not more.

The car gets a BEATING, and I mean it. We are talking clutch drops from rolling starts, going sideways, bouncing it off the limiter in every parking lot, ALL kinds of stupid **** you wouldn't do to a rental.

It's got a CAI, long tubes, and a magnaflow catback, get driven every day of week, thru the Canadian winters and so far, no issues at all besides both cats getting burned out. The drivetrain is holding up excellent.
Thats the exception to the rule i would believe.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by omoplata
I really don't like the Pontiac G8 at all and the reliability of that damn car hasbeen pretty bad too on top of it all. So, not really much of a choice for under $20,000.
Where did you hear this? I havent heard much negative feedback on the G8's at all to say the reliability of them is poor. Ive heard more issues with CTS-V's, depending on the year you get.

A car with 100k miles on it, is more prone to problems then a lower mileage vehicle. I honestly would look for a lower mileage CTS-V.

Last edited by Badguy7; 08-18-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

All things being equal, couldn't you find a car you like and then put an ls into it?
Old 08-19-2010, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

the big thing you will have to worry about with an 04/05 V is if the rear diff was swapped. the diff that came up with the 07 is very stable. I have yet to hear of one having a complete failure. best to save the diff is get the bushings from UUC and all the wheel hop aids and rear braces.

I have seen a lot of these cars lasting over 100k. you just have to make sure the car was taken care of. but as we all know, the LSx engines are some of the best built 8s gm has built in a long time. you will see some up them in car with 150k to 200k on the clock.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so to all the people who say dont do it the V wont last........how many have personal experience or first hand experience with a V over 100k miles? The motor and trans will last for sure if its been maintained. If you dont plan to beat the **** out of it an original 04 diff will hold up too. Just be ready to do more maintence to the vehicle, shocks, clutch, brakes, fluids etc.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by itsslow98
so to all the people who say dont do it the V wont last........how many have personal experience or first hand experience with a V over 100k miles? The motor and trans will last for sure if its been maintained. If you dont plan to beat the **** out of it an original 04 diff will hold up too. Just be ready to do more maintence to the vehicle, shocks, clutch, brakes, fluids etc.
This x2
Old 08-19-2010, 02:28 AM
TECH Resident

Yep, lots of hearsay in the thread. You'll find a lot of breakage threads here because when they do break, people want help or ideas to fix it or upgrade it. Yes there are bad apples in the bunch, yes the rears are known to be weak. I have yet to hear a squeak or squeal out of my stock 05 rear end. The same can be said about many others. Then again, I don't drive my car like a 16 year old kid either. It's a Cadillac, not a drag car.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

The ls motor will last way over 100k . Things like bushings and motor mounts, the clutch will most likly need to be replaced . But guys with 30k need them replaced to. And if you want to drag race spend the 1500 on a diff upgrade and your all set.

G. Luck
Old 08-19-2010, 07:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Badguy7
Where did you hear this? I havent heard much negative feedback on the G8's at all to say the reliability of them is poor.
Read he G8 boards. it is often small stuff like doorlocks, windows, seatbelts... yes small but the list is very long

and that automatic transmission... forget about it; that kills it for me. If it were a very good one, as in the AMGs maybe, but eith the "shift flare" and the occasional hesitation of the trans to shift up or down and the serious cutback in torque due to the Torque Management Program.... not for me

If you are considering the G8, go to the G8 boards and read for a few good days before buying the car
Old 08-19-2010, 08:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by omoplata
and that automatic transmission... forget about it; that kills it for me. If it were a very good one, as in the AMGs maybe, but with the "shift flare" and the occasional hesitation of the trans to shift up or down and the serious cutback in torque due to the Torque Management Program.... not for me
It's the same basic transmission as in the 2010 V and all the C6 6-speed automatic cars. Is it "bad" there too?

HP Tuners or EFI Live with a good tuner handles both of the above "problems" and can tailor the transmission's characteristics to individual requirements (within mechanical design limits).
Old 08-19-2010, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

I bought mine a couple months back with right at 100 grand on the clock. I have do e minor bolt INS, etc and have driven the crap out of it.

I bought it because it was a single owner, woman's car and in fantastic shape. I promise you...if the nay-Sayers got in mine or saw it...you wouldn't think it was but a couple years old, much less with 100k.

It is all about maintenance and care. Don't let the mileage scare you off.

LAW
Old 08-19-2010, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

I bought an 05 with 97k on it 3 weeks ago and it has 98k now. As long as it's been maintained as issues crop up, I see no reason to avoid a higher mileage one. That's the only way I was going to get into a V with no car loan. Mine was only $15,400 and it's beautiful. NOBODY believes the year or especially mileage. It's light gray on stealth gray, 159 out of 4200 in 2005.

I realized that all the things that break seem to have no real relationship to mileage, so why pay twice as much for a low mile car? For what I saved I will gladly turn a wrench on this car, if I needed to.

Find one, drive one, and see. Mine drives great. The ONLY thing that really feels like miles to me is the transmission, and I have a jug of Amsoil Torque-Drive that will hopefully solve that gripe.

My car came with almost new FG2 shocks, Magnaflow exhaust, K&N FIPK, UUC shifter, chromed factory wheels and cross drilled rotors as the main mods. It has the 2nd revision diff, and a recent clutch and slave cylinder. I have the VIS and can plainly see that issues were addressed as they came up. The nav is original and the buttons aren't that bad!

I was looking at 2007s with 20-40k for $30,000, thinking I was going to buy my way to reliability with these cars - and this car for half that is a way, way, way better value. I would have been FURIOUS to have to work on my 30 thousand dollar used car, but on this one, I won't mind. For me, that made a huge difference, mentally.

I even have 2000 miles of CPO warranty left, in case something happens in the next few months. I am happy.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sure hope they hold up, I bought mine about 3 months ago with 62k on it and now have 84k on it. I drive it all over the southeast as a sales rep. I go through tires waaaaay before I will brakes since 95% of my miles are interstate.....got lucky and already had the diff upgrade when I got it.....Did have to change motor mounts when I got it though.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

if you look hard you can find a lower mileage V with under 100k, less than 20k.....Mine is an 05, 66K and I paid 17,500 for it
Old 08-20-2010, 12:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

i drive mine pretty hard. its an 05 with the original diff. i track it some. a few times on the strip. its has 87k right now.

Quick Reply: 100K+ miles CTS-V?